New Keyboard?

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm

My 1991 vintage Model M is still wonderful.

testimonial said:
Another programmer at the office was only too eager to trade her "noisy" IBM keyboard for the mushy device I was using. That was my introduction to the glorious Model M. It was like sitting down to a Steinway concert grand after years of playing a cheap toy. Some months ago I purchased from you a white label IBM Model M to use with the home computer; and I’ve just ordered another to be paired with a laptop. Thanks for offering these fine products. No complaints about the service either.
Mine was rescued from a skip for me by a mate. He's got one, too, which he's about to connect to his Mac Mini...

Jawed

I've used Model M's and always found them to kill my fingers. Never got the draw of them besides being vintage.

I own a G15, but it sits on a shelf while I've gone back to my tried and true Keytronic LT Designer.

I don't think KT make the membranes for these the way I like it anymore - I've bought 2 since the first, and have reused the membrane from the first over and over. Now they seem to have different keys weighted differently, where as with my older model, all the keystrokes seem to have the same weight (harder press.) It's a quiet, but solid key press which I've really gotten used to :)

One thing to make note of with the G15, is that the keys are actually clear plastic with a black painted covering 'cept for where the letters shine through. Problem with this, is that if your keyboard tends to get heavy use in certain areas, that black will eventually wear through until you see the blue backlights shining through. Looks a lot more ugly than when keys just have their letters wear off.

Interesting, I didnt know the entire key was painted. I think I'd be the type of person to remove all the paint off the keys. Heck, I get bored sometimes and might do a mod of them. To bad I don't plan on spending the money for a G15. :p

I'm going to be placing the order for what amounts to a new PC (everything but the CPU, Core 2 Duo based system) and I'll be picking up the Ultra X and the Microsoft Natural keyboard and then return whichever one I do not like. It'll be interesting, my current keyboard is a MS and I really like it, it just has the problems from aging. I think once you've used a keyboard for so long you grow into it and switching can be a challenge.

I find model M awesome for typing. precision is almost perfect, you can type really fast on it, without mistakes. but it's clicky hell for gaming, especially FPS (CLIK-CLIK-CLIK-CLAK-CLIK) though I like playing a flipper game with the SHIFT keys)

I use a 10 year old membrane IBM keyboard and love it. it doesn't feel perfect but might be the best I ever used.

if you're a cheap guy you can get some great keyboards in "boxing day" type sales or litterally in a trash bin. (some cheaper IBM keyboards from the "Aptiva" era suck in comparison, though)

never tried a keytronic but I guess this is what I'd want.

regarding wrist rest : I always hated them and don't understand the need for them, I think the wrist rests well enough on the desk, and you shouldn't make it rest too much while typing.

. I think once you've used a keyboard for so long you grow into it and switching can be a challenge.

I've been using microsft trekker wheel mouse for something like 5 years (cheap, light and good.. and has a ball) (I changed it once or twice)

Almost all my FPS gaming (except the good old classics, keyboard only :cool: ) was done on it, especially CS, quake3 and others. I'd say using that mouse is hardwired in my brain; I can't much stand optic mouses's shortcoming (and how they need a mouse pad, preferably an expensive one )

I have less trouble switching keyboard though.
though my current one will last quite a number of years. good keyboards not only are good but last long. the really crappy ones are extremely crappy/half broken after only one year..

-----

hey, while I don't know much about good current keyboards..
I've just remembered the current Dell are quite good (I've used it a bit), stylish, compact and have (almost) standard layout.

Dell_keyboard_8115.jpg

it can be ordered alone (and isn't expensive)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in love with my G15, well worth the money if you're willing to use the macro functionality....

The only disappointing thing is the LCD screen support never took off from a developer standpoint.

If it were more functional, I think that feature would have been a tremendous selling point.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, the homebrew creations haven't been tremendous for gaming. When I've looked, I haven't found a ton, but that was about a year ago. I just use the screen for MP3 display.

