New Impressions of Gears Of War

Hardknock

Veteran
For all those that doubted it's graphics superiority. :)

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=68348

The demo was the playable demo from X05 I believe, with the dark forest and rain and whatnot. However, he showed us how the water would drip down walls, faces, armor, guns, trees. EVERYTHING. The crowd just went "Holy shit..." the whole time. He looked down, and it showed rain forming in puddles on the ground around the rocks. He then spun around for a couple seconds showing off the real time motion blur. No slowdown at all, incredible detail. He then turned around and looked out across either a lake or ocean with the rain hitting it, looked pretty cool. Some COD 2 people came back and asked if anyone wanted to play COD2 in the back, no one in the front of the line answered him and he finally had to pick 3 people from the back who couldnt see GOW . The Activision guys just squinted at the TV and looked away. Demo continues until he reaches the building, where all the video's I've seen of the scene stopped. Well Mark kept going inside the building with the dead bodies around . Your guy gets ambushed in the facility and your 2 buddies started helping you fight them off. Every time a bullet hit something, a puff of smoke rose so the fight got really hectic and messy, really fast. He was also spasming with the controller while shooting at the monsters, probably to show off the blur effect some more. He entered a subway track with 3 trams and mentions that it was going to be like Space Mountain with guns.He also said that this part wasnt worked on as much as the forest scene at this point, but it still looked amazing. This is where he dropped a bombshell, which I don't believe has been released yet...He said that the guys in the trams behind the main character would be the other player in co-op mode. I didn't even know co-op was going to be in GoW, so I was really excited. The 3 trams with you and your allies started moving along the track and split up at some points and got close to a raging fire. The characters were all illuminated from the flame, it looked really good....unfortunatly....after shooting a few monsters off the tram that crisscrossed and had you covering your teammates, the game locked and he shut off the console =*(

The convention was dissappointing, but GoW made it all worth it. Gears of War is the best looking game I have ever seen, damn Epic for making me get a Xbox 360 for GoW

And here's a video of the rain in question(it's not direct feed, but it's the best we've got ;) ):

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/2577/Gears-of-War-Demo/

And here's the latest trailer that has driven f@nboys to saying it's not real-time :LOL: :

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360-hires/2628/Gears-of-War-X05-Trailer-High-Resolution/

Wait a minute, wouldn't all of this make more sense just posted in the 'New Gears of War Trailer' thread than here in a new one? ;)

xbdestroya said:
Wait a minute, wouldn't all of this make more sense just posted in the 'New Gears of War Trailer' thread than here in a new one? ;)

these are not impressions of the New GOW trailer.

Hardknock said:
these are not impressions of the New GOW trailer.

No I know, it just seemed a similar sort of sub-topic. I'm certainly not begrudging anyone their great impressions threads. :)

It has been known for some time (the beginning?) that GOW had co-op mode. I know this because beyond the graphics, THAT'S what made me really want this game back when it was announced. ;)

c0_re said:
GOW 4 person co-operative online(hopefully story mode) is going to own.

Cliff described co-op as though it were for story mode (it was a G4 or GT vid, I forget).

Back