New cars?

Presumably you also have to keep the windows wound up so that there's no "smell of new car interior" : :?

I just got off the phone with my wife and she made it to work just fine, I was a little worried because it snowed early this morning and we woke up to a few inches on the ground.

I wiped off the Z and warmed it up for her, but I was a little worried about how it would handle on the snow.....I shouldn't have been.

My wife told me, "John, it's got like eight computers per wheel to keep them from slipping....I barely noticed there was snow on the ground.". :rolleyes:

Happy-happy, joy-joy! :D

Ty said:
Oh no. Your Z is RWD. You/she still need to be careful.
Yeah, but it's an intelligent RWD which I'm starting to understand is a whole 'nother animal entirely!
yep.gif

I'm serious, imagine a RWD car that's rear-end didn't slip even if you gunned it. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Yeah, but it's an intelligent RWD which I'm starting to understand is a whole 'nother animal entirely!
yep.gif

I'm serious, imagine a RWD car that's rear-end didn't slip even if you gunned it. :)

that's still not a license for reckless driving on slick roads. it's leagues beyond a "dumb" RWD but even with AWD you must respect the road. of course, I'm sure you arleady know it and i dont have to tell you that.

oh my gawd! I was next to e Bentley Continental GT today... I've never seen a car that has the road presence of that thing! I've been next to Rolls Limo's and none of them have the presence of this. it's AMAZING. you MUST go look at one!!!

edit: my 4th car will be something along those lines. my second one (im about to buy) will be a 2000 BMW 328Ci and my third will be a porsche convertible, probably a boxter.

digitalwanderer said:
yep.gif

I don't mean for this to sound condescending at all but I've been a freshalloy member for many many months as I was researching the Z before it came out. The owners there will tell you the importance of NOT believing the stability/traction control will save your ass. That is why many guys have TWO sets of tires, one for summer and one for winter. Now, I don't know how bad the roads in your area are so this of course plays a huge factor.

All I'm saying is that RWD is NO WHERE near AWD when it comes to traction. If you believe it is, then you are a fool, plain and simple, one that I hope doesn't learn this lesson the hard way.

You didn't sound condescending and I do appreciate the warning. I know the system isn't perfect, but it is impressive compared to off so I like it. (I have the VDC btw)

My wife said it handled well on the roads in bad conditions today, so it passes the snow test for now. :)

Traction shmaction. Even in an AWD car traction can be crap in bad weather conditions. The stock wheels on an Evo in the rain point this out just fine, they suck!

There are numerous ways to get traction and that is through tires and suspension setup, sadly these do vary greatly depending upon the type of driving wishing to be had. A RWD car with slicks and a beefy tranny will probably cut better 60 ft' times at a track than an AWD car with similar horsepower.

AWD does have its disadvantages too especially for systems like in the Evo or WRX. Nissan's ATESSA AWD system is rather good as it can divert more power to the front wheels when needed.

You can have dumb AWD or intelligent AWD. The VDC in the 350 or AH in a Vette allow regular drivers to go much farhter wiht their cars. AH does work wonders, but again it is not to be used as a crutch, only as a supplement.

Sonic said:
Traction shmaction. Even in an AWD car traction can be crap in bad weather conditions. The stock wheels on an Evo in the rain point this out just fine, they suck!

There are numerous ways to get traction and that is through tires and suspension setup, sadly these do vary greatly depending upon the type of driving wishing to be had. A RWD car with slicks and a beefy tranny will probably cut better 60 ft' times at a track than an AWD car with similar horsepower.

AWD does have its disadvantages too especially for systems like in the Evo or WRX. Nissan's ATESSA AWD system is rather good as it can divert more power to the front wheels when needed.

You can have dumb AWD or intelligent AWD. The VDC in the 350 or AH in a Vette allow regular drivers to go much farhter wiht their cars. AH does work wonders, but again it is not to be used as a crutch, only as a supplement.
So a stupid AWD system, like in the dsms(50% split all the time I think) is worse than a good RWD setup?
Both with slicks?
And on a course, is the AWD will be understeery right, since 50% of the torque if going to the front?
What if you stick in a 40/60 split?
Reason I ask, is I'm day dreaming about my next car.

For overal handling on the road it is far worse than a good RWD setup. Hell, I see plenty of cars that a re RWD that will outperform a good AWD setup.

