Need your opinion

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
So far I dont own any next gen console and I d like to hear some opinions (OBJECTIVE PLEASE).

First of all I tend to own only one console each gen since I dont have the money to own more than one.
Ofcourse for the first time I am considering owning two of which one should be Wii since it seems to be very cheap.

The other console I was planning to own for sure was a PS3. Reasons? Well, on top of the extra functions which pull my interest it has one major thing for me. Certain franchises I love for years like FF, MGS, Tekken. VF etc.

Previously I wasnt interested much on a 360. But now it seems to gain lots of ground in my mind. New impressive franchises and AAA games. GoW is tempting me. Lost Planet seems like another potential AAA game and I am a big fan of Capcom. And there even more coming.

On the other hand, I dont seem to see any major excitement regarding Wii. Some games seem to get good reviews but people dont seem to be very excited about it. It doesnt seem that it will get games that will make people go WHOAH what an awesome game. It might end up just be different. So now I wonder:

Should I get a PS3 to play my favourite franchises and Wii for different gameplay?
Should I get a 360 and a Wii instead to play 360's new brilliant games?
Should I leave out Wii and force myself with a more expensive choice of both a 360 and a PS3 so I can play both worlds I am missing and still enjoy some motion sensing gameplay?
Or should I just get one console(PS3 or 360)?
Recently I am slightly underwhelmed with some things regarding the PS3, but some other things excite me about it. Ofcourse its too early to judge it.

But I cant make up my mind and I am not sure if I ll make the right purchase at the end. What would you do if you were in my shoes??

360 and PS3 are currently around equal in my mind and I am god damn confused

I'll admit I'll be slightly biased,

I game on my 360 and PC. The 360 is becoming my primary game platform. The only thing I still consistently play on the PC is Tribes vengeance. There are some really great titles out for the 360 (eg TDU), and some of the bundles coming out should be awesome (currently NZ has the console with 2 wireless controllers + PGR3 + DOA4 for $30 on the normal price).
That said I'd probably wait till the first major revision comes out. Less heat, probably an internal power supply + bigger HDD and lets hope it has a quieter disk drive. Although it may be a while coming.

I think we need to wait for the dust to settle on the PS3/Wii (literally for the 3 ;). They are too much of an unknown quantity at the moment. Given them 6 months and I think it will be much clearer how they stand. I waited ~8 months to get the 360, and I think that was a good choice (even though I knew day1 it was the system for me).

As the 360 is still 'new', you also pay through the nose for games. And you will want a play and charge kit + live subscription, so factor that in. Live is worth every cent though.

As hard as it is, I say wait it out and stick with the PC.

For me its simple. I wait for a game I (or my wife) must play, and that dictates the console choice. For the xbox360, it was oblivion.

I tried ExciteTruck at a wii kiosk, and didn't like it much at all. Currently there are no compelling PS3 games making me pull the trigger. So I'll just wait until they come.

So for me, both the PS3 and Wii are fairly even for a second console choice, although I'm leaning towards the PS3 (once the price drops). But a killer game can easily sway me either way. By the way I also group gaming PC as the third contender, since I may get a gaming rig if an exclusive PC game comes along too.

brian

Thanks. But PC is a no no for me right now and I never got the chance to get into it deeply. So I am very used to console gaming right now and its hard to change that. I am very accustomed to games that work best on consoles. :)
I'll admit I'll be slightly biased,

I game on my 360 and PC. The 360 is becoming my primary game platform. The only thing I still consistently play on the PC is Tribes vengeance. There are some really great titles out for the 360 (eg TDU), and some of the bundles coming out should be awesome (currently NZ has the console with 2 wireless controllers + PGR3 + DOA4 for $30 on the normal price).
That said I'd probably wait till the first major revision comes out. Less heat, probably an internal power supply + bigger HDD and lets hope it has a quieter disk drive. Although it may be a while coming.

