New gaming rig

1.5v is what Intel specs for the JEDEC profiles. The XMP profiles (also specced by Intel) go to 1.65 to get higher speeds. For instance, my RAM does JEDEC speeds of 533, 609 & 685 mhz at 1.5 volts, but does XMP-2400 speeds at 1.65 volts

There's a good post about it here:

JackNaylorPE
June 9, 2013 3:18:33 PM

koolbhoy said:
Apparently Haswell, SB and IB are all recommended a RAM voltage of 1.5v and running anything higher leads to warranty being void and an increased chance of things going wrong for the CPU!.
Absolutely false ..... I can't understand why this misinformation continues to be propagated.

1.5 volts is for the JDEC profiles .... but most RAM speeds are advertised and labeled based upon their XMP profiles......most XMP profiles for i5 and i7 RAM is 1.65.

I have seen many posts saying "Well that's a MoBo manufacturer thing". No....Intel sets the XMP profile. I agree, Intel's JDEC specifications stipulate 1.5 volts .... for JDEC profiles ..... but XMP "allows compatible DDR3 memory to perform beyond standard specifications" and is "predefined and tested" by Intel

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-co...

Quote:
Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) allows you to overclock compatible DDR3 memory to perform beyond standard specifications. It’s designed to enhance the gaming features built into Intel® technology–based PCs. If you like to overclock and squeeze as much performance from your PC as possible, then memory based on Intel XMP gives you that extra edge you need to dominate—without breaking a sweat.

Predefined and tested Intel XMP profiles can be loaded via BIOS or a specific tuning application through a computer’s operating system. Often the easiest way to load Intel XMP profiles is using a tuning utility, which may be available depending on the particular board manufacturer. To learn whether a tuning utility is available on your system, you should contact the board manufacturer.
Again, most listed compatible i5 / i7 RAM is 1.65 .... at least according to Intel's compatibility lists

Intel's approved i7 Compatibilty List for the 4770k (May 2013) includes:

12 1.65 volt modules
02 1.60 volt modules
09 1.50 volt modules

Intel's approved i5 Compatibilty List for the 4770k (May 2013) includes:

11 1.65 volt modules
00 1.60 volt modules
09 1.50 volt modules

As to speed, faster RAM and lower CAS do result in increased performance. Whether the % increase in performance is worth the increase in RAM price is questionable depending on what ya doing. However, if ya compare % performance increase with % increase in total system cost, it's not far from hard to make that argument.

know, I'm just wondering if the blob I put on was a bit too small

Am I right in thinking this ?

Magnified surface of a cpu
yellow = thermal compound

Top pic is wrong
bottom pic is right ???

Am I right in thinking this ?

Top pic is wrong
bottom pic is right ???

Yes, in an ideal world, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've done both the really thin layer scraped across the heatspreader till it's translucent, as well as the 5mm blob in the middle squashed out by the heatsink, and it seems to make little difference, especially if you have a proper fixing method that bolts through the motherboard.

The chip is a much smaller square in the centre of the heatspreader, and you're handicapped by the TIM between the chip and the heatspreader.

As long as you don't put so much thermal compound it's actually acting as an insulator or is squeezing out the sides, I doubt you'll see much difference from your application method unless you're wildly overclocking, or have installed the heatsink incorrectly.

There's a big paste test here, and the author just
Each paste was applied using a rice grain sized blob in the center of the CPU's heatspreader and the clamping force of the Kuhler920 allowed to spread the paste, except for the Coolaboratory Liquid Pro which I followed the instructions within the packaging to apply.

more paste ;) or is it a spread
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Does-Mayonnaise-Last-as-a-Thermal-Compound/1793

ps: these new cpu's
I was under the impression they are super efficient and run really cool, is that not the case ?

They are efficient in that they don't use much power when they are just sitting there idling. They only use power when they need it, and so are really quite cool and use little power for the majority of the time when you are not doing much.

However, load up the cores/threads and they will try to guzzle power, and when overclocked will chuck out a lot of heat as they get up to the 4.6+GHz mark. The problem is as I described earlier in the thread, that it's difficult to get that heat out of the chip.

