Need your opinion

You can't buy a PS3 right now even if you wanted to!! It probably will be hard to buy a Wii until next year as well.

They way it is looking right now I won't have either a PS3 or Wii till March next year. Which is pretty damn sad because I have the money right now to pay for both. But I refuse to give the money to the ebayers just on principle.

At least there are still some good PS2 games coming out or that have just come out. And there is GoW for the 360 too.

Recently I am slightly underwhelmed with some things regarding the PS3, but some other things excite me about it. Ofcourse its too early to judge it.

But I cant make up my mind and I am not sure if I ll make the right purchase at the end. What would you do if you were in my shoes??

360 and PS3 are currently around equal in my mind and I am god damn confused

To be honest, if your going to buy a console right now, imo there is only one answer, and that is the Xbox 360.

Why?

1. The games - Xbox 360 has a much bigger library than the competition, and by the looks of the reviews, there is only 1 title on each console that is worth having (Zelda and Resistance), while the X360 has alot of solid titles.

2. Performance - I havent seen anything on the PS3 or on the X360 that cannot be done on the other console, for now, in my mind, they are equal in performance.

3. Price - Lets face it, $500 is more than $400 (and there are a few good bundles around for the X360, further lowering the price). Its even worse here in europe, as we only get the $600 version. Further, since the X360 has allready been out for a good while, there is alot of solid titles that you can get for cheap (PGR3 for example). Save the $100 bucks and buy a game or two extra.

4. Bluray isnt really something i care about, if i wanna watch movies, i mostly download them anyway, and with the fall update i can stream the movies (even HD-quality movies) directly on to my TV from my X360.

5. It sucks to buy a console at launch. The library is small, and you allways have to wait until that next big title comes out. I feel that the x360 is over that period, with alot of quality titles that has come out the last couple of months, i no longer go around waiting for the next big thing.

6. GTA4 is not PS3 exclusive. Assassins Creed is not PS3 exclusive. Multiplattform gaming is a trend that most 3rd party developers follow right now, meaning im probably not going to miss out on as much as i would last gen if i owned an Xbox.

7. Microsoft have really impressed me with their new exclusives. I CANT WAITfor Lost odyssey, forza 2, fable 2, Mass effect etc etc etc.

I will probably get a PS3, well, my flatmate probably will (as he is what you would call a ******), but at the moment he cannot justify the price compared to what he is getting for it. (and he luws my x360). He is waiting for the price to drop, and for the big exclusive titles. So no PS3 for me until 2008-2009

Last edited by a moderator:
The single worst thing about getting a 360 is supporting Microsoft. Imagine a world where Microsoft also has the monopoly on game consoles, but thats politics i guess.

Same arguement could be stated with Sony. Have you ever tried to service a Sony TV?
Try a different spin....the "best thing" about getting a 360 from Microsoft is that you are supporting a domestic company ;)

My opinion:

I have been gaming for 30 years. Nintendo, Sony, Sega, PC, etc. Playing Doom online with my bro on PC was indelible moment and brought me back into serious gaming. Seamless online gaming is essential for me. Xbox Live gives me that option. I just enjoying powering up and jumping right into action online. I really don't play single player missions now.
I was interested in BlueRay player, but the launch dismissed this notion. I just picked up HD-DVD addon for $169.99 and I am pleased.

I am very intrigued about Wii. This could be huge hit for family functions/parties and Nintendo may have done an admireable launch. Hope to pick one up for holidays.

To be honest, if your going to buy a console right now, imo there is only one answer, and that is the Xbox 360.

Why?

1. The games - Xbox 360 has a much bigger library than the competition, and by the looks of the reviews, there is only 1 title on each console that is worth having (Zelda and Resistance), while the X360 has alot of solid titles.
I agree on that but, I am not only talking about the present only. I take into consideration the future. Otherwise I would have already decided for a 360.
I never cared about GTA games anyways and it was never a PS exclusive to begin with. So its not included in my fav PS exclusive list.
The thing is though that I dont know what to do. Should I get a PS3 for its own exclusives and lose the 360 exclusives? Or go for the 360 for its own exclusives and lose the PS3 exclusives?
Sh!t. Gaming is even more complicated than before

The thing is though that I dont know what to do. Should I get a PS3 for its own exclusives and lose the 360 exclusives? Or go for the 360 for its own exclusives and lose the PS3 exclusives?
Which exclusives do you prefer?!

