New 360 Dash is not natively 1080p?*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure what you are saying here. Are you upset because the UI isnt 1080p?? Im assuming that the UI is 720p the same as the previous one.

We'll have to keep an eye on this. It would indeed be disappointing if the UI would be non-native res again.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2848768817_d02588f68d_o.jpg

I never liked the new UI but I was gonna accept it because I thought it would be shiny native hd but sadly it looks like yet another upscaled turd...
Yeah, I can see how with all the added features getting in the way, the only reason to have any interest in it is that it's a higher resolution display... :???:

Why can't MS make a hd UI when even Sony can?
It is HD. Looks 720p to me, though it is fuzzy. Certainly not SD upscaled though.

Unless you have a 50'' screen it's not like you'd notice the difference. http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/
I've a 20" screen and I clearly noticed the difference - it's a matter of sitting distance. Still, I'm impressed with the upscaling algorithm's results!

personally I would rather a low resolution dash rather than have the OS use up more memory, leaving less for games.
You can adjust what's presented when a game is active, so the impact on games should be minimal (if the OS is so designed). A 1080p interface overlaid on a 1080p output game won't necessitate a mega impact on a game versus a 720p upscaled interface. Of course use of vector fonts would allow upscaled visuals and still maintain the most important clarity of the texts, yet in this day and age vector text still is beyond the scope of our boxes!

personally I would rather a low resolution dash rather than have the OS use up more memory, leaving less for games.

Speaking of which, anyone got some in-depth explanation or theories on how the XMB can be brought up in-game? I understand that it mustn't be using much RAM as all the icons have to be buffered and loaded whenever you even switch menu categories. So little to no caching can be done. But how does it even manage to stay open as layer over the game while that's running in the background without any impact? Is it the SPE reserved for the OS alone that is used for this?

Quite possibly. The SPU ought to be doing something ;)

Also the XMB's performance is impacted by the game. It'll run far slower on some titles than others. That points to multitasking on something-or-other, probably PPU. I couldn't say for sure that games run without impact behind the XMB, as I've never really looked to compare framerates.

Speaking of which, anyone got some in-depth explanation or theories on how the XMB can be brought up in-game? I understand that it mustn't be using much RAM as all the icons have to be buffered and loaded whenever you even switch menu categories. So little to no caching can be done. But how does it even manage to stay open as layer over the game while that's running in the background without any impact? Is it the SPE reserved for the OS alone that is used for this?

1 SPE reserved for OS along with about 50 mb of ram (could be a smaller memory footprint by now, these things go down). Thats more than enough resources to make xmb appear as a layer and what not.

So the RSX is not involved at all? I always thought the reason for a slower XMB in-game was that it is impacted by RSX usage as well.

@Ostepop: But shouldn't 50MB be enough to save things like the icons of each category of the XMB? They all have to buffer anew whenever you move to something other than the Settings one - which I was curious about, too. How come those icons are "always" there but other system default ones like in the Network section aren't?

considering how good exclusive ps3 games look and how close multi platform games are these days even by the most low tier devs i rather take a good looking os like the ps3's than 360's crappy ones

considering how good exclusive ps3 games look and how close multi platform games are these days even by the most low tier devs i rather take a good looking os like the ps3's than 360's crappy ones

I thought this was a discussion about native resolution. And so far we have no info about what the native resolution is. We have a 1920x1080 jpeg in which the panels seem to be upscaled.

What about the new 360 interface do you find crappy?

Thanks for your opinion. And as has been mentioned a few times, the 360 dashboard, is HD.

Personally as far as the UI is concerned I care more about functionality, and the new one is an upgrade.

Funny! A developer notes his preference for a non-HD OS (which we don't know if this even applies) over an HD one if it means memory concessions for games and we get this gem :cool:

The 360 dashboard does output 1080p if you set it that way - doesn't it?

The fonts are bigger and more heavily aliased than the XMB, and you don't like this, I understand that. But that's not a 720p issue unless you've set the dashboard to 720p.

The 360 dashboard does output 1080p if you set it that way - doesn't it?
No, it's 720p upscaled to 1080p. The 360 has the internal scaler.. everything is upscaled to 1080p if that's what you've selected as the output resolution.

There may be other factors at work besides just the native resolution.. fonts and text on the XMB are smaller than the Dashboard, so they may appear to be sharper. There may be varying "AA" levels to the text as well. I'm not sure about you guys' setups, but my Xbox is connected analog through VGA, my PS3 digital through HDMI. That alone makes a noticeable difference, even when displaying content that's otherwise identical in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back