Sure, it's a chip that has a lot of processing power and can do stuff a lot faster, but the price for that is that the chip will use a lot of power, generate heat and hit the thermal limit when you really load it up. Intel didn't really make a cool chip, they made a chip that doesn't use power or generate heat when it doesn't need to.

Will any real world application come close to what the Intel Burn Test pushes though? I can encode mp4 and hit maybe 60 on my 3570k @4.2. The burn test can push it to 80+ quite easily. I'm not really worried about anything I do sending my CPU above 60.

I set 4-core multiplier to 39, which with auto-voltage bumps vcore to 1.200V on my board (not found any way to cap it to something lower without fixing volts permanently at that level, which is total bullshtick; 30 million settings in the bios and this is impossible to do it seems, or I'm not smart enough to find the proper setting), and Folding@Home tops out at less than 80C.

Small FFT stress test in Prime95 on the other hand bumps vcore to to 1.296V (due to the AVX maths units getting a heavy workout I presume) and temps hit 98C in a minute if not less. So, real-world application giving reasonable temps; artificial power virus code causes thermal runaway. Hopefully my new heatsink arrives tomorrow, then I will take this system apart, replace fans with higher-flow units (which run quieter too), and make sure the heatsink paste gets a proper application.

I'm pretty sure I didn't use enough the first time, which could explain the high temps I'm seeing to some extent, but this sink is such a bitch to put back on (old-style noctua mounting hardware; everything is separate pieces) that I don't want to rip it apart until I absolutely have to.

Will any real world application come close to what the Intel Burn Test pushes though? I can encode mp4 and hit maybe 60 on my 3570k @4.2. The burn test can push it to 80+ quite easily. I'm not really worried about anything I do sending my CPU above 60.

Realistically, not likely. Unless you're mining Bitcoins, looking for Prime Numbers, etc, and I don't know how good those things are loading the CPU for normal usage as opposed to torture tests.

The worst thing I found was IntelBurnTest - that was just bouncing off the thermal limiter straight away (100 degrees C). Then Prime95 torture test was on some cores occasionally hitting the thermal limiter, but with less power usage (between 80-95 degrees, occasionally touching 100). Encoding MP4s was between about 80-85 degrees. This was all on 4770K overclocked to 4700/4800GHz depending how many cores were active.

So for normal usage, or even heavy usage, nothing is going to come close to IntelBurnTest. It was so scary watching that with Realtemp, I only ran ten quick iterations and then decided that was harsh enough.

All the parts arrived yesterday evening. Finished installing everything today and just played some darksiders II.

Everything runs butter smooth. Installing windows literally took 10 minutes, booting takes about 30 seconds. The whole system makes absolutely NO noise when idle. Even in a silent room you almost can't hear it and it's probably about 30 degrees inside my room right now (Japanese summer sucks, and it isn't even real summer right now).

When gaming I can only hear the fans on my 560ti, seems the cpu isn't even close to breaking a sweat :LOL:

Only big downside is that I don't have my monitor yet. According to their website they are currently in the process of finding a Chinese child laberour to screw the thing together... Now it seems Dell isn't capable of delivering anything they sell within a reasonable time frame so I'm wondering how long it's going to take them.

If it doesn't atleast passes the "production" stage by Monday I'm going to cancel it and give my money to somebody who can actually be bothered to sell me something.

Oh and on the paste thing, I used way to much I think hehe. Doesnt look like it matters much though. When I had a quick look in the bios yesterday it said 33 degrees.

I would consider being patient; Dell screens are typically very well-put-together (they use only the most skilled chinese child laborers... ;)) If you can't wait, try something by Samsung (using IPS or PLS panel), which is typically also very good.

I would consider being patient; Dell screens are typically very well-put-together (they use only the most skilled chinese child laborers... ;)) If you can't wait, try something by Samsung (using IPS or PLS panel), which is typically also very good.