For that, I'd say wait. We've no idea how the exclusives will pan out, and even if most disc titles are cross-platform, there's the Download games that look like they'll be very different. Thus as well as the titles we know that are coming out for the platforms, there's lots we don't yet know about that might swing it for you.

To me, it all comes down to the games. I held out on the 360 launch and waited until PS3 and Wii launch to have a better assessment of what each system offers in games. So far, the vast majority of multiplatform games on 360 and PS3 are better on the 360 either in features (online), stability (fps), etc. This is likely due to difficulties of Cell, developers getting grips with more difficult PS3 dev kits, etc and I understand all that as a techie but as a consumer all I care is the best return for my money.

So, if I were to buy a console this year (and it looks like I will), I would be stupid not to get a 360. It has the AAA games out now (GOW, GRAW, Viva Pinata, R6: Vegas, Oblivion, Dead Rising), AAA games coming soon (Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Halo 2 maps), awesome online experience that is worth the $50 a year, more affordable than PS3, just as powerful as the PS3 to me, Live Arcade, and also you can start to find great deals such as EB Games (360 Prem, GRAW, replacement plan all for $400). I don't care about HD-DVD nor Blu Ray as I will wait until there is a clear format winner. The awesome PS3 exclusives I want (MGS4, FF13, GT4) are nowhere close to being released so I can afford wait until the PS3 price drops before getting one. As for Wii, I may snag one next year (the launch lineup is very lacking to me besides Zelda and maybe Wii sports).

When it comes down to it, it's all about the games. Right now and next year, the 360 has the best lineup. Can you really wait another year? I don't think I can. :LOL:

Edit: wanted to just say that PS2 gaming is awesome right now too!

I agree on that but, I am not only talking about the present only. I take into consideration the future. Otherwise I would have already decided for a 360.

Nesh, it ultimately hinges on the games, features, and services that are important to you.

Most people on the fence wait for "THE game they MUST have" to make a choice if it is hard.

If you are truly confused, wait. Or do what I did: Outline your PERSONAL criteria for buying a console. When one, or more, meet those critieria go with it.

Asking fans what they think will only lead you to their conclusions. Most people here knew what they wanted before they even tried a game on any of the platforms.

Sh!t. Gaming is even more complicated than before

If it is the exclusives that bother you consider this:

PS3 in 2006/2007 = $600 for full monte.

So pace yourself...

A.) When Xbox 360 hits $300 buy the Xbox 360.
B.) When the PS3 hits $300 buy the PS3.

For the same $600 you get 2 consoles. Plus larger back libraries and better hardware.

If you need to get something "NOW!" (and assuming you can find a PS3) then you just have to admitt being a victim to early adoption. Early adopters pay more, for less, and with no guarantees.

So you can either

1. Get punked and get the consoles at full price now
2. Get one now and wait for the other to hit bargin bin
3. Play the PS2 like Pipo said and wait to see how things pan out until you can wait no longer
4. Play the PS2 and take a set aside $600 and get both when they each hit $300

What you do will depend on

1. How much disposable income you have
2. How important gaming is to you

I believe in long-term investment. I would not want to spend the money on two consoles over the next 6 to 7 years, so my choice is pretty limited to one. IMO, the Xbox360 and the PS3 are quite different in what they will offer: I see the PS3 as the successor to the PS2 and I have no doubt that the software I loved over the last 12 years on the PlayStation platform will continue over the next 7 years with the PlayStation 3. As a result, I can't really see it becoming a dissapointment. The Xbox360 has a lot potential - namely Gears of War which has grabed my attention. On the other hand, when I look back at the Xbox - there were a few games back then that grabed my interest, but there simply weren't enough. I suppose if you are more interested in the PC esque games (lots of support from ex PC developers or still PC dev houses), I would say Xbox360 is the console to get. If you are looking forward to the games that have kept you happy the last 12 years though - and I'm mainly thinking about the Japanese dev houses like the Final Fantasy games, the Gran Turismo series, Metal Gear Solid and the rest of the PlayStation franchises - PlayStation 3 would be the safe bet.

