Nforce Soundstorn In Nforce 5 from Jen Hsun Hwang hmmmmm

Ok, guys, I don't get your problem. If you're fine with the intergrated stuff, use it. If you like your stand-alone products better, get a bare-bones board and use them.

And if you're fine with the integrated stuff for now, you can still, later-on, upgrade to a future LAN, USB or IEEE1394 standard, without even touching your motherboard.

I, personally, am more than fine using my motherboard's integrated CSA Gbit LAN, but upgraded the AC97 audio with an Audigy 2.

cu

incurable

well because i either want to pay for something that's gonna be upgradable OR not have to pay for something that's stuck on there that is useless to me.

Sage said:
i dont know why you are comparing A64's and AXP's. Are we once again tlaking about replacing the CPU? You thought you already decided that we WERENT talking about repacing the CPU?

I was responding to your point about upgrading solely for the A64 memory controller. I thought you meant going from XP-A64 since motherboards do not play a significant part in A64 memory performance.

Sage said:
okay, so what if I'm going out of the core market? The core market is not the ONLY market. Really, only a very small number of people fit neatly into the "core market" box.

Because this discussion started with integrated audio vs add-in cards on consumer-level boards/chipsets. i.e Nforce4.

Everyone does not do 3d animation on their home PC's. All your other hobbies do not require some uber-machine - all of the current integrated solutions are more than sufficient for those.

We obviously have different philosophies when it comes to upgrading. I get a new board every year. Your system is based on a dinosaur. So I guess we are destined to clash on any discussion over integrated vs add-in components. I'm done (for real this time) :D

trinibwoy said:
I was responding to your point about upgrading solely for the A64 memory controller. I thought you meant going from XP-A64 since motherboards do not play a significant part in A64 memory performance.

ahh, no. i meant that if you have an Athlon64 then upgrading your motherboard is pretty pointlessas far as performance goes unless either you got a board that lacked overclocking features to begin with or if you're moving to PCIe or something.

trinibwoy said:
Because this discussion started with integrated audio vs add-in cards on consumer-level boards/chipsets. i.e Nforce4.
well I'd consider my board a consumer-level board. I'd consider all of my components consumer-level. that's what I am- a consumer. Lot's (most, I'd say) people who will buy an nForce4 expect their computers to do more than an internet kiosk and game console.

trinibwoy said:
Everyone does not do 3d animation on their home PC's. All your other hobbies do not require some uber-machine - all of the current integrated solutions are more than sufficient for those.
well my GeForce4 is sufficient for EQ2, Doom3, and HL2. but, I'm still upgrading it.

We obviously have different philosophies when it comes to upgrading. I get a new board every year. Your system is based on a dinosaur. So I guess we are destined to clash on any discussion over integrated vs add-in components. I'm done (for real this time) :D
it may be based on a dinosaur but it's still wicked fast. my tualatins can compete with a 3GHz P4 or an Athlon64 2800+. Then, there's also the responsiveness of a dual-CPU system. I dont like waiting around, not even for a split second, that's why I demand the best from my components.

Xenus said:
Then why don't you just start saving up for a dual opteron/xeon system. :D

saving? pah! I'm just waiting for a good dual Opteron, PCI-E SLI board!

elroy said:
Interesting tidbit from Anand (http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2317&p=14)

"The entire Sound Storm division at NVIDIA has been shut down and thus NVIDIA's Intel solution will have HD Audio support, but we will not see the return of Dolby Digital Encoding support or NVIDIA's Sound Storm DSP."

:(

That seems to directly contradict what Jen said not too long ago, unless of course he is on hallucenegetics again.... :LOL:

It was reported long ago NV shut down the soundstorm division. I saw on warp2search that some website claimed to have shots of a NForce5 prototype mobo, it reportedly had an Intel ICH6 southbridge chip on it - meaning no soundstorm audio if we're to believe the picture shows what it claims.

There could be a chance Jen Hsun's comments stem from the Nvidia-Sony cooperation on the PS3. Soundstorm 2 (or whatever) could possibly come out in console form rather than PC...

There's no reason to think that any product brought out from Nvidia in the future that bears the name "Soundstorm" will have the same capabilities as Nforce 2's Soundstorm.

It's possible that Nvidia will just put out an Azailia solution and market it as SoundStorm 3. After all, it is a marketing name and Nvidia can make it whatever it wants it to be.

I wouldn't put it past JenSun to promise Soundstorm and then when it comes out down the line it's just their Azailia implementation marketed under the known brandname.

I would imagine that this is for speed of implementation. I'd guess that they will eventually bring up their own MCH solutions with some form of sound support in time, but use this now for speed - much the same as ATI appear to have done with the ALi MCH on RS480.

I they are going to go to a two chip solution for AMD then they are going to probably need to make alterations to the northbridge anyway, so I doubt there is a rush to make any changed on that front until they need to replace nForce4.

Sage said:
Xenus said:
Then why don't you just start saving up for a dual opteron/xeon system. :D

saving? pah! I'm just waiting for a good dual Opteron, PCI-E SLI board!

Well, if you don't mind buying a full workstation-class system ala Dell/Alienware/HP, you won't have to wait very long.

yeah and i got my hours (and thus pay) cut in half recently. so, i dont even have money to save anymore.no dually for me. no upgrade, period.

Back