You have to be careful with IPS/PLS, as they can have lag/blur issues with quick gaming. They have nicer colours and better viewing angles, but they tend to be slower.

Although IPS are getting cheaper all the time, there is no perfect screen out there yet, they all have some compromise because all the various monitor panels technology tends to be good at some things and bad at others.

Bah. Never had any issues gaming at a competent level on any of my IPS/PLS screens, the lag isn't THAT bad.

I've ever so slightly noticed the slower pixel response time on my new IPS monitor compared to my old crappy TN panel. It is only visible in select scenes, like a chain-link fence moving across the screen against a bright background. Instead of appearing like a fence, it can sort of blur together and look like a grey wall. Aside from that, which is no big deal, the monitor is more than adequate for fast paced gaming.

The IPS panel is way, way better at everything else.

Of course YMMV. Some people will notice the difference between a 7ms IPS and a 2ms TN, but it's dependent on the games you play. I'd expect competitive twitch FPS players to complain the most, but it's certainly something to be aware of even for watching movies or anything with fast action.

I think the "IPSs are slow discussion" should turn into "monitor X is slow".

I've been using IPSs from Dell for 5 years and had no issue when gaming (not competitive, though).

The truth is that input lag may be as low as ~3ms for the latest generation of IPS (e.g, I know is top range but illustrates that lag is no inherent drawback: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2913wm.htm ).

Response times are have been comparatively decreasing as well.

Seems Dell's new batch of extremely well trained Chinese child laborers got delivered early as my monitor arrived last Friday.

Didn't do a lot of testing but colors seem pretty good. I use a 27' tn monitor at work and that looks like crap compared to this. Well, that monitor looks crap even compared to my cheap HP netbook...

Anyway colors look really nice. The colors actually have... color :LOL:

Calibration is horrible though. Most of it looks fine to me but at the standard setting white is yellow. And I don't mean it's a little off, no its just nowhere near white. Other settings just make it worse. For example if you select the movie setting white turns to blue. Again, not just a little bit too much blue like you can read in reviews when they talk about monitor calibration, no its actual blue. Though the custom setting (without actually inputting custom settings) looks decent. White still isn't as white as it should be but I can live with it. To a certain extent it might actually be better like this as it doesn't bother my eyes as much as a large white plane would.

Today I also replaced my good old Razer Krait (best mouse ever!) with a Logitec G400s. Did you know logitec is called logicool in Japan? Didn't know that until today. Picked up a 25 euro Logicool speaker set as well. Obviously its not anything special but it was cheap and I can't really fit anything bigger in my room/on my desk anyway.

So far pretty happy with everything. When I hooked up my monitor I was pretty shocked that I suddenly got a couple of hard freezes while just browsing the Internet but I think that was the result of some pending windows updates and a sick Firefox install/plugin.

Pretty big investment for me but so far it seems like it was worth the money :)

Good to hear. :) New PC hardware is one of the most fun things, IMO. Unpacking them, lovingly setting each piece of technology aside as you pick the next bit out of the box, holding them in your hands and turning them around, admiring the design and worksmanship... :D

I love it.

"Logicool", btw... Omg. Probably some trademark conflict. Have you checked what's at logitech.co.jp? :) (I assume they still use that system, although maybe they dropped the "co" bit by now. The brits still insist on it I believe.)

Good to hear. :) New PC hardware is one of the most fun things, IMO. Unpacking them, lovingly setting each piece of technology aside as you pick the next bit out of the box, holding them in your hands and turning them around, admiring the design and worksmanship... :D

I love it.

"Logicool", btw... Omg. Probably some trademark conflict. Have you checked what's at logitech.co.jp? :) (I assume they still use that system, although maybe they dropped the "co" bit by now. The brits still insist on it I believe.)

Logicool has been around for a very very long time now and is quite prevalent in Japan. Moreso than Logitech, so I have a feeling there aren't any conflicts. :)

Heck, there's also Logitec in Japan that has been around for a very very long time now. (http://www.logitec.co.jp/ ) I have a lot of stuff made by them. :)

Regards,
SB

Back