Nintendo console within 8-10 months of PS3?

Can anyone confirm that Iwata mentioned in one of the Nintendo magazines that their next console will arrive 8-10 months after PS3?

I sure as hell hope they don't go the cheap route once again. GC2/Next Nintendo had better surpass PS3 and XB2 in every concivable way, offer HD-DVD (Blu-Ray or whatever) movie playback (Panasonic partnership will be closer in all likelihood) as well as GC compatability.

I sure as hell hope they don't go the cheap route once again.

My thoughts exactly. But hey, Yamauchi was stubborn and conservative. With Iwata at the helm, I have a feeling things will be different. Hopefully they will.

I'm happy they did what they did with the GC. At least they are not bleeding money. The GC would be 10 times more powerful, it would not sell more. The GC is more than capable, that is what matters.

Right, wazoo. Nintendo consoles are built to sell lots of Nintendo games, and they accomplish that purpose quite well. Nintendo would gain little by launching with the most powerful and expensive hardware - their core audience just doesn't require it.

Kolgar

Well 'technically' it *did* debut around $250 if you consider the Japanese launch it's "debut"...

Well, Nintendo sometimes does have the most powerfull machine, sometimes it doesn´t.

SMS>NES

SNES>Genesis

N64>PSX>Saturn

Xbox>GCN>PS2

Actually, now that I think about it, if MS had not decided to make Xbox, GCN would be the most powerfull system around.

It (N64) also launched in Europe for £250 AFAIR.. ($402!!!).. which was especially insane since it was released in the U.S for $199 6 months prior that that.

Hi Teasy,

It (N64) also launched in Europe for £250 AFAIR.. ($402!!!).. which was especially insane since it was released in the U.S for $199 6 months prior that that.
I guess that would be your typical UK premium price for consoles.
I bought mine in March 1997 in Germany for 399DM (now ~200€) and 3 month later it was lowered to 299DM (now 150~€). I got some Magazines from that period lying around and checked the german price.

Back