Vista has an API for such LCD screens (well, if they didn't cut that feature :rolleyes: )
(though I doubt games will really use it)

I always thought a keyboard without letters would be cool, and how often do you really look at it anyways?

Then again, about half of the keys on my keyboard are blank now...the letters wore off from use. :LOL:

I swore by the Model M for 2.5 years, but then it died (more specifically, the girlfriend knocked over a glass of water--cute slow motion "Nooooooo!"). I found a laptop-style keyboard, but I feel that it will die within a few months. I will replace my Model M at that point (people complained about the noise--they can suck it up).

I won't complain about the noise, but I will mention that I personally don't care for a noisy keyboard.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, I prefer the silent action type.

I've been using microsft trekker wheel mouse for something like 5 years (cheap, light and good.. and has a ball) (I changed it once or twice)

Almost all my FPS gaming (except the good old classics, keyboard only :cool: ) was done on it, especially CS, quake3 and others. I'd say using that mouse is hardwired in my brain; I can't much stand optic mouses's shortcoming (and how they need a mouse pad, preferably an expensive one )

I have less trouble switching keyboard though.
though my current one will last quite a number of years. good keyboards not only are good but last long. the really crappy ones are extremely crappy/half broken after only one year..

-----

I've just remembered the current Dell are quite good (I've used it a bit), stylish, compact and have (almost) standard layout.

http://www.tecomtrade.hr/uploads/Dell_keyboard_8115.jpg

I feel bad for you. :(

You ever use a new optical mouse? They blow away ball mice. By far.

Also, I've used MANY of the new style Dells, I really dislike them..........

Yeah, firstly, Blazkowicz, ball mice are poison to the soul. Try a decent optical mouse (i actually prefer wireless ones for the added battery weight) and you'll never go back. Secondly, for work, nothing replaces mechanical key switches. I bought my stepfather a Model M and he loves it. The clicking isn't bad at all, IMO. I guess I just grew up with it, so it's like, when I hear any typing noise, it's the same as the old clicking in my brain. However, for gaming, hard to beat scissor action.The nicest keyboard I've ever used is probably the Matias Pro. It's a USB keyboard desinged for use with Macs, but works fine with PCs. Like the old MS Elite, it features 2 USB ports on it, too. However, it can be a bit pricy ($60 US). Honestly, last time I went keyboard shopping I searched high and low for the MS Elite, but it was out of stock everywhere. if you do a lot of gaming, USB ports on the keyboard are great (though they don't have the juice for rumble pads). I guess I could buy a USB hub but... I'm cheap! ;p

I'll throw in a vote for Apple's USB Pro (current white one and older 'black' keyed one) keyboards. Been using them for 2+ years now on my PCs and I love the way they feel. HIDs are very much personal parts of the computing experience though.

Also, optical mice haven't needed a special mouse pad for like 10 years. I remember the first one I used on a Sun workstation did, but today's optical mice work on anything but really shiny surfaces.

Dell_keyboard_8115.jpg

I worked with this keyboard and I found it awful. The buttons are too big and too high. It was a really displeasing experience...

p.s. But, as already mentioned, I like flat keyboards :)

I don't understand what's special about flat keyboard, why would one use a laptop keyboard and not a full one.
as for that dell I didn't use it much but I found it more than decent, so at least it's better than the 90% crappy keyboards people strangely manage to live with.

I don't understand what's special about flat keyboard, why would one use a laptop keyboard and not a full one.
as for that dell I didn't use it much but I found it more than decent, so at least it's better than the 90% crappy keyboards people strangely manage to live with.
Laptop keyboards are closer to the clicky keyboards of yore than membrane keyboards, which makes them more comfortable to type on if you type at really high speeds.

The flat keyboards such as the Ultra-X ARE full size keyboards. They only have a laptop style membrane. Very different....

Also, its odd you make such a comment when you live a crappy mouse. Your experience must be pretty limited with your idea that you still need to use a special mouse pad. When was that? 95? I've never used any of my optical mice on a mousepad.

Back