New PS4 Smell

BTW: Do downloads and game-updates in stand-bye mode already work? I noticed that last night, the BF4 (and Resogun) update were only downloaded and installed once I turned the system on (coming from standby). Is standby downloads something that will come in the future or am I mistaken?

So far as I'm aware, for all PSN members what's downloaded automatically in standby is only firmware updates. It checks once a day at a pre-determined time. For PS+ members, a check for game updates is also performed daily while in standby. For everyone (normal and plus), once the console is brought online it also automatically checks for any updates for the last X number of games played (without having to launch the game). I think many people were thinking is that there would be regular checks for game updates or perhaps even push notifications that the PS4 will address while in standby. That does not appear to be the case based on the verbiage I've seen from SCE (when I find it again I'll repost it).

Just FYI, when you double tap the Share button you get a chime as well as a small record icon briefly displayed in the upright corner. A similar thing happens when you press the shortcut to take a screenshot (except a different icon is displayed). The screenshot shortcut button can be assigned to either a single tap of the button, or holding the button down (whichever you choose, opening the Share menu takes the opposite option). That setting, to adjust Share button behavior, is in the Settings menu. Also, you can play around with both screenshots and video without having a FB or Twitter account.

Does the double tap bring up the video edit page at the beginning of the last 15 minutes recorded?

Nope, it doesn't bring up anything. The double tap and screenshot shortcut are designed to be non-disruptive. If you want to stop and take a screenshot or see the last 15 minutes you bring up the Share menu. From the Share Menu you can see the game screenshot that would be taken, the screenshots that you've already taken, the current video buffer along with past video clips and you can then go from there.

If you press the share button and then options, you will get a settings screen for all this stuff. And there also will be an option of what click/dblclick does with description.

Nope, it doesn't bring up anything. The double tap and screenshot shortcut are designed to be non-disruptive. If you want to stop and take a screenshot or see the last 15 minutes you bring up the Share menu. From the Share Menu you can see the game screenshot that would be taken, the screenshots that you've already taken, the current video buffer along with past video clips and you can then go from there.
So the double-tap is a pre-selected recording rather than a post-event recording? You start recording on the double tap, do your thing, and then stop it? It's not the 'that was so cool. Let's share it!' feature on that shortcut?

So the double-tap is a pre-selected recording rather than a post-event recording? You start recording on the double tap, do your thing, and then stop it? It's not the 'that was so cool. Let's share it!' feature on that shortcut?

That is my understanding, but I've never verified that to be the case when I'm playing around with it. What I can verify is that the "that was cool let me save it" is accessed in the Share menu. What I cannot say for sure is if double tapping essentially ends the previous buffer and starts a new one (perhaps saving the previous one). That will be easy enough to test.

That is my understanding, but I've never verified that to be the case when I'm playing around with it. What I can verify is that the "that was cool let me save it" is accessed in the Share menu. What I cannot say for sure is if double tapping essentially ends the previous buffer and starts a new one (perhaps saving the previous one). That will be easy enough to test.

I'm not a 100% sure, since the only conversations I've ever had around video capture weren't related to end use experience, but I believe what happens is there is a continuous 15 minute ring buffer. When you double tap the button, it takes the last X minutes and copies it for upload, I would assume that the ring buffer continues to fill.
FWIW the real implementation isn't quite that simple because I think you can do all this while simultaneously streaming at a different bit-rate, but logically it's pretty much what is supposed to happen.

I only tried it once so far ( I use the quick screenshot Setting) I double clicked and there was a record Symbol popping up - I did not touch the share button again. Later I checked the Video and it was 15 minutes from the double click onwards.

Here's what I can tell based on a bit of testing this weekend. Double tapping the Share button clears the previous running buffer (ring buffer as ERP puts it). Opening the Share menu will create and save a screenshot and save the current ring buffer to storage. The screenshot shortcut button will create a screenshot (although how quickly it does this seems rather inconsistent). Anything beyond that and I can't quite wrap my head around its behavior. For example, double tapping the Share to start a new recording, letting it sit for 60 seconds, and then double tapping it again does not create a 60 second clip that's saved. That second double tap simply clears the buffer and starts over again. To work consistently I could double tap, let it sit, and then open the Share menu. That was guaranteed to get me a clip of everything in between the double tap and opening the Share menu. Using the double tap as clip book ends would be really nice, however.

