New TimeShift (Xbox 360) screens

Platon said:
Thats what I thought when I first saw it, that made me say directly CG, but now looking closer to it, it seems just like a very high res texture, ot not?...

The hair is obviously just textured, but it's also bump mapped and has specular highlights. Even anisotropic filtering of all these textures wouldn't help with the serious aliasing problems that the lack of shading antialiasing would cause. Who said that only geometry can cause aliasing artifacts?

Edit: just think about the heavily bump mapped floors in Doom3 and how they've looked like. Hair textures would have an even higher frequency of detail...

Last edited by a moderator:
That hair isn't heavly bump maped like the floors in Doom3 though, and the texture filtering looks reasonably possible in real time to me. That big nasty seam between where the hair is pulled back and what is hanging back over on the other hand looks far to sloppy than anything I'd expect out of CGI. I'm still betting on those being from real time cutscsceens using more detailed versions of the in-game models and shown at a higher res than it will actually be rendered at on a 360.

I agree that most of it looks possible in cut scenes, with less AA / smaller res. of course. Regarding texture aliasing, the shots may use SS AA. Anyway, if they are "from real time cutscsceens using more detailed versions of the in-game models and shown at a higher res" then I'd still like an explanation for those shadow artifacts...

kyleb said:
That hair isn't heavly bump maped like the floors in Doom3 though,

It is heavily bump mapped, but does not produce aliasing artifacts, because...

and the texture filtering looks reasonably possible in real time to me.

...the texture filtering and the shading antialiasing is in fact a lot better than any hardware-based solution available.

Unless using heavy amounts of supersampling AA, current hardware will only calculate one shading sample based on one filtered texture sample for a pixel by default. AFAIK you can perform some shading AA through pixel shaders, but it's going to require more texture samples and thus seriously decrease performance.
When you have high frequency detail, that gets amplified by shading (like a strong specular highlight), then you will get aliasing. It really is the same as the good old black/white stripes texture, there's no escape from it. And the typical hair texture is perhaps the best example for high contrast, high frequency detail, and of course it'll get a nice specular highlight on top, too.

There are two possible kinds of cure here: one is to filter out the high frequency and thus loose the detail, the other is to calculate more shading samples. Offline rendering has the luxury of the extra time that these additional samples require, and the extra help of contrast-sensitive adaptive AA, but real time has not. The problem is going to become more serious as more complex shaders are introduced, and game developers will have a hard time dealing with it.

That big nasty seam between where the hair is pulled back and what is hanging back over on the other hand looks far to sloppy than anything I'd expect out of CGI.

There's good CGI and bad CGI, just as there's good ingame art and bad ingame art. Many game developers manage to build high quality models without any texture seams, yet there's a lot of rushed CGI as well, where the artists don't have the skills or time to hide such problems and artifacts.

I'm still betting on those being from real time cutscsceens using more detailed versions of the in-game models and shown at a higher res than it will actually be rendered at on a 360.

You're free to do so, however you're still wrong.

And I'd appriciate if you wouldn't automatically argue with anything I post here, just because I gave you negative rep once.

PeterT said:
But then again, I haven't looked into realtime soft shadow rendering in a while. So anyone have any theory how those artifacts came to be?
A fairly low tap, randomised offset PCF filter?

Doesn't Laa-Yosh work in graphics/3D of some sort? If so, what point is there in arguing with him unless if you're equally qualified :???:

Alstrong said:
I played the demo at nVidia's booth at CES. ;)

Was it any good? Btw i thought i saw an interview with the guys when they go though the demo, think it was in gametrailers. So it was probably that one. They explained you can frezze time blabla change the time bla and so.. :)
Anyway, the demo was it good?

well ,we don't know how the hair behave from far ,since we only have a close up one,but from the polycount alone (on her shoulder ,left side of the pic) and the filtering of the whole ,i'd say it's a render at 99,9 %

overclocked said:
Was it any good? Btw i thought i saw an interview with the guys when they go though the demo, think it was in gametrailers. So it was probably that one. They explained you can frezze time blabla change the time bla and so.. :)
Anyway, the demo was it good?

I played it for only 10 minutes, so take with that what you will. :p

Sans the time control, it was a pretty generic FPS. Controls were pretty straightforward, but I had a little trouble trying to utilize the time control to good effect; it's basically three all new buttons, and my current FPS keyboard config doesn't adjust to that very well considering all the other buttons they already used up. My fingers just don't reach that far!

The demo was a little bit hard as a result as I was being shot up with grenades. It also didn't help that I didn't know where to go either and enemies kept spawning. :LOL:

The usage of time isn't something I haven't seen before i.e. Blinx 2, so I'm not particularly impressed by the "new features" per se. Stopping time and slowing down time is pretty much me freezing time in UT2004 via the console... Rewinding seemed useful only when you're about to die. Was it fun like Max Payne 2 slowing down time fun? I didn't really like the demo, but again, I didn't play for more than 10 min.

I'd say the demo wasn't long enough for me to make lasting impressions. If they use the time controls for puzzle solving, that would put it above just having it as a feature/gimmick, but I didn't see that in the demo.

Graphics-wise, it's not something we haven't seen before; nothing really stood out to me.

The premise of the story sounds pretty interesting though.

Back