I think we need to wait for the dust to settle on the PS3/Wii (literally for the 3 ;). They are too much of an unknown quantity at the moment. Given them 6 months and I think it will be much clearer how they stand. I waited ~8 months to get the 360, and I think that was a good choice (even though I knew day1 it was the system for me).

As the 360 is still 'new', you also pay through the nose for games. And you will want a play and charge kit + live subscription, so factor that in. Live is worth every cent though.

As hard as it is, I say wait it out and stick with the PC.

Well I cant stick with the PC because my PC sucks at gaming unless I want to play 5 year old games on it :LOL:
But that 360 offer is a STEAL! I might have given in if I had that offer right in front of me this moment :smile:

Lets hear more opinions

Short Answer: Wait until fall 2007.

Fuller answer: I kind of feel the same way.

I have been a very loyal Nintendo consumer because I love their franchises. NES, GB, SNES, N64, GCN. I also had a PS1 and Dreamcast in there as well as my best friend having a Genesis and SS (plus all the consoles I had). But Nintendo has gone a different route than I personally like and have not been able to reclaim their robust 3rd party support they pretty much lost with the N64. Nintendo + PC has been my staple.

But now I am open game. I love PC games, but hate the upgrade cost and dislike the fact the market is observably shrinking in regards to the number of quality titles. So I am more and more looking to a console to meet my needs. My big criteria have been:

1: Great online support. I am a social gamer at heart; playing with my friend on the West Coast is a big plus.

2: 720p support via VGA. I don't own a TV, I don't watch TV, and I don't plan to buy a TV. But I do have a 21" CRT.

3: KB/MS or other excellent input device. I hate gamepads for FPS. I can do it, but with my thumbs getting worn out from work it is not enjoyable.

4: A software library that caters to my cravings. I tend to like PC like games (deeper gameplay, long replay) and family oriented "Nintendo" games. My staple genres are sports, racing, FPS, and Nintendo 1st party games. I may only buy 10-20 titles (closer to 10) an entire generation and don't want 6 titles of the same game with the compulsory "roster update".

So I too have been watching the race shaping up before I take the plunge. But I am patient -- if I cannot get a 360 for $100 next week I will ride this out until fall 2007 at the earliest. But here are my current thoughts:

Wii: Technologically underwhelming sans Wii-mote. Huge turn off for me. Graphics are not everything, but 640x480 is blurry and has a lot of aliasing and it drives me nuts. Likewise the lack of power (RAM and CPU) hold back a lot of the nuances I have been seeing in a number of new next gen titles. Maybe this will change, but I am in definate wait and see mode. The Wii-mote looks awesome and I would have paid an extra $100 on either real next-gen console to have it packed in. Games... my sore spot with Nintendo. They are gonna have a killer Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. I expect a continuation of great new franchises like Pikmin. But after that... hmmm. They don't have the shere numbers Sony does in regards to internal or external support and have not gone the MS route of funding major dev houses to make exclusive content. I want to see if a) the Wii-mote can be effectively grasped by devs to make truly revolutionary, not gimmicky or unique, input and b) how long strong support lasts.

PS3: Hardware, sans BluRay, I would put on general par with the 360. I like the RSX move for Sony because it opens the door to the PC and got them a lot of quality tools from NV. Some performance areas of the G70/NV40 series concern me looking forward, but overall a huge win for Sony IMO and we are already seeing the fruit in ported FPS. Cell offers some extra exciting potential, but with the changing face of the industry the continued comments about dev tools and the reality of the hardware (8 asymetric cores to maximize potential, segmented memory pools, memory bandwidth concerns) I think the shift to more multiplatform and the 360 lead (and thus lead platform more often than in the past) can hurt some. On the other hand Sony has done the amazing: They are getting quality FPS titles quickly. Getting titles like FEAR, Call of Duty 3, and Rainbow Six: Vegas all in the launch window is GREAT. Toss in R:FoM and the PS3 has a better FPS lineup in the first 3 or 4 months than the entire PS2. Games in general is a hard one for me. I had a Playstation, but many of the Playstation exclusives never really interested me. e.g. Resident Evil. I didn't even bother to get it on the GCN. I have rented them but they just don't do anything for me. MGS is another one. The big pull for me on the PS are games like Gran Tourisimo, Madden, and so forth. And now they have FPS, although exclusives still look to be rare.

