New best graphics ever: Alan Wake

Rangers

Legend
Best graphics ever was Unreal Engine 3 for a while.

Then imo Crysis eclipsed it.

We have a new possible champion, Alan Wake (warning, crap video quality):

http://www.gameklip.com/v/1606/

Running on quad core Kentfield. Slated for 360 but I doubt it'll look that good..
________
Cams Sexy

Last edited by a moderator:
l-b, did you notice you're just one post from 18,000!!

Alan Wake, looks good. The game saounds very interesting.
I hated Max Payne, but I won't hold that against AW.

Edit: I just noticed I'm one post away form 4,328!!! What a coincidence! l-b, you know what this means, it must be our destiny...

You think?! :devilish: Not only that's a quad core system, but it would probably have a few gigs of RAM here and there ;)

Pair that baby up with Quad SLI and you might have a fair approximation of the raw computing power in PS4 here today ya/nay?

I say nay, scary to think of it but RAM increases at 8X rate, if we make the same assumption on general computing power, a quad SLI would only be around 4X of PS3. And that is only raw power, quad sli is barely used, where PS4 will have a single GPU solution that is full uitlized.

OTOH that system uses Core Dou, which is probably such a great CPU that I'm inclined to believe it may compete with whatever is in PS4/X3602 today.

Just scary what "next" next gen games will look like then, heh.

Actually the game is so photorealistic that, besides the incredible water, it almost looks too real. It's very close anymore to playing a video. I'm not one for graphical threshholds but perhaps one is being reached.

There should be some type of Alan Wake 360 news/media coming out of X06, to make this console relevant, this can be a precurser thread.
________
Volcano vaporizers

This game looks fantastic, very nice visuals.

OTOH that system uses Core Dou, which is probably such a great CPU that I'm inclined to believe it may compete with whatever is in PS4/X3602 today.

Are you serious? You expect a CPU of today to be able to compete with CPU's that will be arriving in 5-6 years time with performance lying on or above the expected curve for that time?

I'd just take a guess here, but unless those two consoles decide to go the Nintendo route, their CPU's should be able to comfortably run rings around a Kentsfield in performance for game applications come 2011.

Ok..this game is SO gonna run at 10 frames per second on 360..lol
Either that or I think it will definitely take a hit in detail somehow..

Ok..this game is SO gonna run at 10 frames per second on 360..lol
Either that or I think it will definitely take a hit in detail somehow..
last year videos were very steady on framerate. we will see in a few hours.
my guess is draw distance will be the main difference. and physics.

I saw that video and I fail to see the bast graphics ever, what's wrong with me? :)

I saw that video and I fail to see the bast graphics ever, what's wrong with me? :)

I actually don't like the way that character moves..(its very Max Payne)..or the generic look of the main character.
Other than that, it looks near Crysis level.

EDIT: Maybe a bit better than Crysis actually.

It's impressive.

I have to say though I've never liked "PC graphics". They always have that certain hard-edged ultra-clean look. It's the reason I've never been a PC gamer.

Is there a reason for this. I notice console graphics generally (although with these new systems I'm seeing that same look creep in) have a different flavour and style. Maybe it's just aesthetics or maybe it is something technical.

:LOL: errr.. maybe you are tired or something? :D
No, maybe you guys have seen another movie.. the movie I've seen has got a so crappy quality that you can really tell if the graphics is amazing or not.
Do you have a good link?

do you have a 360? there's some old footage of it there in HD @marketplace.
but there's gonna be some brand new footage (like the one on this video on top) in a couple of hours.

idf9.jpg

idf10.jpg

plus this
Intel officially revealed the name of Kentsfield this morning, and branded it Core 2 Quad.

It will be out in November. We were treated to a demo of a Quad machine running Remedy's unreleased follow-up to Max Payne, Alan Wake.

The game looked, frankly, stunning. Remedy has coded the engine to take advantage of quad-core processors - the engine scales as you move from single to dual to quad. We saw some amazing environmental effects, not to mention true next-gen graphics that easily rival anything from Unreal Engine.

Markus Maki, Remedy's rep at the forum, said that Alan Wake had been 18 months in the making so far. The multiple cores are used to stream data in the background in preparation for moves into new areas, and to prepare output for the graphics card to render.

Markus also revealed that one whole core is used for physics calculations, and we saw a hurricane tear up the in-game world in a rather realistic fashion as illustration.

For the true enthusiasts, Intel revealed that this Kentsfield, the Q6700, had been overclocked up to 3.73GHz, a 1GHz clock, with no issues. "Overclocking is allowed here, huh?" mused Otellini.

Alan Wake looked stunning, and it seems that quad-core could soon be ready for gamers. We'll be hearing far more later on in the day, so we'll be sure to let you know.

plus this: http://www.xboxyde.com/stream_3094_en.html
and this: http://mfile.akamai.com/28603/wmv/i...com/10670//idf/event3/092606_pso/pso_high.wmv (copy/paste to media player to stream it)

the guys showing the demo on pc, made a note that that pc is most probably the most powerfull gaming rig in the world.:oops: :LOL:
but we also have this:
Remedy: 360 is our main platform, it'll look good on that.

Is that some severe lack of AF or what!!!
There's something wrong in the PS3 shot, I see just black. Besides I don't think it'll ever come to PS3 as it's a MS Games Studios game now (published by).
...oh, I get it now :oops:

There's a thing on Anand where the devs claim it will look absolutely identical on 360

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2841&p=2

[QOUTE]The game will actually spawn five independent threads: one for rendering, audio, streaming, physics and terrain tessellation. The rendering thread is the same as it would be in any game, simply preparing vertices and data to be sent to the GPU for rendering. The audio thread will obviously be used for all audio in the game, although Remedy indicates that it is far from a CPU intensive thread.

The streaming thread will be used to stream data off of the DVD or hard disk as well as decompress the data on the fly. Remedy's goal here is to have a completely seamless transition as you move from one area to the next in Alan Wake's 36 square mile environment, without loading screens/pauses. With Alan Wake being developed simultaneously for both the Xbox 360 and the PC, efficiency is quite high as developing for a console forces a developer to be much more focused than on a PC since you are given limited resources on a console. Markus admitted that being a PC-only developer can easily lead to laziness, and developing for the 360 has improved the efficiency of Alan Wake tremendously. With that said, Markus expects the visual and gameplay experience to be identical on the Xbox 360 and the PC when Alan Wake ships, hopefully without any in-game load screens. [/QOUTE]

Also claims the game was running on a single 7900GTX? Hard to believe imo.
________
California Medical Marijuana

Back