Nintendo GOing Forward.

But we're not comparing shooter DLC, the discussion was why far fewer people buy COD on Wii U than PlayStation or Xbox. You yourself provided, what are likely the key reasons for this. Less solid frame rates, some lobbies being empty and no DLC. This was a branch from the discussion about what Nintendo could do to attract more players/buyers. Better multiplayer foundations would be a good start.

None of those things are problems with Nintendo's online infrastructure. The Wii U had a bigger userbase when Ghost launched last year than the Xbox One has during the holiday season, and yet the attach rate for Ghost on Wii U was terrible. For some reason, the majority of Nintendo's userbase doesn't buy those types of games. Its not that the userbase doesn't buy games, we can see from games like Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 that they certainly do buy games, but instead of games like COD and Assassins Creed being the big sellers like they are on the other consoles, Nintendo console owners gravitate towards Nintendo's first party games. Out group at TNE has really enjoyed games like COD BO2 and Ghost, and NFS MW was excellent on Wii U as well, but we seem to the minority of gamers that will purchase those games for our platform of choice. Even with a large install base, I don't think 3rd party multi plat games will sell well on Wii U, but that doesn't mean those games have all been gimped. NFS MW was an excellent port to Wii U.

Maybe they have a PC for all RTS/FPS needs and a Nintendo console mostly for Nintendo games. (Although diversity doesn't hurt.)
Or they are maried and only play with their wives, so it's Nintendo only pretty much... (Same works with kids.)

I have a Wii U and don't play FPS (on it) or racing games (at all)...
Maybe Nintendo's public is less diverse than other consoles...

but instead of games like COD and Assassins Creed being the big sellers like they are on the other consoles
A large majority, if not all of 3rd party multiplatform titles launched for wuu were months old by the time they launched. Most gamers who wanted to play those games had already done so on other platforms (and there were no new content in the wuu version of those games either to draw in new buyers.)

And yeah, poor online definitely affected the wuu, and is affecting it still. Online stuff IS a major system seller after all.

A large majority, if not all of 3rd party multiplatform titles launched for wuu were months old by the time they launched. Most gamers who wanted to play those games had already done so on other platforms (and there were no new content in the wuu version of those games either to draw in new buyers.)

And yeah, poor online definitely affected the wuu, and is affecting it still. Online stuff IS a major system seller after all.

That was true in 2012 when the system launched, but not for the games launched during the 2013 holiday season. Assassins Creed 4, Batman Origins, and COD Ghost all launched on time, and even with the larger userbase, sold worse than the year prior when the console launched. While its true Batman Origins didn't have the online multi player, I have yet to hear anything positive said about that multi player. COD Ghost online wasn't missing anything prior to the DLC launching. The missing online features have nothing to do with the Wii U hardware, or Nintendo's online infrastructure, but by choice of the developer/publisher. Im not bashing the developers, I think Treyarch has done a good job with the resources they are given.

Finally, a powerful new machine from Nintendo - as reported by the L.A. Times. I'm guessing they are not big gamers :nope:

276493-h1.jpg

omg that really happened? lol

but to be fair, LA Times is not alone. Its completely normal for major newspaper to have wrong article about technology and video games*

*in Indonesia at least :p

For some people, yes, the lack of DLC is a deal breaker. But when evaluating what comes on the disk, the Wii U build of BO2 and Ghost is solid. Is every shooter on the market that doesn't have DLC suddenly gimped? No, DLC's quality is evaluated on its own. Crap DLC doesn't suddenly make a good game bad. The retail version of BO2 and Ghost are very comparable to the other versions. If the Wii U versions were missing maps, weapons, characters, and killstreaks, then yes, it would be gimped. Again, comparing what comes on the disk, DLC is a separate review.

I see what you mean now, you have a point, if the base features
for an online service work as intended then we really can't say it's
gimped as far as concerning online play.
Though I do think the others have a point when they say
Nintendo's online service could use a drastic overhaul to
bring it up 2014 standards.

I see what you mean now, you have a point, if the base features
for an online service work as intended then we really can't say it's
gimped as far as concerning online play.
Though I do think the others have a point when they say
Nintendo's online service could use a drastic overhaul to
bring it up 2014 standards.

What specifically would you like to see overhauled? The only thing I can think of that the online service currently lacks is cross game chat, and that is something that developers have no control over. Otherwise, from what I can tell, everything else could be accomplished on the Wii U. I think there are to many people who have never played online with a Wii U assume that its a terrible experience, and is missing all sorts of features. Ghost and BO2 had all the different game modes, voice chat, and from feedback over at the COD forums, had less lag comp problems than the PS3 version.