Online for free is a plus, but I want to see how support, features, and quality pan out. I am willing to pay for a great online experience. Sony excited me with their support for KB/MS and leaving it up to devs, but so far nuttin'. HUGE bummer. I have a PS2 controller and I hate it for FPS... I even like the GCN Wavebird better (egads!) for console FPS. No VGA is a killer (CRT only); I could pay an extra $70 or so for a Component-to-VGA plug, but with the news of downscaling issues I could get screwed so this is a definate wait and see. BluRay is nice, but I don't watch a ton of movies and have no intention of investing in yet another optical format. $200 for BluRay, for me, is a waste.

Xbox 360: I agree it has been gaining mindshare and momentum. Of my big 4 they nail 3. They have solid VGA support (only a few games don't auto-fake-letterbox 720p on a 4:3 aspect monitor; and those can be squashed). Online is great. The game library is looking hot. MS has a smaller internal studio size than Nintendo and Sony, but instead of $300M on a Rare like purchase, they have instead spent $20-$30M for a ton of titles from PROVEN dev houses. Gears of War, Lost Planet, Alan Wake, Bioshock, Wolfenstien, Mass Effect, Too Human, Blue Dragon, Lost Odessey, Splinter Cell 5, PGR4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Crackdown, and so forth. MS also has a lot of big guns coming internally like Halo 3, Halo Wars, Fable 2, Banjo 3, and so forth. MS ain't weak in the games. And due to their early launch they are the first with budget games. For months you have been able to get quality titles like PGR3 (with Forza Motorsport) for $30. The current library also has a lot of winners like GoW, Rainbow Six: Vegas, SC:DA, CoD2, Oblivion, GRAW, FNR3, Kameo, SC:DA, Dead Rising, Prey, Viva Pinata, Saint's Row, MotoGP, DoA4, FEAR, PGR3, Madden, NBA 2K, Condemned, LotR: Battle for Middle Earth 2, and so on. I mention all of those just to mention all the genres being filled with quality titles. Still thin in some areas, but a little something for everyone. Toss in XBLA and MS has really done a nice job in their first 12 months.

MS still has the propensity for stinkers for software (I guess Allard wants to follow the EA model). Seeing them delay titles like FM2 is a good sign in my books, although seeing how certain franchises are being positioned for times rather than features (FM2 e.g. is missing a lot of features I think should be manditory) is frustrating, but a sign of the times. MS's overall market share though has positioned them to get titles like Assassin's Creed and Brother in Arms 3 as well as removing the "exclusive period" for games like GTAIV. MS's continued efforts to support and woo 360-PC development seems to be working, and support for the 360 gamepad and whatnot on the PC is a nice perk. They also seem to be bringing quality perephrials like the FF Wheel to market... but this brings up ANOTHER complaint about MS: Totally unreasonable perephrial pricing. $40 for a wired controller? $150 for a FF Wheel with 270 degree turn and no shifter?

And MS's stance on KB/MS is plain irritating. Why should I have to buy a $500 GPU and a $100 PSU every 2 years for a $50 game? Just add a stupid Live filter and be done with it... or release a TB Gamepad (e.g. the rumored FPS gamepad). And it is not only cost--gamepads are not ideal for FPS style games (just watch a video of someone playing) and for people with repetitive stress injuries to the thumb (like myself) they are just dang annoying.

