New Xbox Experience coming Nov 19th

New Xbox Experience: DVD vs. Hard Disk Face-Off - http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=290745

For a dashboard upgrade supposedly aimed at attracting the 'casual' audience, New Xbox Experience actually has a lot of love for the core 360 enthusiast gamer. The Party mode craved by Live users has been incorporated, tweaks long asked for have been made to the VGA/HDMI video outputs, but perhaps most surprisingly of all, Microsoft has allowed gamers to optionally install their games to hard disk. This is - potentially - a very good thing.

Eurogamer has never been a massive fan of the mandatory installations required on many PlayStation 3 releases. It has a fundamental impact on the 'plug and play' nature of console gaming, especially when you can be sitting about for up to 25 minutes waiting to play your brand new release.

Couldn't agree more...

My conclusion is that for the most part the difference of installing isn't big, but then we sort of knew that already and of course there's still the noise factor. Except Fable 2 maybe, which looks like it benefits enough from HDD install. On the other hand, Halo 3 is worse on HDD, which is surprising and I'm curious to see where that comes from. Perhaps they do really heavily use HDD caching in paralel to DVD streaming, which I suggested earlier on could be a situation where HDD caching could make the game perform slower, but it seems to be the only game so far that suffers from this.

The whole install thing on the PS3 shouldn't be too much overblown ... it's totally unnecessary for many games, and that's the part that sucks, and it's also embarrassing to see other titles (including obviously a lot of first party) not need HDD installation at all (or only use a minor install). But as a mandatory feature of some games we could of course definitely do without it.

Meanwhile I much prefer the Burnout PSN, Warhawk PSN, GT5 Prologue PSN, Siren PSN etc. option for games. If they are small enough to install to HDD anyway, then much much preferred to not have to put in the disc at all.

As the feature seems to suggest (as expected) that HDD caching takes place on 360s with HDD anyway, it would still have been really really nice to see some numbers on load-times on machines with and without a HDD.

I wouldn't say that installing to the hardrive is not a big deal. it may only shave 2 or 3 seconds off games , but those 2 or 3 seconds will add p to alot of saved time while playing the game. With fallout 3 i'd easily save 20 minutes or so off a 3 hour play session with the constant loading the game has

As the feature seems to suggest (as expected) that HDD caching takes place on 360s with HDD anyway, it would still have been really really nice to see some numbers on load-times on machines with and without a HDD.

I agree with that, a comparison of HDD-less, HDD-cached and HDD-installed would have been illuminating, especially in Halo 3's case.

I still in awe in how much you guys are discussing the install to hard drive feature. The majority of the users using the Xbox will not even use it and even if they do use it they will quickly and disappointingly find out that they still need the disc in the drive. People will not care if the drive is slightly less noisy or it shaves off mere seconds of their loading time. They only want the ability to load any game they have without the need of having to get off their couch and stick a disc in, just like they do with Live Arcade and their movies and TV shows. Until that happens all this in depth discussion of decibels and seconds is just farting in the wind. Hope you like the smell.

Tommy McClain

I still in awe in how much you guys are discussing the install to hard drive feature. The majority of the users using the Xbox will not even use it and even if they do use it they will quickly and disappointingly find out that they still need the disc in the drive. People will not care if the drive is slightly less noisy or it shaves off mere seconds of their loading time. They only want the ability to load any game they have without the need of having to get off their couch and stick a disc in, just like they do with Live Arcade and their movies and TV shows. Until that happens all this in depth discussion of decibels and seconds is just farting in the wind. Hope you like the smell.

Tommy McClain

I don't think it'll be used much either, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good feature.

I know I'm installing a game on day1. It'll be hard to decide which one.

I'm trying Fable, since I've heard it makes the interface less sluggish.

Yeah. I noticed my disc spinning quite a bit during that game, which is more the issue for me. I've already played through though and my second play is kind of irregular. I'm either going with Fallout3 or Gears2. Probably Fallout3.

Until that happens all this in depth discussion of decibels and seconds is just farting in the wind. Hope you like the smell.
It's a technology enthusiast board! We discuss everything console to the minutiae. If you don't like it, you are free to move on, rather than inviting yourself into people's conversations to tell them they are wasting their time with those conversations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will use install because the disc drive spinning is a bit annoying and seems like it is wasting energy. some games spin even when paused so if you walk away from a game and come back 2 hours later the damned thing is still running.

BTW, went online and entered the Arcade unit's serial console numbers and EASILY arranged delivery of a 20GBHDD and 3 mos of LIVE for $30 nice!...

the boy is excited more about the avatars than anything else. :)

There are other features? To me this is the "get rid of the jet engine noise" update. I can't wait, my 120GB does nothing else for me at this point.

The interface will be less sluggish, particularly the in-game blade thing, which is also appealing. I'm not eligible for Netflix and don't have enough friends on Live to really care about parties, so that's about it for me.

I really wish they'd come out with a set of performance drives. Phase out the 120 gig drive and put out a 250 gig drive with 16megs of cache (mabye 32) and 7200rpm or even 10k rpm.

that would be sure to decrease load times greatly and i wouldn't mind investing in the drive.

I get the impression they are clearing old stock for the hard drive supplier. ;)

I'm guessing they are making way for a new set of HD sizes. I would definately go for a 250 or 300 GB HD in order to be able to install all my games.

Cheers

Back