Nintendo had a solid E3 showing, so Nintendo going forward is all about the software. They are finally getting creative again, and trying some new things. Zelda has always been excellent, but now it looks to be Nintendo's most ambitious project of all time. The choice to include Bayonetta with Bayonetta 2 as a bonus is an awesome choice. Simply trying to release Bayonetta as a stand alone product on Wii U wouldn't have done much, but as bonus content, it really has some potential to increase the games day one appeal to many consumers. Between games like Bayonetta and Devils Third, there is some added diversity to the traditional family friendly Nintendo offerings. Nintendo has definitely catered to the Indies more so than the big publishers, seemingly content with letting Sony and Microsoft fight it out for their support. Hyrule Warriors should be very popular in Japan, and because of the Zelda setting, could be fairly popular elsewhere as well. What this years E3 told me as a Wii U gamer, is that Nintendo is committed to the Wii U for the foreseeable future.

Do you have 3ds? How is the online feature on with u compared to 3ds?

I ask because I don't have wii u but I have 3ds and I did not like the online feature at all. If it's better than 3ds, how much better? it's more similar with xbox 360 or ps3?

Do you have 3ds? How is the online feature on with u compared to 3ds?

I ask because I don't have wii u but I have 3ds and I did not like the online feature at all. If it's better than 3ds, how much better? it's more similar with xbox 360 or ps3?

I do not have a 3DS, but feel free to ask me any questions about the Wii U.

I'm reading NeoGAF and it looks like most people believe that Wii U will outsell Xbox One... Is Wii U in that good health?

Maybe they're going by E3?? Nintendo definitely showed well, but plenty was in the far distance.

Splatoon, Nintendo's mulitplayer shooter, is a great, original idea straight out of Nintendo. Yet it look really rough as it's on old hardware. There's no way I'm going to buy a console just to play a couple of games, but release on a next-gen console and I'll be interested. Then there was the Kirby game where you draw obstacles to follow - looks a perfect fit for mobile.

I honestly think a partnership between Sony and Nintendo would be best for both of them, with PS being the console home and iOS+Android being the mobile home, + Vita and DS ports. They'd accomplish way more together than against. We'd get VR Nintendo games, and Splatoon + Zelda + Mario etc. looking gorgeous on fancy hardware with Sony's development know-how helping Nintendo's devs make the most of it.

I honestly think a partnership between Sony and Nintendo would be best for both of them, with PS being the console home and iOS+Android being the mobile home, + Vita and DS ports. They'd accomplish way more together than against. We'd get VR Nintendo games, and Splatoon + Zelda + Mario etc. looking gorgeous on fancy hardware with Sony's development know-how helping Nintendo's devs make the most of it.

I guess it could be the end of Xbox One... :oops:

I'm reading NeoGAF and it looks like most people believe that Wii U will outsell Xbox One... Is Wii U in that good health?
Why would you ever believe what gaffers post? They're obviously nuts.

Nintendo had a great 1st party E3 showing, but 3rd party was dismal, and most of the great 1st party games shown were 2015 releases (Zelda undoubtedly being christmas holiday launch, meaning 18 friggin months off). So not much chance of wuu threatening xbone, I'm afraid.

Now, hopefully they'll (mening Nintendo) get some much-needed sales momentum after this, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen until some of these games are actually available to buy.

Still waiting for Nintendo to broaden its own retro games catalogue for example, there's no logical reason for them to trickle out a handful of titles per quarter. At the current rate they'll NEVER release even the full NES catalogue (much less SNES, N64, and now GBA, GC, possibly also wii) before the wuu hardware itself is put out to pasture, and then they'll push the reset button and do the same shit all over again for the next console...? No wonder they're struggling, FFS.

I do not have a 3DS, but feel free to ask me any questions about the Wii U.

okay thanks ill ask some:

about game
- is there "usage limit" in the demo? (e.g., in 3DS, a game demo can only be used for 3 times)
- does it do background download while playing games?
- how far is the region lock? (is it only limited to the game disc or everything is locked including games on eShop?)
- "game sharing". if buy eshop game in Wii U #1, can you play it on Wii U #2? (PS3 allow 5 simultaneous online, PS4 is 1 or 2 i think)
- is digital game take 2x installation? (in PS3, it need space for download and space for install. But on Xbox 360 its already installed when downloaded)
- is the communication/friend service is locked heavily? (in 3DS, we cant send letter online but works in LAN mode, making friend also hard to do when we did not met in LAN, we cant voice chat outside of game)

about online shop
- is the webstore can be accessed from cellphone/pc?
- its webstore is quick to use or have too deep submenu and too many confirmation? (in 3DS, i select Demos -> scroll long horizontal list -> select a game -> scroll again -> select demo -> 3x more confirmation/info screen)
- is the screenshot and videos presented in good condition? high picture quality and properly displayed in proper feature? (in 3DS, most screenshot or videos are not in 3d stereo, blocky, and missing 2nd screen)

Maybe they're going by E3?? Nintendo definitely showed well, but plenty was in the far distance.

