Nintendo GOing Forward.

Nintendo's digital revenue is up to 250 million dollars. For a company that has all but neglected digital in the past, this is a respectable number. I think this will only continue to grow as well. They recently released 3 Wii games on the eshop, Mario Galaxy 2, Punch Out, and Metroid Prime Trilogy, they were $10 each for their first week on sale. This could be easy revenue for Nintendo to cash in on, the Wii U architecture makes moving Wii and GC games to Wii U a snap. If they were to get in the habit of new releases every couple of weeks, they could easily bring in millions of dollars in profit, with very little cost involved. There aren't a ton of bonuses by sticking with the PowerPC CPU for so long, but 100% backwards compatibility of all the GC and Wii games is easy cash that should not be left on the table. Not to mention there are a lot of games that would sell rather well. Games like The Last Story, Xenoblade, and Pandoras Tower could all see success on the eshop. Of how about Wave Race Blue Storm and 1080 Avalanche from GC? Lots of untapped potential, and recent financials show that while they are treading water, they could be doing a lot better, even within their current devices.

That would be an interesting opportunity here for Nintendo. We have a mobile market with a billion+ devices out there with no official controller from their respective makers because Google and Apple for the most part don't care about controllers at all, and the rest is a 3rd party mishmash of various controllers. This could allow Nintendo to become the defacto standard mobile controller for both platforms if they release their own.
Yep. That's already been suggested IIRC. Sell a Pokemon and/or Mario game with a controller (code in the bundle) and sell lots of controllers while making the devices suit their existing library. Get a couple other devs on board (next Monster Hunter only available on mobile, bundled with a Nintendo Controller) and they could make it happen.

The way the company was run was so stifling, monolithic and out of touch that it makes me wonder if a lot of that still goes on today. It would explain things I suppose.
http://www.dromble.com/2015/01/21/f...os-culture-third-party-support-and-much-more/
Article said:
Nintendo is not only a Japanese company, it is a Kyoto-based company. For people who aren’t familiar, Kyoto-based are to Japanese companies as Japanese companies are to US companies. They’re very traditional, and very focused on hierarchy and group decision making. Unfortunately, that creates a culture where everyone is an advisor and no one is a decision maker – but almost everyone has veto power...

Analyst Amir Anvarzadeh, Director of Japan Equity Sales suggests Nintendo should be purchased by Disney and merge with them because Nintendo have an incredibly rich, diverse arsenal of characters in their library spanning decades of memorable gaming experiences, so they could make better use of those intellectual properties.

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/37437/20150130/nintendo-3ds-wii-u-sales-disney-super-mario-bros-pokémon-movies-watch.htm

Never going to happen. Microsoft tried buying Nintendo about a decade ago. Seeing as how traditional Nintendo is in the way they operate, its damn near blasphemy to suggest that they would sell to a foreign company.

Iwata did say Nintendo was considering using their IP's a bit more freely though, so working with Disney for a Mario or Zelda movie would be pretty intriguing.

@Goodtwin Best IP for a movie is Metroid, of course!

Space Pirates! Ancient Chozo ruins filled with fabulous technology! A platinum-blonde heroine in a power armour, who can roll up into a soccer ball! Walking, shooting, talking Mother Brains! :LOL:

Seriously though. Metroid would make The Best movie, as a live action. Zelda a very close second, as CGI animated.

I just went to my local game store to pre-order some game, and while I was there, to get the GameCube adapter for SSB on WiiU which I'm still missing. Look at this batshit situation:

• The WiiU controller available for Super Smash Bros is a horribly unusable game pad. Friends don't let friends play with this.
  • The only controller that works well for SSB is the old controller from 2 generations ago, which requires an adapter, and has only 1 game compatible. It's still wired. This is hilarious, and pathetic.
  • Nintendo discontinued the only wireless GameCube controller that ever existed, before the launch of the original Wii. I'm holding on the ones I have left with my dear life. Let's just say they started to show some wear.
  • The WiiU adapter was out of stock ever since SSB came out. They just don't want us to have it.
  • Can I preorder it? No. Reserve it? No. They have no idea if or when they'll have any, Nintendo trickles and ships stuff completely randomly, the store said to come back often.
  • Today the store clerk told me Nintendo had started another production run, and they might have some in March. No promise.
I thought it was incompetence, but now I think Nintendo is actively trying to make the WiiU fail. To this day, I still can't play SSB correctly, which is the only game that made me buy a WiiU. WTF Nintendo?

on amazon.ca :
$113 to $145 for the adapter
$400 for a "new" wireless gamecube controller, I need four. heh... hah.. ha *gasp wheeze* HA HAHAHAHA !!!!

