New best graphics ever: Alan Wake

Having seen those shots, the environments are indescribably great. Crysis has the legs on it though. Character model is still plastic/blocky and does not match the how good the environment looks.

This was running on an Nvidia graphics solution according to Remedy at the Intel presser, any guesses?

I found that strange myself but Nvidia does make hardware that supports MS operating systems!

This was running on an Nvidia graphics solution according to Remedy at the Intel presser, any guesses?
Well, when a guy demonstrates security features earlier in the show using the password "i hate amd", and given that AMD own ATI now, should we really be surprised?

Though I can't help but be amused by the way his accent makes it sound like he said "nVidia crappics solution." For that matter, it seemed like he almost slipped into saying "Intel marchitecture" before correcting himself to say "Intel multicore architecture."

Best graphics ever... eh. I don't know. There's a limit to how much you can tell when you're looking at low-quality undersaturated video and photographs of a display. I've seen exceptional environments just about everywhere, though.

Besides, we all know the best image to come out of IDF was this one (warning : image is 2592x3872, so it may take a while) --
http://www.damientriolet.be/theinqidf.jpg
(note the name on the badge).

Having seen those shots, the environments are indescribably great. Crysis has the legs on it though. Character model is still plastic/blocky and does not match the how good the environment looks.

Anandtech reported that it is a 7900GTX... So, it does not need G80/R600 type GPU.. However, they do mention that they use 80% of one core solely for physics.. I think given this info, they can pull this level of detail in XB360.

Looking at the texture detail in some of these shots, I'm willing to bet that these will not be ported to any 512MB system in exactly that quality. Anyone willing to hold against me?

Also, since I'm in a nitpicky and technical mood today, the texture quality does seem strangely disproportional to the rather pedestrian environment poly counts. In the linked screenshot, look at the road, the left part of the hill in the back, or most obviously the 2-quad grass to the right of the screen.

looks very good, very similar to the naughty dog graphically (which is the current champ WRT graphics, though i have doubts about wether thats realtime or not)

thus this is certainly up there, a few errors though

http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4275/759_0004.jpg
missing some shadows, it looks like theyre using lightmaps (ouch!)

http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4275/759_0005.jpg
guys feet have sunk into the ground :)

http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4275/759_0006.jpg
dont know whats up with his elbows here

im gonna have to keep my eye on this one

http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/4275/759_0004.jpg
missing some shadows, it looks like theyre using lightmaps (ouch!)

I don't think so. You can miss shadow casting objects from a shadow buffer by simply not including them.
But I think that the car does cast a shadow, it's just off the screen. Notice how low the sun's position is, at this time shadows can be very, very long.

And on the other hand, a lightmap on such a large scale terrain would be so low res that a single pixel could be as big as the car itself. The reason is that you cna use tiled textures on terrain and even add a detail map on top of it, to make the pixels as small as you can - but the lightmap has to be individual across the entire surface for such a varied terrain.

And the final reason is of course the day/night cycle that's been demonstrated in the video. You just can't do that in realtime without fully dynamic shadows :)

Last edited by a moderator:
(youre right) actually now i look at it it doesnt look like lightmaps (not practical either since i assume the area is quite large), strange though the 2 two rails on top of the car or its mirror casting no shadows.
regardless this does look top notch

I don't think so. You can miss shadow casting objects from a shadow buffer by simply not including them.
But I think that the car does cast a shadow, it's just off the screen. Notice how low the sun's position is, at this time shadows can be very, very long.
in fact tyres cast shadows.
Cascade shadow mapping ftw :)

the environment in alan wake is one of the best i've seen so far. matched perhapse by Lair. i really like the twister and the physics involved there, the future of nextgen is most promising.

the environment in alan wake is one of the best i've seen so far. matched perhapse by Lair. i really like the twister and the physics involved there, the future of nextgen is most promising.
Yeah, it makes getting the Wii a lot less attractive.

Those large HD screenshots are of the 360 version of Alan Wake. Also, in the article linked the individual showing off Alan Wake stated that the visuals would look identical in the 360 and in the PC version. I'm very happy about this because so far it seems like some amazing top end graphics are going to be possible on the 360 and of course on the PS3.

Alan Wake is the best looking game I have seen so far, period. The environment is immense, textures sharp, polycount high, effects are tremendous, etc.

It's just disapointing it won't be coming out for the PS3 as well because it could probably be produced with graphics equivalent or even a little better!

Back