And to top it off, the Crash-Box 360 has me holding out. 65nm with a $100 price drop + large back library of $20 titles + some apps that actually push the hardware? Sounds MUCH better than 3 rings of death! The fact the PS3 kiosk crashed on me has me concerned about both consoles :???: And while peeps may praise MS tools, and I know Xenos was out in August 2005 and devs need to adapt to tiling, the fact many issues (like draw call overhead) and tiling still persist concerns me. They have all these devs making exclusives... either using middleware that isn't 360 specific or not pushing the hardware. Nice to see a title like SC:DA using MSAA, but I am hoping that the fall 2007 / spring 2008 titles built with Xenos in mind show us different, because if not it looks like MS made a huge blunder on the GPU. I think Xenos has a lot to offer and has a ton of room to grow and has a great featureset, and eDRAM is important for cost reduction, but if devs are not gonna target the hardware then you might as well have gone a more traditional route. Same thing applies to Sony and Cell with 3rd parties.

In summary: Wait until fall 2007.

Can you really wait until fall07? That's a long time to wait without next gen gaming.

Assuming you go multi-platform from the beginning can take a lot of angst out of the decision, since that way you don't need to worry about missing lots of great exclusives.

I still say the best bet is 360 now, and PS3 when it hits 200 bucks (or maybe 150 depending on your patience levels), if you've got the budget for it.

The PS3 hitting $200 is a very long ways off though, on the other hand the Xbox 360 could have the plain version hitting $200 by spring of '07. If I were to buy a console it'd certainly be the Xbox 360 at this point. Microsoft are doing a lot of things right and they're really pushing for good games on their console. Neither the PS3 or the Wii really do it for me, though I'm a Nintendo fan-boy I just do not see the Wii holding its own over 5 years and the PS3 is really going to be hurt by its lackluster start (bad dev tools, terrible launch) and that and some Microsoft money could sway developers to do Xbox 360 games.

If it was my choice I would say buy a 360 lots of good games already out and many more coming. Then in 2008 buy a PS3 it should have dropped in price and some of the good exclusives will be out. I have a 360 and plan to get a PS3 in 2008. I just see nothing exclusive to the PS3 now or the near future that warrents spending 600 dollars.

If I were getting one for myself I'd say it'd be a no-brainer to get an X360.

The Wii's graphics just won't be enough for me I'm pretty sure, but the PS3 is just too overblown/expensive/buggy looking to me right now as well as not exactly having the best game selection. :???:

The 360 is affordable, sweet eye-candy, and has the best selection of games around as well as the best online support. (From what I've gathered from just reading a few console forums and STRICTLY just my OPINION!!!!)

Having said that, I'll probably be getting a Wii soon. My kids are 6 & 9, it's another no-brainer for me on which to get....plus I'm a PC gamer anyways. ;)

<fan-bo-i speech>
You should get 360 because it's freaking awesome. GoW is truly awesome. And with lastest round of multiplatform games, the 360 proven itself up to par with PS3 (and beating it in some cases). What's nice about the 360 is you can enjoy it now, instead of waiting.

Overall, the 360 is stable, most of the kinks are ironed out. No 1080i issue. No HDMI issue, because there's none ;). The VGA connection on the 360 works very well.
</fan-bo-i speech>

I think think it's pretty obvious. I know I shouldn't be saying this because I'm a 360 fan, but I think you should wait til spring of 07 to get a PS3. The reason is the franchises you want, so not getting a PS3 is not an option. And if you can't afford both a 360 and PS3, I say get a Wii for xmas...actually your PS2 should able to hold you over xmas, and until the madness ends.

So far I dont own any next gen console and I d like to hear some opinions (OBJECTIVE PLEASE).

360 and PS3 are currently around equal in my mind and I am god damn confused

The single worst thing about getting a 360 is supporting Microsoft. Imagine a world where Microsoft also has the monopoly on game consoles, but thats politics i guess.

The single worst thing about getting a 360 is supporting Microsoft. Imagine a world where Microsoft also has the monopoly on game consoles, but thats politics i guess.

No worse than nintendo or sony having one. I don't want any company to have a monopoly it is not good for gamers. If sony wins in a landslide this time it very well could be sony or nothing in 6 years. I did not like when nintendo had a monopoly with the NES they were to controlling and pricing sucked.