It's all a question about the games.

and I'm mainly thinking about the Japanese dev houses like the Final Fantasy games, the Gran Turismo series, Metal Gear Solid and the rest of the PlayStation franchises - PlayStation 3 would be the safe bet.
XB360 is definitely showing better diversity than I ever noticed on XB. The upcoming Japanese titles on XB360 are encouraging and could be indicative of things to come. PS3 is likely a safe bet for those titles, with FF, MGS, Level 5 etc., but XB360 may be able to satisfy in that department too.

I game on my 360 and PC. The 360 is becoming my primary game platform. The only thing I still consistently play on the PC is Tribes vengeance.
I've not played a single game on my PC since getting the 360 on launch. I suspect that will only change once PC game start getting achievments!

A few thoughts:

I'd echo what people have said about waiting for a game that you consider a must-have before buying a system. It wasn't until NBA 2K7 that there was a 360 title that I really wanted and couldn't experience as fully (or even more fully) on a platform I already had. I played Oblivion on my PC, for example and NCAA Football 2007 was more feature-complete on the XBOX.

However, waiting because your're worried about what exclusive titles may come in the future is effectively making every game for every one of these systems exclusive titles.

If at some point in the future you decide that you are missing out on the exclusives for another platform, pack up your system and accessories and trade it in. You'll take a serious hit on the trade-in, but you also will have benefited from the game experiences that you were able to enjoy by buying that system instead of waiting. It might be worth it.

My personal opinion is that the XBOX360 is the best choice at this time. Broad availability, lower price, and a wider selection of software.

I also can't really see, personally, any way that I could regret buying this system instead of waiting for a PS3 since I have been enjoying it since the middle of Oct. Are currently available+near future PS3 titles > currently available+near future 360 titles given the advantage the 360 has in current titles? And will PS3 not only close this gap but create a large enough one of their own that I will be kicking myself for not sacrificing the ability to play the games I am playing now for however long it would have taken for me to reasonably secure a PS3 and for this software gap to close? Not likely IMO.

I would be stupid not to get a 360. It has the AAA games out now (GOW, GRAW, Viva Pinata, R6: Vegas, Oblivion, Dead Rising), AAA games coming soon (Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Halo 2 maps), awesome online experience that is worth the $50 a year, more affordable than PS3, just as powerful as the PS3 to me, Live Arcade, and also you can start to find great deals such as EB Games (360 Prem, GRAW, replacement plan all for $400). I don't care about HD-DVD nor Blu Ray as I will wait until there is a clear format winner. The awesome PS3 exclusives I want (MGS4, FF13, GT4) are nowhere close to being released so I can afford wait until the PS3 price drops before getting one. As for Wii, I may snag one next year (the launch lineup is very lacking to me besides Zelda and maybe Wii sports).

When it comes down to it, it's all about the games. Right now and next year, the 360 has the best lineup. Can you really wait another year? I don't think I can. :LOL:

Edit: wanted to just say that PS2 gaming is awesome right now too!

You use the word awesome alot :)

But i guess you are right, if First Person Shooters is what you want the 360 will be the primary platform..I gave GOW a shot.... it looked so ugly on the Samsung screen, just a mess, clearly the screens faullt, but.. ouch. And then i picked up "the best FPS controller on any console" and got my ass handed to me a few times, then i put it down and walked away. If there were a Keyboard+Mouse option for a 360 i would be so tempted...

Of the titles you mention non interest me except Viva Pinata. On the PS3 i´m looking forward to RR7 (sure kill me) and Motorstorm. DMC and the other "awesome" titles will have to wait until they are close to completion. Xmas 2007 is where the real battle will be fought.

Since I live in Japan, for me "region free" games is a HUGE plus for the PS3. If I could only have 1 machine it would be the PS3.

I didn't want a US xbox360 because it would mean I could not play rented DVDs on it. And I thought there would be more region free games. But there are very few region free games. At least GOW is region free - though I haven't even managed to score a copy of that anywhere yet. If it's just an action game I don't mind playing the JP version. But for deep games I want an EN version.

Wii - also not Region free is a huge let down. But then it's cheap and small enough to own 2. Though I wonder what will happen if you have 2 Wii's and 2 sensor bars in very close proximity.

Good question. Never thought of that. Perhaps yuo can set different frequencies?There should be something like that in the settings right? Especially if you consider that sometimes you will use too wiimotes on one console for some 2-player fun ;)

Back