XBox One getting a digital TV tuner (DVB) accessory for EU countries

Or PVR or cable box, which so many people have already. That's what HDMI throughput and CEC handshaking was supposed to be for, I thought. Maybe this device is aimed at a niche like bedroom/dorm room?

It's being targeted at those that don't have any box in Europe. Those people wouldn't be able to use the Live TV functions on the Xbox One at all. From all the comments I've read on Reddit & the Xbox Feedback site supposedly Europe has a larger group people than the US that gets their TV channels this way. So an HDMI In would basically go unused in those markets.

Tommy McClain

It's being targeted at those that don't have any box in Europe. Those people wouldn't be able to use the Live TV functions on the Xbox One at all. From all the comments I've read on Reddit & the Xbox Feedback site supposedly Europe has a larger group people than the US that gets their TV channels this way.
Europe has lots of free, over the air TV. However, there have been options for recorders and boxes for years. The number of homes in the five named countries that don't yet have a way to record TV is, in my wild estimation, going to be low. It's an old technology that's been available for years. TVs even include the feature now (record on SD card) and you can buy cheap ass USB recorders too.

In XB1's favour, it's a very affordable box and the quality of experience may be worth it for some using cheap and nasty options or badly designed boxes, though I'll be surprised if it sells strongly. In the UK at least, everyone who values TV has a PVR and/or cable box. For the past year or two our ISPs have been shoving NowTVs in our face so it's actually kinda difficult not to have a PVR of some form! ;)

I doubt it sells strongly either, but it's mainly a way to say to those that feel there's no point getting an Xbox One for TV when they can't use the HDMI In. Basically a bullet point. Wouldn't be surprised if in some markets they bundle the device with the console. They could even remove the HDMI In down the line if they wanted since this just uses an USB port. Rancid will probably be happy about that. LOL

Tommy McClain

It just feels so completely meaningless to me. They try to solve a problem which is either already solved(who doesn't have DVB support in their TV or external STBs) or is in the process of becoming meaningless to its customer base. Does the target group of these console actually still watch TV outside live events they can't get elsewhere?

I'm truly wondering on what kind of market projections MS bases their decision for the X1. On one hand they kill their media center which apparently some old timers enjoyed and then run this weird TV content strategy.

(who doesn't have DVB support in their TV or external STBs)

This device solves the former. The HDMI In already solved the latter. Remember this about bringing Live TV, Snap TV & OneGuide support to the Xbox One.

Tommy McClain

It is if I can pause tv, which this will allow you to do. Not sure how many tvs allow live tv to be paused.
This is definitely becoming a more popular feature. Connect a USB flash drive or HDD to the USB port of my Sony TV and TV pausing and full PVR features appear. I've seen the feature on a bunch of Samsung TVs as well.

This is definitely becoming a more popular feature. Connect a USB flash drive or HDD to the USB port of my Sony TV and TV pausing and full PVR features appear. I've seen the feature on a bunch of Samsung TVs as well.

Interesting. I have a samsung smart tv. Maybe it has the feature and I didn't even know.

In XB1's favour, it's a very affordable box and the quality of experience may be worth it for some using cheap and nasty options or badly designed boxes, though I'll be surprised if it sells strongly. In the UK at least, everyone who values TV has a PVR and/or cable box. For the past year or two our ISPs have been shoving NowTVs in our face so it's actually kinda difficult not to have a PVR of some form! ;)

Markets like the UK is still dominated by free-to-air and it was not that long ago that the forced change from analogue to DTV occurred, meaning the place is awash with basic freeview boxes with little controls outside of a programming guide.

I haven't read good things about the built-in PVR functions in the newer TVs. Slow & clumsy are words I've seen used to describe them. If you're always using the Xbox then I can see benefit of the OneGuide when it comes to TV. It would be a seemless experience. As for me, I don't own a cable box or DVR so a device like this is exactly what I need.

Tommy McClain

It is if I can pause tv, which this will allow you to do. Not sure how many tvs allow live tv to be paused.

Dsoup beat me to it.