I play mostly shooters, with an occasional simple action game thrown in. FFX was one of the greatest, most memorable entertainment experiences I've ever had; now I'm deep in FFXII and enjoying it just as much. I don't give a damn about MGS, and I've never liked a Nintendo game in my life, even though I tried a couple of times.

I'm buying a 360 when it hits $200 - hopefully in a few months. I'm probably buying a PS3 when it hits $200 somewhere far down the road, if Square doesn't give in and port to the 360. I'm buying the Wii probably never, but possibly if it's $100 and there are fun mini/music/party games to play with my daughter.

And I'm buying Guitar Hero 2 for my PS2 like... NOW!

Sort of hard to answer. Personally, if I couldn't get all the systems, I'd probably go with PS3 + Wii or PS3 + 360. PS3 is sort of a must for me.

Wii, for me, has the least amount to get excited about (smash bros will make me buy the system probably, but I haven't heard of anything else in the pipeline that has me excited).

Currently, the 360 is the good option. Already a decent sized library, with more and more great titles coming out all the time. The online is simply amazing and only continues to get better. I don't mind paying $50/year for such service. The controller really well done. Playing hours upon hours in a row, it's still comfortable. The D-pad sucks for fighting games (like SFII) but otherwise the controller is awesome.

In a year, it could change or remain the same. No one really knows but by that time I will had my 360 for 2 years and spent more than enough time on it that it really doesn't matter to me where it stands. Instant and short term gratification is much more important to me in gaming than a having 3-5 year plan for my consoles.

No worse than nintendo or sony having one. I don't want any company to have a monopoly it is not good for gamers. If sony wins in a landslide this time it very well could be sony or nothing in 6 years. I did not like when nintendo had a monopoly with the NES they were to controlling and pricing sucked.

As long as there is PC gaming there isn´t a real Monopoly on games, and the god honest truth is that Microsoft is gonna win in the end thanks to a bigger pool of money. Without Microsoft we would have Nintendo and Sony batteling. Now we have Microsoft powered by Office sales and a monopoly on operating systems slowly bleeding Sony to death.

As long as there is PC gaming there isn´t a real Monopoly on games, and the god honest truth is that Microsoft is gonna win in the end thanks to a bigger pool of money. Without Microsoft we would have Nintendo and Sony batteling. Now we have Microsoft powered by Office sales and a monopoly on operating systems slowly bleeding Sony to death.

I don't want to derail this thread if you wanna post another thread about this I would be happy to debate this all day.

I don't want to derail this thread if you wanna post another thread about this I would be happy to debate this all day.

Agreed, it's an interesting debate, but not a debate for this thread.

Personally, I own a 360, though finances have stopped me really buying much for it, i only have PGR3. All I would say is that my experiences last time round mirror yours this time. I owned a PS1, and i loved Final Fantasy, I loved GT and MGS was great too. I didn't play an awful lot of games on the system, coming to it fairly late, but i still enjoyed the franchises it offered. Despite this, i invested in an xbox over the PS2. This was largely because the games looked great, but i had no way to know for sure because i got one at launch. No, this is not likely be a popular feeling but i bought it because it was MS, and i felt it was likely to be most similar to the PC gaming space that i was brought up on. 20 or so games later and i don't regret it for a moment.

My only point here is that a love of the franchises on offer can make it hard to switch - buying a PS2 certainly crossed my mind a few times but if you get a 360, i'm pretty certain you'll have a good time. Xbox 360, imo, is going somewhere far faster than the other 2 platforms, there will be a lot of great games for some time to come and within 6 months, you'll be looking forward to the next xbox franchise, rather than the next Playstation one. GT5 and FF13 don't even register on my radar anymore, because i've not played either series in a long time now.

Not in here please :p

Pretty god opinions in general though. :)

I am currently noting down important aspects. Lets see what I ll get at the end :p

Back