I'm not a 100% sure, since the only conversations I've ever had around video capture weren't related to end use experience, but I believe what happens is there is a continuous 15 minute ring buffer. When you double tap the button, it takes the last X minutes and copies it for upload, I would assume that the ring buffer continues to fill.
FWIW the real implementation isn't quite that simple because I think you can do all this while simultaneously streaming at a different bit-rate, but logically it's pretty much what is supposed to happen.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I don't know if streaming to Twitch is a different bitrate, but using the double tap shortcut will produce the recording notification while broadcasting. I have not verified if the clip is saved or not.

I also noticed that the quick screenshot icon overlay is not captured when recording (local recording), but the screenshot overlay may very well be captured in its own screenshot! I thought the screenshot icon being caught in the screenshot was amusing, but that icon not showing up in the local recording would seem to indicate that the video recording only captures the game display plane I think, while the screenshot will capture both game and OS display panes. Which makes sense, since I can screenshot the OS (which is a very handy feature).

Anyone know the patch notes for the firmware update that got pushed out today...?

I've been having a bunch of crashes when trying to shut down the console (also, some hugely enormously long shutdown time, even if it does not crash), especially if trying to suspend/shut down while it's playing back a movie disc at the time.

Once it crashed so hard that it would not resume playback properly and the video player hung completely; to the point that the resident OS could not kill it. None of the buttons on the controller did anything except holding PS button for an extended period, then I got a menu with choices including shut down the video player - which did not work, nothing happened even when waiting a minute+ for the player to exit. So I had to hold the power button instead to force a hard shutdown, and then the PS4 whined I hadn't shut it down properly last time and had to check my file system. Well, no shit sherlock, if you'd done your stuff properly I wouldn't have had to! :(

I ordered the DS4 charge station from Amazon UK. Didn't realize I could do that so easily using the same I account I setup for Amazon US. Currently out of stock, however.

Anyone know the patch notes for the firmware update that got pushed out today...?

The patch notes are pretty bare.

Main features in system software update version 1.51
System software stability during use of some features has been improved.

The GUI is atrocious for that IGN app, it does work but is confusing, unresponsive and does not follow the expected behaviour (triangle for cancel instead of "o" for example).

Cheers

It's amazing when a company gets the basics wrong.

Does the content match IGN's YouTube content or is it something different?

Once it crashed so hard that it would not resume playback properly and the video player hung completely; to the point that the resident OS could not kill it.

The streaming section seems pretty unstable. Ustream in particular often gets in a weird state where no streams will start although Twitch works fine. It's likely not a Ustream issue as our Roku loads up streams just fine when this happens (I tried as a test).

I had the PS4 get in a weird state the other day when I clicked on the streaming viewer immediately upon login. The stream app started to load but never finished. I eventually had to press the PS button which brought up a mostly blank logout menu (i.e. the general layout but with no options presented). Like you I had to force a shutdown and was told off for now shutting down properly when we restarted the box.

Cheers

Switched on my PS4 just now, first time for a day or so, and there is 1.52 firmware update waiting for me. Details of the changes online are vague to sketchy. There is nothing startlingly obviously different.

Switched on my PS4 just now, first time for a day or so, and there is 1.52 firmware update waiting for me. Details of the changes online are vague to sketchy. There is nothing startlingly obviously different.

Would be nice if they quietly start rolling in little features like 3D Bluray playback, and all the things they missed out on that the PS3 can do

Would be nice if they quietly start rolling in little features like 3D Bluray playback, and all the things they missed out on that the PS3 can do

The only feature I'm really wanting is the standby/resume, but I anticipated the first couple of updates were going to be bug fixes and little else.

Well, the option to download PS4 firmware updates during standby doesn't seem to be working currently. I checked my network traffic log and there was no traffic during the day and the PS4 only checked and downloaded the firmware once I turned it on.

At this point, the standby feature isn't actually worth a damn, so I'm better off actually shutting down the console completely.

PS: And yes, I have set all the correct settings for standby downloads, so that isn't it. Or does it work for anybody else?

Back