My biggest complaint about the X1 as a all in one media center is the internal non-user upgradable HDD. I mean, games + media on 500 gig is pretty limited. Yeah I know you can have a even more cables snaking off the X1 with external storage but would be nice if I could cram a 1-2TB HDD and not worry about it.

Interesting. I have a samsung smart tv. Maybe it has the feature and I didn't even know.
I know it's taboo but RTFM ;) I had a spare 32Gb stick which is now nestled in the back of my TV giving me live TV pausing. Obviously you can also set to record from the programme guide and even SCART REC - talk about old school!

Connect a USB flash drive or HDD to the USB port of my Sony TV and TV pausing and full PVR features appear. I've seen the feature on a bunch of Samsung TVs as well.
I have 500GB USB powered drive connected to SonyBravia(2011) LCD and CI+ smartcard adapter [Nordig DVB-C household]. I can program recordings and live timeshift all channels be it free-to-watch, protected and HD channels. Major missing part is a keyword based recurring recording but thats just a software issue, expecting new models make it better and better each year.

BraviaTV has a pic-in-pic split screen (hdmi_in vs live/recording) but I rarely use it just because its behind a four keypresses :) XboxOne usb tuner should bring pic-in-pic more streamlined experience if thats what people want to snap. Expecting XOne DVR functionality support external usb disks so an internal disk is not full after two weeks of recordings.

I don't see much value in any integrated stb EPG guides because navigation and search is usually somewhat gimped experience. Have long time use a living room Android tablet for tvguide browsing its much better application experience. BraviaTV has a limited useful Android remote control app but its just a clickable remote controller drawn on tablet screen. CompanionApps(2nd screen apps) could bring extra value so I could browse html5 tvguide, click on Record this, Go to Channel etc..

BraviaTV has a limited useful Android remote control app but its just a clickable remote controller drawn on tablet screen.
O/T so brief - I'm using Sony's TV SideView app (iOS but also on Android) which is really impressive.. it has remote functionality but is really a hugely augmented EPG and content discovery app that connects to your TV and they both learn about the types of programs you like and offers suggections. It may be you're using a more basic app?

I know it's taboo but RTFM ;) I had a spare 32Gb stick which is now nestled in the back of my TV giving me live TV pausing. Obviously you can also set to record from the programme guide and even SCART REC - talk about old school!

Wow. Which model? I don't think any of the US models have this capability.

I would love this to come stateside. Im not sure how cable and satelite companys do business in europe, but in america they both are ridiculously priced. Sure you can get a great rate for a year if you sign a 2 year contract. The problem is after the first year the rate doubles or even triples and to get out of the last year it costs almost as much a keeping it. I use free over the air tv because of this and I would love to control my viewing with the xbox one not to mention pause sporting events when nature calls.
Ive always wondered why cable isnt as competitive as the mobile phone business as far as pricing.
I think if a company would provide a no nonsense pricing scheme that is affordable and locked in for the life of the contract they would clean up in the states. Hell Ms and Sony should both be looking into something like this (cable service).

Turns out that there are some legal issues that prevent this from being in the US TV sets. Someone probably has a patent...

Bugger

Im not sure how cable and satelite companys do business in europe, but in america they both are ridiculously priced.

I can only speak for the UK but there is competition here. I used to have Sky (satellite dish + receiver box attached to the TV) but didn't watch it enough so got rid of it all. I've recently switched to Sky's NowTV which is a streaming VOD service. Content suppliers have to compete and offer consumers options. I pay £9/month for Sky's movie catalogue (which is pretty good) and £5/month for the entertainment package which includes all the entertainment I need, from Game of Thrones to MTV. Naturally it's all on demand so watch what you like when you like with no limits.

I would love this to come stateside. Im not sure how cable and satelite companys do business in europe, but in america they both are ridiculously priced.
I don't understand. If you want to drop the cable boxes, you can just watch OTA TV. That's what this box is - it's nothing new to the TV space. But if you want to watch the latest, greatest content, this box won't solve that. The future for TV is internet streamed anyway.

Back