New TimeShift (Xbox 360) screens

kyleb said:
Sure, I mean I doubt they are real 360 screenshots as in the way the game will look when we actually play it on the 360. But if they were ofline renders I'd figure they would have better AA.

Ah, I understand now. :)

kyleb said:
Sure, I mean I doubt they are real 360 screenshots as in the way the game will look when we actually play it on the 360. But if they were ofline renders I'd figure they would have better AA.

Look at the woman's hair, man, it should be a jaggy mess in realtime...

It would be nice if they were real time, in game graphics but I doubt it, maybe real time cinemtics but thats it...

Laa-Yosh said:
Look at the woman's hair, man, it should be a jaggy mess in realtime...

Thats what I thought when I first saw it, that made me say directly CG, but now looking closer to it, it seems just like a very high res texture, ot not?...

I am confident that those picks are real time and in game. Not cinematics, unless they are cinematics made live from teh game engine.

I see nothing in those pics that would indicate they are not what is to extected from this generation of hardware.

If those are real-time on X360 then I have a hard time seeing why Killzone 2 would be impossible on the PS3.

Good looking pics definitely but I was thinking pre-rendered cutscene pics the moment I saw them. If they're not, then I'm extremely impressed.

In my opinion, those are definitely being rendered in realtime on the X360...It's just a realtime cutscene (may not be the in-game engine though). Notice only 2 characters are being shown in those screens at the same time in the same frame with a rather plain background and not much else going on.

jonnyp said:
If those are real-time on X360 then I have a hard time seeing why Killzone 2 would be impossible on the PS3.
Becuase while that Killzone video has similar fedlity, it also had like 20 times the action going on at any given moment compared to those shots.

hm... barring the AA, do any of you think it could it be possible to be a realtime render for a cutscene? Of course, there is the matter of the game being multi-platform... *why spend time doing stuff for a real-time rendering when most PCs wouldn't be able to load up the scene?*

The following are cut-scenes from MechAssault 2. The blurry screencaptures hide the jagged edges quite a lot actually (also being from an s-video feed), but they certainly are real-time;the loading before each cutscene and the jagged edges show when I load up the scene.

http://www.futurelooks.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/2631/size/big/cat/537
http://www.futurelooks.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/2645/size/big/cat/537

And these are from just the NV2A with 64MB of memory. Granted the cut-scene was between 15-30 frames per second depending on the number of characters, but it was quite impressive. I'll see if I can find the original files on my HDD.

edit: blast, I think they're on my home computer. Wish I could show you something clearer.

edit2: IGN has one screenshot (from the same cut-scene I think too)

Jaggies everywhere!
http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/655/655496/img_2420858.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The hair is no problem. It's well faked, but faked. What seems strange to me are the shadow artifacts on the woman's throat in the third pic: I know offline techniques that produce such grain, but no realtime ones.

But then again, I haven't looked into realtime soft shadow rendering in a while. So anyone have any theory how those artifacts came to be?

[edit]
As I currently have some unpleasant work to do and grasp at every chance of distraction I made a picture to illustrate what I mean:
timeshift.jpg

Btw, I don't believe that this kind of hair will look very convincing in motion. (But then again I have yet to see "very convincing" realtime hair ;))

PeterT said:
The hair is no problem. It's well faked, but faked. What seems strange to me are the shadow artifacts on the woman's throat in the third pic: I know offline techniques that produce such grain, but no realtime ones.

But then again, I haven't looked into realtime soft shadow rendering in a while. So anyone have any theory how those artifacts came to be?

Hm... it looks similar to the grain that you can sometimes see in Halo 2 for your own character's shadow when looking down. In particular, see the lighting/shadowing in the elevator just before you get to the bomb in Cairo Station.

I don't mean to say it's the same shadowing technique though. There is a clear difference.

edit: actually, check the shadow in the lower right of this TR screen:

link

Mix in some projection onto a bump surface and increase resolution of the shadow map... I dunno... lol Just throwing in my thought.

it looks like we are back in may 2005!..... pics of games edited with "possible" things that "may" make it realtime (a.k.a killzone)

looks too good, but if its realtime, lets have it!

My only problem is the huge turn around that this game has had. If this was the first time we seen this game I would give it the benefit of the doubt.

TeamXbox just released a couple new screens.

It's probably safe to say the "controversial" screenshots are CG renders only.

I think it will be a couple more console generations before we see in game visuals like those first screenshots, but hopefully I'm wrong. At best I think we might see something close to those by the time ps3/Xbox360 have been around for a few years.

Back