New Apple TV

I would expect the Apple TV to get yearly updates from now on, since they are past the hobby stage. No reason to compare a game console that should last 5-10 years to a device with yearly updates.

Does the Xbox One and PS4 even do 4K60?

Around 2007-2008, people were saying the same thing about 1080p after Sony touted 1080p for the PS3.

Yes I agree, but will the Roku still work when we have mass adoption of 4K? In 2007, 1080p TV's costed the same as what 4K Tv's currently cost. We are 7-8 years later and we are getting close to having a strong majority adoption of 1080p, so should we expect the same? Maybe around 2022 or thereabouts?

Yes I agree, but will the Roku still work when we have mass adoption of 4K? In 2007, 1080p TV's costed the same as what 4K Tv's currently cost. We are 7-8 years later and we are getting close to having a strong majority adoption of 1080p, so should we expect the same? Maybe around 2022 or thereabouts?

I haven't shopped but there are suppose to be a lot of 4K TVs well under $1000 now, actually closer to $500 in many cases.

There's little reason to buy 1080p unless you really want to go for the bargain basement. 3D never became a big thing but all the nicer TVs from name brands had it. So even if content never materializes, people will get 4K as they replace TVs.

I haven't shopped but there are suppose to be a lot of 4K TVs well under $1000 now, actually closer to $500 in many cases.

There's little reason to buy 1080p unless you really want to go for the bargain basement. 3D never became a big thing but all the nicer TVs from name brands had it. So even if content never materializes, people will get 4K as they replace TVs.
The issue is not prinarily cost as we move forward (even if it will remain a factor for a few years) but replacement rate.

Yes you can get 4K quite cheaply these days, and I think there is a big reason why they haev come down in price so quickly? 4K HDR is coming throug shortly and this will more than likely be the standard for 4K moving forward. The 4K TV's out at the moment won't be compatible with 4K HDR so in a few years they will be obsolete. I am getting memories of HD-DVD with Bluray moving on as the standard.....remember VHS and Betamax?

Yes 4K will become more standard and normal HD (1080p) TV's will disappear, but as you said people will want to buy cheap TV's and if they can pick up a good branded 40" 1080p Sony or Samsung for $300 then why will they spend double to get a 4K TV they don't need.

4K is being held back by numerous factors. Internet bandwidth/speed for streaming 4K / Buying new films on 4K Bluray / Internet speed for downloading 4K content.....we are years away from any of these gaining traction.

Don't forget that there are still a huge selection of consumers buying DVD's for films as they don't own a Bluray player and more and more people are watching content on the go on large mobile phones and tablets, do they really need 4K content...no of course they don't.

We will still be talking about 4K adoption in 2-3 years time with nothing much having moved on.

I'm not even positive that Apple will release a new Apple TV next year with 4K, maybe 2017 instead?

You are forgetting the most important factor, the lack of 4K content. Barely any TV shows are delivered in 4K (be it live or recorded).

Back