New Keyboard?

Skrying

S K R Y I N G
Veteran
Open to any suggestions as this point. I would like to stay with a wired keyboard though, unless anyone has personal experience and can back up a wireless and confirm that it has the usual quick response, etc. My current keyboard is a Microsoft Multimedia, around 5 years old now. I have no perference between brands, I would say though that I love this keyboard but its developing some response problems with certain keys.

Soooooooo, hit me with those suggestions!

Logitech Ultra X. Once you use one, you'll never go back.

I got my wife one since she liked mine so much, and she's as bonkers about hers as I am about mine.

Nothing major special with it 'cept the keys are laptop style, low-profile, scissor-action types which makes it a lot easier and more comfortable to type on. (At least for me, my typing actually got a tad faster when I got this and I was already pretty quick)

They're out of stock at Newegg for $20 shipped. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive; but definitely the best I've ever used. :)

Does it come with a wrist rest? I do not use the one on my current keyboard, but my current does have a more extended bottom edge that serves this pupose.

It was actually a laptop that got me thinking about picking one up. I thought it was much easier on my fingers as well, so I'm pretty darn interested in it!

$15~$20? That's super cheap, I was ready to lay down up to $50 on a new one. I keep keyboards for a rather long time so I'm okay with spending that extra amount, same with mice for me also.

No wrist rest on the Ultra X. I use a little cheap foam one a drug rep gave my wife.

(My Dilbert one was too thick for the Ultra X, I needed a slimmer pad)

Actually this wrist rest I'm using is pretty well shot. The nylon top is coming loose from the foam rubber bottom all around the edges to varying degrees so it curls up a bit, too many years of sweaty palms and cats chewing on it.

Any recommendations on a nice wrist rest?

Microsoft Natural 4000

Easily the most comfortable keyboard i've ever used. Soft keys, perfect wrist guard support, extra function keys and not as extreme split positioning as other ergonomic styles so it's very easy to change to after using standard styles for years. Have converted most of my friends whom are willing to pay the higher cost after they use it just for a few minutes.

Only cons are it won't fit on most keyboard drawers because of its size, and the track skip keys don't work with winamp. Not that i've tried later versions of the software to see if they've fixed that.

I also have a Logitech UltraX keyboard, it is amasing! You won't regret it. Hovewer, if you don't like flat keys, this is nothing for you...

I have a Logitech Ultra-X lying around... it's OK... I also have a couple of these:

Logitech Ultra-Flat Keyboard

The latter is in my experience somewhat preferable to the Ultra-X. Though my main keyboard is a diNovo (the notebook one) which is better than both of the above... but it's wireless so not what the OP is after.

Logitech has some usefull VAR/OEM gear. I can't speak for the Ultra X, but the cordless S 510s at work are fine, no lag. For the money, they're a bargain. I use a BT diNovo Edge. It's OK too.

I remember a friend of mine showing me a custom made keyboard a few months ago done by an artist. Without a doubt the prettiest keyboard I ever saw. The keys were composed of a series of LCD images which could be changed via dekstop options, for example to work better with applications like photoshop. It went for something like 2 grand though. Now within the realm of realism, are there any backlit keyboards yet?

I remember a friend of mine showing me a custom made keyboard a few months ago done by an artist. Without a doubt the prettiest keyboard I ever saw. The keys were composed of a series of LCD images which could be changed via dekstop options, for example to work better with applications like photoshop. It went for something like 2 grand though. Now within the realm of realism, are there any backlit keyboards yet?

This one perhaps?

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

This cheap Sunbeam: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823178104

And this Saitek are some examples: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823175101

Generally they are cheaply made though, but the Saitek is actually pretty good from what I've had experience with. Xoxide even has a whole section of site dedicated to illuniated and backlighting keyboards: http://xoxide.com/blpsilke.html

Thank you for the links Skrying. It doesn't look like there's much to offer though, I tend to be finnicky regarding my keyboard. I don't see why Microsoft or Logitech don't hop on this bandwagon and produce a high quality one.

Thank you for the links Skrying. It doesn't look like there's much to offer though, I tend to be finnicky regarding my keyboard. I don't see why Microsoft or Logitech don't hop on this bandwagon and produce a high quality one.

I believe Logitech does, they're G15 comes to mind when it comes to this, but dont quote me on that. Of course it is a $100 gamers keyboard with an LCD screen so I see no reason why it shouldnt have this. Lol.

I'm in love with my G15, well worth the money if you're willing to use the macro functionality....

The only disappointing thing is the LCD screen support never took off from a developer standpoint.

If it were more functional, I think that feature would have been a tremendous selling point.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, the homebrew creations haven't been tremendous for gaming. When I've looked, I haven't found a ton, but that was about a year ago. I just use the screen for MP3 display.

Back