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Game...PC-WiiU/dp/B00RSXRLUE/ref=zg_bs_videogames_27

I think Nintendo was caught off guard with just how many people were going to want to play with GC controllers. They probably figured the long time super hardcore fan would choose to buy the GC adapter, but most casual players would play with either the gamepad or pro controller. Luckily a third party now offers the gamecube controller adapter, so they aren't impossible to find. From what I have heard, the controller pro and gamepad are perfectly functional, but the gamecube controller is still the best for Smash.

With mobile hardware developing so rapidly, is having a console and portable becoming redundant for Nintendo? Lets face it, I think its safe to say that trying to follow suite with how Sony and Microsoft operate is out of the question. Nintendo will not cater to these major third party publishers the way Sony and Microsoft do. Nintendo pretty much owns the dedicated portable market, and I have my suspicions that Sony wont even both with another portable after Vita flopped, so going forward Nintendo may have next to no competition in the portable market. They already have the streaming tech to create a wireless HDMI stick that would allow games to be streamed to the TV, so for those Nintendo gamers that prefer playing on TV, they would have to be left out in the cold. This would allow Nintendo to more completely support their system, instead of dividing recourses between two products. We are also seeing an increase in console'ish games becoming more and more popular on 3DS. Games like Zelda OoT, Zelda MM, and hopefully Xenoblade all doing well suggest that perhaps the Nintendo fanbase doesn't need or want to pieces of hardware. Think of this as a product that would very much appeal to the 3DS audience, but at the same time bringing over the Wii U crowd as well. E3 could be interesting.

Nintendo needs to corner the market on 'gamey' games and totally abandon AAA third-party core gaming.

It's the obvious strategy from this point onward.

What's a "gamey" game and why are Nintendo's platforms better than the competition for this kind of game?

We'll have to see how much money Bayonetta 2 is going to make before assuming Nintendo must abandon AAA third parties.

Its funny how some people such as Michael Pachter contradict themselves. He has talked about how Nintendo needs to match Sony and Microsoft with a console that is on par with them, but then proceeds to say that he doesn't think third parties would come back even if Nintendo went that route. His big advice is something that he doesn't even believe in himself. If anything, Nintendo is better off being an alternative gaming product, instead of trying to offer a Nintendo branded PlayStation. If Nintendo can create a situation where they can create games that are no longer limited to just their console, or just their portable, but fully accessible across both, then they are better equipped to fully support their platform(s) with software. Nintendo's relationship with the major third party publishers is at an all time low, but this isn't the case on the portable side with the 3DS, and many Indy developers have done rather well on the eshop, something that would further benefit from streamlining their devices into one develop environment.

I don't see Bayonetta 2's sales really being a game that Nintendo uses to decide the types of software they personally develop, or even publish. It wasn't a secret that Bayonetta was fairly niche. Even with the large userbase that the PS3 and X360 had, it took Bayonetta hitting the bargain bin before they really moved units. Assuming Bayonetta 2 really has sold over 600k, I believe that was probably inline with Nintendo's expectations. Its a title that they probably believed would help broaden the console appeal, and wouldn't cost a fortune to fund. Same is true with Devils Third. These are titles to broaden their lineup, and I am certain Nintendo never expected big sales. Keep in mind that Hyrule Warriors has the Zelda IP helping it out, and selling a million units has blown Tecmo KOEI's expectations for the title away. Not every title is expected to sell big numbers.

Nintendo never concerns itself to much with what their competitors are doing, because they don't believe their only competition is Sony and Microsoft. They look at it from the perspective that they are an entertainment company, and they compete with every form of entertainment for your dollar. They are in competition with movies, tv, books, Iphones, Playstaions, board games and so forth. This is how you can have enormous success when your product uniquely positions itself into position where their product has broad enough appeal that it appeals to consumers, even those who typically game on a Playstation or Xbox.

Its funny how some people such as Michael Pachter contradict themselves.
Michael Pachter has some form of analyst's tourette syndrome. If he sees a microphone or dictaphone he'll spout whatever nonsense is bubbling in his head at that particular time, regardless if it contradicts something he said yesterday or lacks logical consistency. You used to see him everywhere but I think most gaming media are wise to him. He's an old, out of touch, man. It's clear he has no idea what drives the market or what gamers want because he's not a gamer.

