Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Tkumpathenurpahl, Jan 19, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

He is the internet.

Lalaland, Shifty Geezer and Scott_Arm like this.
  2. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

[​IMG]

3. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

[​IMG]

4. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

It seems like silly season is coming earlier with each new console generation.

5. Heinrich4

Regular

Perhaps you are absolutely right and we have a some clue here ?
    http://ascii.jp/elem/000/001/706/1706234/index-2.html

http://ascii.jp/elem/000/001/706/1706234/index-2.html
    By google translate
    "Although it feels like "Does not it manage a little more?", It seems that this area is a reasonable balance point as a reality problem. In this case, the theoretical performance of 7 nm Vega is 20.9 TFlops (Single Precision)."

#2405 Heinrich4, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2018
  6. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

If the console space gets a 20TF system, I can guarantee you it wouldn't be in a sub $499 box. If we're talking a possible two system (10-11TF standard model & 18-20TF premium model) launch model, then maybe a $599-$649 system with a more efficient way of doing crossfire (infinity fabric!?) could get you close to that performance.

7. Lalaland

Regular

Yup we need to recalibrate what "beast" means in a console context it's not "Beast vs the latest datacenter CPU" it's "Beast vs 8 Jaguar cores". Beyond even this it's "Beast vs $399/$499" so whether the new box is 8c/16T or 4c/8T it will still be an amazing leap above what devs have access to today.

vipa899 likes this.
  8. Gubbi

Veteran

If we're talking packed F16 you could get to 20TF with a 56 CU GPU running at 1.4GHz.

Cheers

Heinrich4 likes this.
  9. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Well yeah. My thought process was on 20TF @FP32 performance metrics within the console space (i.e., Pro GPU is 4.2TF at FP32 and 8.4TF at FP16), not so much FP16. Given your specs of 20TF/FP16 will give it around 10TF/FP32 for a possible sub $499 box.

#2409 Shortbread, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  10. Arkham night 2

Newcomer

I have 2 sourses that say: Ps5 minimum 500 GB/s bandwith and minimum 16GB. Ram GDRR6 Then linustechtips saying 70-80 cu Ps5 could Be 80*1500 mhz 15 tflops?!

Heinrich4 likes this.
  11. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

I don't have any sources. But if Sony wants to deliver a PS5 that is a discernible next-gen console, then 500+ GB/sec and a 16GB are a bare minimum. Just compare to X1X, 326Gb/sec and 12GB RAM. Approximately +50% on those specs doesn't buy you a whole lot.

I'm hopeful that the PS5 can be closer to 15Tflops then 10. Rather, I think it needs to be. I'm actually really curious what comes of NVIDIA DLSS and I think a similar technique like that in the console space could be really interesting especially applied to something like checkboard rendering.

BRiT likes this.
  12. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Why? Why not compare it to PS4? PS5 is the next generation after PS4, not the next generation after XB1X, or 4Pro.

Xbat, goonergaz and Scott_Arm like this.
  13. Scott_Arm

Legend

Agreed. I really think next-gen specs should be aligned to Xbox One and PS4, not their X and Pro counterparts. The vast majority of people will be upgrading from the base models.

Xbat and vipa899 like this.
  14. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Gamers aren't separating the mid-gen refreshes - because Sony/MS has made clear that Pro/X aren't separate platforms, but extensions of the current base platform. Plus, most gamers will look at Pro/X hardware as the current standard to surpass, just like any product with revisions or updated wares.

Heinrich4 likes this.
  15. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

If ps5 is a 20tflop fp32 gpu machine in 2019 for <500$ im impressed.
    Thats like sli 1080ti.

Heinrich4, BRiT and milk like this.
  16. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Why should I compare it to PS4? I'm comparing it to the top console on the market now and deciding whether it will offer a substantial visual increase for me to invest my money in.

If PS5 targets 1080p/1440p graphics and dedicates 12Tflops for that, sure, but I don't see Sony or MS going back on 4K resolutions so they need to substantially increase the number of flops per pixel, I think, to be able render better graphics. Just more stable resolutions and framerates for the same looking games don't really excite me.

Heinrich4 and Shortbread like this.
  17. bitsandbytes

Newcomer

The mid-gen upgrades are going make a serious dent in Sony/Microsoft's aspirations as most will simply compare next-gen to them and with diminishing returns already in full swing, this added to it will just make things even more difficult for them to justify new consoles.

Heinrich4 and vipa899 like this.
  18. goonergaz

Veteran

Surely TF is just one factor, a decent CPU upgrade will make a big impact on top of a ~12TF GPU no?

19. bitsandbytes

Newcomer

Put very simply you mostly 'see' TF and 'feel' CPU. Vast majority of console buyers make their decision based on the former.

The CPU will by a long way be the big upgrade this time round especially given the mid-gen upgrades muddying the waters.

20. Magnum_Force

Newcomer

This next generation could be a slow burn, but as long as Sony/Ms have planned for that, it should be fine.

In previous generations a console maker ran the risk of launching too early or to late and being "out of sync" with the rest of the industry, who were able to capitalize of newer tech and potentially process nodes to gain an advantage.

Nowadays, not so much the case. It is literally a 2 horse race unless Nintendo decide to jump back "most powerful console in the world game". Process improvements after 7nm will be years away. The chance for the competitor to launch a significantly more powerful console at a similar price point is unlikely. Things get even more tricky for a competitor if one the other does a "top tier" console launch alongside the standard model, securing 2 price/performance segments, unless the other competitor goes higher performing still, which would likely carry a higher price tag again.

To top it off, one of the horses in this race has a ace in the hole of having great 1st party dev teams, which can showcase the graphical capabilities of a system, even if it is less powerful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.