The DSM AWD setup is really not that good to begin with. They are cheap little cars and you can mod the hell out of them, but that is mostly done in suspension. Also, do not forget that it is based off of a primarily FWD platform, just like the 3S is also.

I've owned a 3000GT VR4 and modded the hell out of it, but it still was a tank around the corners after a good $1500 into the suspension alone.

AWD is ok but in reality it comes down to suspension setup and tires. If you put enough money and focus into these things then any care will be great on a road course or autocross.

It seems that Ferraris handle better than Lamborghinis, that may have something to do with the AWD system of Lambo compared to the RWD system or Ferrari. The differences can also be primarily because of the different setups with the suspension.

What car do you wish to get next?

Sonic said:
For overal handling on the road it is far worse than a good RWD setup. Hell, I see plenty of cars that a re RWD that will outperform a good AWD setup.

The DSM AWD setup is really not that good to begin with. They are cheap little cars and you can mod the hell out of them, but that is mostly done in suspension. Also, do not forget that it is based off of a primarily FWD platform, just like the 3S is also.

I've owned a 3000GT VR4 and modded the hell out of it, but it still was a tank around the corners after a good $1500 into the suspension alone.

AWD is ok but in reality it comes down to suspension setup and tires. If you put enough money and focus into these things then any care will be great on a road course or autocross.

It seems that Ferraris handle better than Lamborghinis, that may have something to do with the AWD system of Lambo compared to the RWD system or Ferrari. The differences can also be primarily because of the different setups with the suspension.

What car do you wish to get next?
I've been thinking about a 1G AWD dsm and FC turbo Rx7s, the trouble with the rx7 is that being a rotary and all, I wonder how hard it would be more to modify it.
I'm looking for cars that responcd to mods well under 4500USD, with emphasis on handling more than straight line speed.
Although I only listed a dsm and an rx7, I'm open to suggestions.
Goals are a high 13/ low 14 second car initally, with good handling.

Is this an 80's RX7 we're talking about? I know you can get much out of the FD RX7, a hell of a lot.

How about a 240SX? They are nice cars and handle very well. With an SR20 swap those things can be true beasts not only in turns but also straight line. They also are good for drifting!

Do you need something with a turbo, because at this point in time it is easy to see hwy. The modability of turbo engines are great.

Sonic said:
Is this an 80's RX7 we're talking about? I know you can get much out of the FD RX7, a hell of a lot.

How about a 240SX? They are nice cars and handle very well. With an SR20 swap those things can be true beasts not only in turns but also straight line. They also are good for drifting!

Do you need something with a turbo, because at this point in time it is easy to see hwy. The modability of turbo engines are great.
Ya, the FD= way too much money.
240SX.. too much ricer bullshit, and how much does the sr20 run, and btw, I live in CA, so I'd prolly be fucked with that swap anyway.
I would prefer turbo for that reason.
I am not looking for some balls to the wall fast car, just like low 14s, so I don't want to get a car that needs an engine swap to run that.
I prefer engines that make power to 6-7 grand btw.

Sonic said:

Where did I say Traction > anything else? But given two cars identical in everyway but one is AWD and the other RWD, the former will hold the road better in inclimate conditions. This can be seen in the G35C RWD vs. AWD version (the latter is of course a bit heavier too).

Sonic said:
How badly is handling important to you?
Well, I like in so cal, I like watching road racing the most, but I dont know of tracks besides california speedway.
Basically I like handling, but I dont know about tracks.
Reading at dsmtuners, I think I've thrown that idea out, people claim the AWD hurts as much as it helps.

radeonic2 said:
Sonic said:

So a stupid AWD system, like in the dsms(50% split all the time I think) is worse than a good RWD setup?
Both with slicks?
And on a course, is the AWD will be understeery right, since 50% of the torque if going to the front?
What if you stick in a 40/60 split?
Reason I ask, is I'm day dreaming about my next car.

The new Merc M-Class has a 40/60 split, and you can order the "offroad package" which gives you a smoothly switchable version.

And the AMG one will give you a 6.5 l motor with 475 hp, 7000 rpm, 7 gears and some other really nice stuff... :mrgreen:

_xxx_ said:
And the AMG one will give you a 6.5 l motor with 475 hp, 7000 rpm, 7 gears and some other really nice stuff... :mrgreen:

How about a winning lottery ticket to pay for it? 8)

Back