Pay no heed to the fool (said in best Mr T voice).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went to my local game store to pre-order some game, and while I was there, to get the GameCube adapter for SSB on WiiU which I'm still missing. Look at this batshit situation:

• The WiiU controller available for Super Smash Bros is a horribly unusable game pad. Friends don't let friends play with this.
  • The only controller that works well for SSB is the old controller from 2 generations ago, which requires an adapter, and has only 1 game compatible. It's still wired. This is hilarious, and pathetic.
  • Nintendo discontinued the only wireless GameCube controller that ever existed, before the launch of the original Wii. I'm holding on the ones I have left with my dear life. Let's just say they started to show some wear.
  • The WiiU adapter was out of stock ever since SSB came out. They just don't want us to have it.
  • Can I preorder it? No. Reserve it? No. They have no idea if or when they'll have any, Nintendo trickles and ships stuff completely randomly, the store said to come back often.
  • Today the store clerk told me Nintendo had started another production run, and they might have some in March. No promise.
I thought it was incompetence, but now I think Nintendo is actively trying to make the WiiU fail. To this day, I still can't play SSB correctly, which is the only game that made me buy a WiiU. WTF Nintendo?

on amazon.ca :
$113 to $145 for the adapter
$400 for a "new" wireless gamecube controller, I need four. heh... hah.. ha *gasp wheeze* HA HAHAHAHA !!!!

The wii u pro controller is great for smash brothers , I use it and no problems at all , I got it at bestbuy on sale for $30 , so I spent $90 plus then we use the game pad and then if we have more people they connect with their 3ds systems to play.

YMMV.

They break 12 years of muscle memory on a sequel that is basically a high res version with a few tweaks. We still play the other two on GC/Wii.

The button layout on GC is better, you just roll the thumb a bit to reach X or Y. It has an intuitive primary, secondary and tertiary buttons. Also every other fucking controller of all platforms, including their own previous 2 consoles, have the right stick UNDER the main buttons. It's like they're trolling us. You get reversed muscle reflexes unless the only console you ever play is the WiiU. It's like building a car with the gas and break pedals swapped, just for fun.

But casuals or people who are new to the franchise won't notice.:runaway:

Nintendo are reportedly getting into mobile development
Nintendo has announced it will begin releasing games for mobile phones and tablet devices.

The move to mobile - long requested by the company's investors - will begin later this year, when the first new game apps are released.

Nintendo is partnering with massive Japanese mobile firm DeNA to aid in the company's app development.

Speaking in a press conference this morning, Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata confirmed Nintendo would take charge of the actual game development - the front-end, gameplay and UI that players actually see.

DeNA, meanwhile, will be working on supporting Nintendo by providing back-end services and server knowledge.

Not sure why they're partnering with an external company, especially a Japanese company. What particular expertise could this DeNA entity be offering that Nintendo itself didn't already have (insert joke about current state of Nintendo online infrastructure here...)?

DeNA owns Mobage, which is a Japanese equivalent for Valve in the mobile games world.
It's both a publisher, a group of developers and a games-centered social network. They serve over 30 million customers and published+developed Rage of Bahamut,
a game that led Android's and iOS' top grossing app worldwide charts for over 4 months.

Looking back at the tens of pages in this thread, this sounds exactly what many people were saying Nintendo needed for online and business expansion.
This means Nintendo games in web browsers and smartphone app stores.

As for NX, it could be anything. If the joint-venture is part of the development, it'd be a gameboy/DS successor in the form of a smartphone.

YMMV.

They break 12 years of muscle memory on a sequel that is basically a high res version with a few tweaks. We still play the other two on GC/Wii.

The button layout on GC is better, you just roll the thumb a bit to reach X or Y. It has an intuitive primary, secondary and tertiary buttons. Also every other fucking controller of all platforms, including their own previous 2 consoles, have the right stick UNDER the main buttons. It's like they're trolling us. You get reversed muscle reflexes unless the only console you ever play is the WiiU. It's like building a car with the gas and break pedals swapped, just for fun.

But casuals or people who are new to the franchise won't notice.:runaway:
Yep. 3 consoles, 3 different stick & buttons configuration, another confusing stuff from Nintendo. It surely does not help Nintendo gamers to be at ease with each new console :

Gamecube:
250px-GameCube_controller.png

Wii controller:
41hMDFpZdOL._SX385_.jpg

Wii U pro controller:
250px-Wii_U_Pro_Controller.JPG

I think I prefer the NGC one when it comes to button placement. Wii U Pro one looks nicest though.

(Should add that I have both.)

This is a serious move for Nintendo. They were so adamant that they weren't going to offer games on mobile devices that I really thought they would stand firm. Looks like they are working hard to create an scenario where they can capitalize on mobile gaming's huge audience, without cannibalizing their dedicated gaming device. Its going to be interesting to see just how they explore this option.

Back