New are you ready video

I like spoofs. I've seen lots of spoofs. And that would be a pretty poor spoof (IMO).

Too short to establish itself as a spoof purely on content, and no punchline to make it clear. In fact, in the other thread there are people taking it seriously and getting excited over it. You don't get excited over spoofs.

I think they were targetting those people who would get excited over it, and as such it strikes me as simply a cheesy attempt of such (again, IMO, others seem to be getting excited by it). The reasoning "it can't be serious because nVidia marketing wouldn't do something that flawed as a serious attempt" strikes me as circular and prone to being proven false as soon as they actually do. Spoof, or not, I think the effort is pretty poor in either direction (in the case of a spoof because there is no indication it is a spoof at all in the way it is presented from the "Are you ready?" link or by the presence of a "punchline" as I mentioned).

That said, maybe more will be added to the video to clarify it is a "spoof". Seems strange to do a "spoof" and link it from that flash presentation at this juncture...that's something you'd do after you released the nv30 and all benchmarks show it dominates the competition, not significantly before you even announce its specs and the competition is trouncing your products.

Hear not the f@nboys. The site is representative of the NVDA marketing department hype machine in action, nothing more. And pretty lackluster i should say.

sancheuz said:
You guys are too fragile. It's like nvidia says anything and a whole bomb explodes on ati did this first, or ati is better, or nvidia rules or blah blah blah. Me personally, i feel this video is a marketing strategy by nvidia. I feel it is a way to take our money, but i must admit it is creative, and me i will give my money to them when the nv30 comes out, i'm getting it first day, just like millions of other "intelligent and wise" people... :)
You mean millions of other fools who will buy it without even knowing how it performs (as you state here)?

Is there any doubt that it will have excellent performance? Whether it's worth the price is another issue, but it is certain to be an excellent performer, most probably outperforming the Radeon 9700 by a decent margin.

You can rip all you want on the style of marketing, the quality of the video, etc., but it is greatly serving it's purpose. It's now getting millions of people worldwide to visit their page daily, just to find out what's new. Whether you believe the hype or not, you're still visiting, and spreading the word.

bdmosky said:
You can rip all you want on the style of marketing, the quality of the video, etc., but it is greatly serving it's purpose. It's now getting millions of people worldwide to visit their page daily, just to find out what's new. Whether you believe the hype or not, you're still visiting, and spreading the word.

Actually, I'm criticizing the video specifically. All the other elements of the presentation I think are fairly well done. That's why the video stands out as a poor effort, and why terms such as "pompous" (along with "corny" or the seemingly popular "cheesy") come to mind if they think that overdone melodramatic tone actually fits with the rest of the effort.

This type of build up worked for ATi, and it will likely work for nVidia. Actually, it reminds me of a combination of the ATi games (with...what...was that Radeon or Rage 128?) and ATi 9700 and Matrox Parhelia buildups. With, again, the caveat of my view of the video as either an exceptionally poorly done spoof or (IMO) an exceptionally poorly done "hype" video.

And, actually, no, I'm not quite bored enough to have visited since looking at the video (my total visits are like 3 or 4 I think) or to even have played the game :LOL: ...I'll wait until someone else tells me there is something interesting there before I click again.

In any case, if fans really do "eat up" that video (and it seems that many are indeed "eating it up"), I guess it will have worked for them...I just happen to think an effort without the shortcomings I've pointed out would have done just as well with those fans and yet might not have struck others as being of a "ridiculous" flavor....win win instead of win "maybe lose". *shrug* I'm sure you know where to place the "IMO" disclaimers.

You guys are oversensitive..it's just a video, nothing more, nothing less. Isn't possible to stop the nitpicking on every thing that ATI or NVIDIA (as companies) do to promote their products? Frankly speaking..imho..someone need to get a life ;)

Chalnoth said:
Is there any doubt that it will have excellent performance?

Yes. The single chip NV30 won't be faster than an R300, as the R300 has more raw bandwith and the R300 is an efficient architecture too (a IMR can't be much more efficient that the R300 is).

I'd say its had exactly the desired effect, its got you talking about NVidia and not ATi, inspite of the former having shown nothing "real" !

JohnH said:
I'd say its had exactly the desired effect, its got you talking about NVidia and not ATi, inspite of the former having shown nothing "real" !
100% Agreed. So we can says nvidia marketing staff knows their stuff :)

JohnH said:
Agree.