Splatoon, Nintendo's mulitplayer shooter, is a great, original idea straight out of Nintendo. Yet it look really rough as it's on old hardware. There's no way I'm going to buy a console just to play a couple of games, but release on a next-gen console and I'll be interested. Then there was the Kirby game where you draw obstacles to follow - looks a perfect fit for mobile.

Nintendo had a solid showing at E3 for sure, and even for those here that think poorly of Nintendo's hardware choices, you cant deny the appeal that numerous quality software titles brings to the product. Its also good to see Nintendo trying some new IP's, Splatoons is a game that could be awesome, or it could end up being so chaotic that your never sure if your tactics and skill play a part in winning, time will tell.

Mobile has proven to be a place where very few developers can make real money. Too many people only play demos or games that cost 99 cents on mobile. Even Capcom had recently stated that they were unpleased with their returns on mobile investments. Meanwhile Monster Hunter on 3DS is keeping the company afloat.

okay thanks ill ask some:

about game
- is there "usage limit" in the demo? (e.g., in 3DS, a game demo can only be used for 3 times) Yes, but the limit varies. Some have 3, others have 30. Developers choice I assume.
- does it do background download while playing games? Yes, I just donwloaded Pikmin 3 while playing MK8 last night.
- how far is the region lock? (is it only limited to the game disc or everything is locked including games on eShop?) Region Locking is still a thing. You cant buy a Japanese game and play it on your US Wii U. Online gaming isnt limited to the region, we play with people from Japan all the time.
- "game sharing". if buy eshop game in Wii U #1, can you play it on Wii U #2? (PS3 allow 5 simultaneous online, PS4 is 1 or 2 i think)You cant do this as of yet, its limited to your console. Nintendo has made comments though that they are working to unify acconts, so this may improve.
- is digital game take 2x installation? (in PS3, it need space for download and space for install. But on Xbox 360 its already installed when downloaded) Nope, just the normal install. Thank heavens too, Wii U only comes with 32GB of memory.
- is the communication/friend service is locked heavily? (in 3DS, we cant send letter online but works in LAN mode, making friend also hard to do when we did not met in LAN, we cant voice chat outside of game)Wii U has a voice chat app, and you send messages through Miiverse.

about online shop
- is the webstore can be accessed from cellphone/pc?I dont think so.
- its webstore is quick to use or have too deep submenu and too many confirmation? (in 3DS, i select Demos -> scroll long horizontal list -> select a game -> scroll again -> select demo -> 3x more confirmation/info screen)
- is the screenshot and videos presented in good condition? high picture quality and properly displayed in proper feature? (in 3DS, most screenshot or videos are not in 3d stereo, blocky, and missing 2nd screen)The eshop on Wii U is great for games that are on the homepage, but I feel like it could improve a lot when searching for games that arent on the homepage. Once titles have to be searched for, there is a lot to be desired. The homepage gives great exposure to games while they are up there, but once they fall off, its unlikely many casual shoppers would come across them unless they are intentionally looking for the title.

Mobile has proven to be a place where very few developers can make real money. Too many people only play demos or games that cost 99 cents on mobile.
If Nintendo games were only available on mobile, do you think all those people currently willing to pay $30+ for a game will suddenly either stop wanting to play those games, or will only be willing to pay $2 for them?

The reason most mobile gamers only play demos and pay very little is because the option exists for mindless pastimes (loads of titles to choose from) and these gamers don't care much for the experience so won't spend on it. Core gamers would happily pay a decent amount of money for a decent game. Core games on mobile shouldn't be confused with traditional mobile gaming. Just because some apps are downloaded tens of millions of times and they make the headlines, doesn't mean that's the only audience to target. Every Nintendo fan has a smartphone. Every potential Nintendo fan who won't buy a N. handheld has a smartphone. They're the people to target and they can be charged the same as a handheld game price (obviously cheaper due to no production or distribution costs).

A huge problem with the mobile industry at the moment is the belief that it's homogeneous. That many consumers means lots of variety and lots of sub-interests. TVs are served with everything from reality TV to AAA series, to cheapo made-for-TV movies to Hollywood blockbusters. Services are supplied to TV in the form of free to view, contracted viewing, full purchases and rentals. Similarly, mobile should offer a broad range of options for a broad range of content, with the content providers recognising their niche and catering to it instead of a chasing the biggest number they've seen.

Back