New Sony HDTVs

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
If you weren't confused enough with all the different models, now there's more...

Sony have released news of their new products for release this year:

HUGE EXPANSION OF BRAVIA RANGE FOR AUTUMN 2006Launches include both LCD and Micro Display Projection televisions featuring 1080 Full HD, plus multiple technologies that push the boundaries of image quality and colour reproduction

Sep 19, 2006

Weybridge, 19th September 2006 - Following its highly successful launch last year, Sony has increased the size and diversity of its BRAVIA range of television products by adding five new lines. The U2000-Series and W2000-Series HD Ready TVs mean extra choice at the entry level and top end respectively. The HD Ready E2000-Series Micro Display Projection TV has a 50-inch screen and a Sony 3LCD projection system, while the A2000-Series and R2000-Series take Micro Display Projection further still. Stand-out features include triple-panel projection systems featuring Sony SXRD™ display technology, 1080 Full HD resolution and screen sizes up to a massive 70 inches.

A refusal to settle for the ordinary makes the W2000-Series what it is. There’s a choice of 40-inch or 46-inch screen, plus uncompromising 1080 Full HD (1080p capable) resolution and high performance LCD panel technology for exceptionally wide viewing angles. A specially designed Wide Colour Gamut backlight, precision matched filters in the screen and real time signal processing by the BRAVIA ENGINE combine to boost the actual range of colour the W2000-Series can display. This Live Colour Creation system gives the W2000-Series its very distinctive and special advantage over conventional LCD TVs. To round things off, both models are equipped with an integrated digital TV tuner (DVB-T) and twin HDMI inputs for single-cable 1080 Full HD connection to HD set-top boxes, HD recorders and PlayStation™ 3.

Launched alongside the W2000-Series, the U2000-Series contains 26- 32- and 40-inch models, all HD Ready with support for 1080i and 720p HD modes. Essential signal processing by the Sony BRAVIA ENGINE, a built-in digital TV (DVB-T) tuner, Virtual Dolby Surround sound and BBE Digital ViVA HD3D Sound enhancement ensure the U2000-Series sounds as good as it looks and offers the key features people need.

The E2000-Series Micro Display Projection TV uses a Sony 3LCD triple panel projection system to deliver 720p HD onto its 50-inch screen with no trace of colour ‘breaking’. The Cinema Black Pro Iris shutter mechanism allows precise adjustment of brightness and black levels, helping to elevate the picture to a new level of quality. Virtual Dolby Surround, BBE® Viva 3D audio processing, a built-in digital DVB-T tuner and twin HDMI interfaces are all standard.

The 55-inch A2000-Series and massive 70-inch R2000-Series take back projection TV still further. Both use 1080 Full HD (1080p capable) triple panel projection systems based on Sony SXRD™ technology (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) for next-generation picture quality. Sony SXRD™ virtually eliminates the ‘screen door’ grid effect visible on many back projection TVs, producing instead an image of almost cinematic clarity and focus. Before the signal even reaches the SXRD array it has passed through the multiple processing steps carried out by the most advanced version of the highly regarded Sony image processing suite yet – the BRAVIA ENGINE PRO. In addition to vital functions including noise reduction, colour correction, motion smoothing and sharpening, the BRAVIA ENGINE PRO can improve the resolution of 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p and 1080i inputs. This process, known as Digital Reality Creation HD-HD, ensures that whatever you watch takes full advantage of the 1920 x 1080 resolution on offer. Additional features present on both Series include Cinema Black Pro for pinpoint contrast and brightness control, Dolby Pro Logic® II Virtual Surround, BBE Digital® audio processing, an integrated digital DVB-T tuner and twin HDMI interfaces.

The existing S2000, X2000 and V2000-Series of HD Ready LCD TVs will also be enhanced. The S2500-Series will launch in December with features including twin HDMI connectors and Wide Colour Gamut backlights (excluding 26-inch model). Screen sizes will be 26-inch, 32-inch, 40-inch and 46-inch. The V2500-Series will also launch in December, and will now have dual HDMI inputs as well. The X2000-Series is to appear in a wider range of screen sizes. A 40-inch model will be released in September, with 52-inch and 57-inch models to follow in November. All X2000-Series televisions are capable of 1080 Full HD and feature twin HDMI inputs as standard.

BRAVIA LCD panels deserve a special mention for their exceptionally high range of contrast. Greater contrast yields greater depth, richness and detail in the picture, and ensures that blacks are truly black. Using industry-standard measures, the on-screen contrast of certain models is as high as 1800:1, while the Dynamic Contrast Ratio can be as high as 8000:1. Sony engineers and designers constantly assess and refine every aspect of BRAVIA TVs to ensure that they are as good as they can possibly be. One result of this scrutiny can be seen in the care taken to avoid distracting reflections. All BRAVIA LCD TVs now have a non-reflective bezel, and all BRAVIA Micro Display Projection TVs featuring Sony SXRD™ or 3LCD have a specially non-reflective screen surface.

So now we have the usual S-Series, V-Series, X-series (all enhanced), plus a W-Series, a U-Series, an E-Series, an A-Series and an R-Series! :oops:

If you weren't confused enough with all the different models, now there's more...
So now we have the usual S-Series, V-Series, X-series (all enhanced), plus a W-Series, a U-Series, an E-Series, an A-Series and an R-Series! :oops:
Am I the only one confused? :unsure:

Which one has this 1800:1 static contrast ratio?