Yes. The single chip NV30 won't be faster than an R300, as the R300 has more raw bandwith and the R300 is an efficient architecture too (a IMR can't be much more efficient that the R300 is).
How do you know that ;). BTW, saying that it will have an excellent performance doesn't mean that it will be faster than the R300 :p.

nAo said:
You guys are oversensitive..it's just a video, nothing more, nothing less. Isn't possible to stop the nitpicking on every thing that ATI or NVIDIA (as companies) do to promote their products? Frankly speaking..imho..someone need to get a life ;)

Pardon me, but aren't you discussing the video too? Why is my discussion and opinion indicating I "need to get a life"? I do see the wink, but I just don't find the joke funny. :-?

In terms of "nitpicking", I think the video is corny, over-acted, and poor. That isn't nitpicking, it is an opinion.

In terms of "doing their job and making us talk about it", well there are two answers I have:

1) We were talking about the nv30 anyways, because it is the next new thing, and this is a 3d graphics related forum...is this a surprise? I'll continue to talk about nv30 related matters (or at the least read about them)...and I'll do the same for other "next new things" as well.

2) Even aside from this, except for the video IMO, I've already said it is a good buildup effort. There is no hidden deprecation of nVidia in that...I'm not saying anything about what I've seen is underhanded or "evil" or anything like that (in fact, I'd say it is perfectly and squeakily clean if you want me to evaluate the "morality" of it :rolleyes: ), I just think the video is corny, perhaps even "pompous" since I think it is not a spoof and they meant it seriously (and that does not mean "evil"...for goodness sake I even tried to refute the "egotistical" label someone gave it), so I'm not out to pick on, or even "nitpick" on nVidia! :LOL:

demalion said:
Pardon me, but aren't you discussing the video too? Why is my discussion and opinion indicating I "need to get a life"? I do see the wink, but I just don't find the joke funny. :-?
You don't find funny the video too so I don't mind :) And no, I'm not discussing the video, I'm meta-discussing it.Better..I WAS..It's my fault I didn't resisted to write in this thread.
In terms of "nitpicking", I think the video is corny, over-acted, and poor. That isn't nitpicking, it is an opinion.
Yeah..feel free to reiterate it another time if you believe we don't understand :D

ciao,
Marco

nAo said:
demalion said:
You don't find funny the video too so I don't mind :) And no, I'm not discussing the video, I'm meta-discussing it.Better..I WAS..It's my fault I didn't resisted to write in this thread.

Heh, so you think that was a spoof?

Yeah..feel free to reiterate it another time if you believe we don't understand :D

Heh, well you seem to think it is a nitpick, I thought I'd show it to you again and maybe you'd realize it was an opinion.

By the way, did I mention what I think of the video? :LOL: OK, yeah, I think my opinion of the video is well-established, 'nuff said. :D

How do you know how much raw bandwidth the NV30 will have? You don't know! You have no idea much how bandwidth the NV30 will have so don't type this kind of crap. :rolleyes:

Well, it all really depends on whether or not NV30 has a 128-bit memory interface (in which case it will have less bandwidth) or if it does actually have 256-bit memory.

The general consensus seems to be that it does have 128-bit + as fast DDR-II as possible but this still = less raw bandwidth. It is also rumoured, of course, have a more exotic occlusion tech to enable much higher "effective" bandwidth.

Mariner said:
The general consensus seems to be that it does have 128-bit + as fast DDR-II as possible but this still = less raw bandwidth.

Consensus doesn't mean squat.

And claiming that the Radeon 9700 is, "About as efficient as an IMR can be," is ludicrous. There's a whole lot more that can be done.

Chalnoth said:
Mariner said:
The general consensus seems to be that it does have 128-bit + as fast DDR-II as possible but this still = less raw bandwidth.

Consensus doesn't mean squat.

And claiming that the Radeon 9700 is, "About as efficient as an IMR can be," is ludicrous. There's a whole lot more that can be done.

I agree 100 %

One more thing its a promo and remember the best way to market a product is to make an advertisement that stays in peoples minds. So what if it is cheesy (which I totally agree it is :) ) it has still created a stir and thus, has served its purpose.

Btw I really liked the game (reminded me of skyfox II) now if it only ran a bit faster ;)

Ahhhhh halp the nVidia hype is taking over my brain.

I can feel the hype molecules crawling through my eyes and into my brains stem and controlling my respiration... until all I can do is think... NV30... NV30... NV30...

nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Back