Am I the only one confused? :unsure:

Which one has this 1800:1 static contrast ratio?

I think... All of them...? To be honest i never really put too much weight on quoted contrast ratios, they're always much higher on paper than they really are on the screen...

The W-series looks like a winner though, it's 1080p but not as expensive as the X-series :D

Wow, i just had a look at this month's What HI-FI and HDTV and something something and they had a head to head with the 40W2000 and other HDTVs and the Sony won by a long mile.

They said it was the first ever LCD that, put side by side a Plasma (a panasonic that costs the same apparently) it actually beats the plasma in contrast and black levels. That's quite shocking and i am a bit sceptical about it, but it's definitely good news!! Obviously they also said that the detail on the Sony 40W is much better, but that's normal, it's a 1080p panel.

I'm impressed! I was gonna buy a 40V2000 but i guess i can wait a bit and go for the W... If i ever get a PS3, by the time i get one the hdtv should be as cheap as the V now...

Whoa, you had me scratching my head for a minute there, then I realized EU (you guys get REALLY goofy model numbers)... Most of these sets are already out here (US and Japan), or coming in November (e.g. 52" Bravia, the 70" SXRD and the new Pearl projector are available now).

I think... All of them...? To be honest i never really put too much weight on quoted contrast ratios, they're always much higher on paper than they really are on the screen...

The W-series looks like a winner though, it's 1080p but not as expensive as the X-series :D
I dont believe in the contrast specs too, but the values could indicate the relative quality of contrast between the different series. I mean if they say something has 1800:1 contrast it means it has better contrast than the V-series.

The only Sony available here is the old (previous) s-series.
Well, I am still here waiting a good LED backilight LCD HDTV.
The good side is price is dropping fast here, specially for the 50" plasma.
From US$ 10,000.00 to US$ 5,500.00 in just six months.

Looks good :)

There were some posts at AVSFORUM about some dealers that have seen thier new products at that trade show that is going on in Colorado. Apparently they are very, very impressed. Unfortunately the AVSFORUM is down for me at the moment.

Finally we have a new s-series here. Yesterday I saw the new KLV-40S200A and it looks good.
They will sell the 23", 26", 32", 40" and 46".
Compared to the previous s-series:
- better contrast 1300:1
- Bravia Engine
- 8ms

LB what do you think I should do?
Wife want the 40" now for our multimedia/computer room with a viewing distance of ~6 feet.
We have no HD sources now and have a Trinitrons TVs. Prices are dropping like a rock (~40% anually).

I am thinking about buy a 26" s-series for test in the multimidia room and in 1 year buy this big and beatifull new/future model 46" for the living room (up to from 8 to 18 feet distance viewing) :)

Finally we have a new s-series here. Yesterday I saw the new KLV-40S200A and it looks good.
They will sell the 23", 26", 32", 40" and 46".
Compared to the previous s-series:
- better contrast 1300:1
- Bravia Engine
- 8ms

LB what do you think I should do?
Wife want the 40" now for our multimedia/computer room with a viewing distance of ~6 feet.
We have no HD sources now and have a Trinitrons TVs. Prices are dropping like a rock (~40% anually).

I am thinking about buy a 26" s-series for test in the multimidia room and in 1 year buy this big and beatifull new/future model 46" for the living room (up to from 8 to 18 feet distance viewing) :)

Well i'll be waiting for a few months anyway so *I* would see how much the W-series is then. The 46" X-series dropped of about 2 grand (UK POUNDS!!) in a coupel of months, which is unbelievable, so i'll keep on waiting since i also have no HD sources yet...

Up to you really. I think at 26" an S-series would be enough.

The idea is really do some tests with the 26" as the only source of HD will be the PC for some time.
And in 1 year or 2 year something in the range of X-series or better. Maybe a LED backlight :D
See my computer room.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea is really do some tests with the 26" as the only source of HD will be the PC for some time.
And in 1 year or 2 year something in the range of X-series or better. Maybe a LED backlight :D
See my computer room.

I think you need to organise your cabling better ;)

Ok if anyone was confused, this will either shed some light or make you even more confused!!

Well, I think this web presentation was open to the public, so no problems with me posting stuff from it, right? :smashin:

The "WebEx Player" thing doesn't seem to have recorded the end of the presentation so here's what we have. Sorry about the missing end, but I had a bus to catch!

First up, what new stuff is coming out...

1.jpg

More stuff on Live Colour Creation - this should end the "What is it" debate once and for all. I was correct, it's a combination of hardware and software.

2.jpg

Did you think "BRAVIA Engine Pro" was the Americanized name of "BRAVIA Engine EX"? Well we were wrong, it was just Europe getting diddled again. Bravia Engine Ex is in fact almost but not quite as good as Pro.

3.jpg

The S is getting Live Colour Creation:

6.jpg

The V is getting.... nothing worth speaking of over the S! Why don't they add a second Component input to the V-Series and up? Who really cares that it has a weirder contrast fudging option? Looks like the V Series is now the "pay more for looks" choice!

7.jpg

And the one i'm definitely looking at:

8.jpg

It's just 100 quid or so more expensive than the V-Series but is 1080p!!

PS: I'm not sure but i think the picture sizes are ok with the T&C, they look 800x600...

wth is DRC HD-HD creation?

Heh i'd love to know myself!!

The DRC chip is very good apparently when it comes to scaling, and it looks like the one on the top end is better than the DRC SD-HD which is better than the chip on the "simple" Bravia Engine... Whatever that means! :)

Back