Need to buy a router

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
My brother's PC is the router at the moment.
He doesn't know how to configure his firewall and I complained to my mum about his attitude to this problem and my mum now wants to buy a router to fix the problem(I suggested router because it configures everything independently of a computer).

Anyway I don't want advice on what crap to do in order for him to know how to run his computer.

I want to know what router I should buy.
These are the things I must consider:
2 computers and 1 cable modem.

All 3 components must be connected to the router.
No computer should configure the router.
The router should automatically allow both our computers to use the Internet at the same time, the router needs a good firewall.
There should be absolutely NO configuration done on either computer in relation to the router.
Gaming should be lagless.

What router do you guys recommend?
I would like wireless but I would also like to know what drawbacks are there with wireless routers.
I would also like to know what extra equipment is required for wireless routers.

I'm an idiot when it comes to these things so please keep it simple for me.

Thanks but could you please be more specific.
I've already looked at several manufacturer sites and they confuse me with all their products.

Dersaidin said:
I have a Belkin, its ok... From what I've heard I think d-link would be better

You WILL have to configure the router at least once to be able to use it, though. Most routers are configured through the web interface of some kind, so if you want to keep it away from your bro, just change the router's own IP and don't pass it to him.

I have a D-Link 614+ which came out a long time ago. First thing I did was flashed the firmware, then changed the password, then configured it for 128-bit WEP. Other than that it's working in a separate room with the cable modem. There's no computer hooked up to it. If you flash the firmware you must do it with a ethernet cable and not wirelessly. The only way to do that is to hook it up to a computer.

I recommend educating yourself on how to configure a router. Sounds like Linksys is the way to go for you because hteir setup is as painless as possible from this past weekend.

K.I.L.E.R said:
What router do you guys recommend?
I would like wireless but I would also like to know what drawbacks are there with wireless routers.
I would also like to know what extra equipment is required for wireless routers.

I don't have a router, so I won't bother suggesting what brand to buy...

However, a wireless router doesn't really mean that you won't have cords connecting to it (it still has connections for regular ethernet). The point of a wireless router is obviously to use a wireless connection.. however, you would need to spend on wireless NICs.. which is a waste of money.. given that you are not using a laptop (most laptops come with one nowadays). Unless you plan to have a laptop in the future that has a wireless NIC, then there is almost no practical reason to have one.

If you're considering a wireless router regardless, go with one that supports the 802.11g standard and supports WPA2...

It also sounds like you may have been using crossover cables in the way you have described your current connection... you're gonna have to use non-crossover cables to connect between the computers and the router.

Wired routers are basically a commodity. Just get the cheapest router with a built in 10/100 4 port switch you can find. Setup is usually pretty close to plug and play, in fact with my ISP it is plug and play. I'm currently using a 4 port SMC router (it was $35 canadian), which I have been using for about 2 years now. I've hosted several lan parties using this router (and a couple 8 port switches) and I have never had any problems getting internet and LAN access to 10+ computers.

Wireless routers are so cheap nowadays it doesn't make sense to get a wired one. You don't have to use the WiFi capability of a wireless router if you don't want to, but since it's also a switch with fast ethernet I say why not?

NANOTEC said:
Wireless routers are so cheap nowadays it doesn't make sense to get a wired one. You don't have to use the WiFi capability of a wireless router if you don't want to, but since it's also a switch with fast ethernet I say why not?

I guess.. though you would need to disable the wireless capability immediately (since there's a good chance someone will take advantage of an unsecured wireless connection).

The other useful thing that routers have is that VPN ability.. that's assuming you know you will want to use it.

_xxx_ said:
You WILL have to configure the router at least once to be able to use it, though. Most routers are configured through the web interface of some kind, so if you want to keep it away from your bro, just change the router's own IP and don't pass it to him.
No need to change the IP. Just change the admin password on the router.

Anyway, a good firewall isn't actually all that important once you have a router, for the simple reason that it's hard to get past a router to a PC if the PC hasn't first established a connection to the remote computer.

Chalnoth said:
Anyway, a good firewall isn't actually all that important once you have a router, for the simple reason that it's hard to get past a router to a PC if the PC hasn't first established a connection to the remote computer.

Butting in on the thread, but does this statement apply to any router in existance? I've recently aquired a Safecom router and can enable a hardware firewall via a firmware flash/update if need be, but I don't have the confidence to drop my software firewall (McAfee) until I'm sure the router will do the same job or better...

Thanks.

Well, personally, I won't get rid of a software firewall even with a good router with a firewall. This is for the simple reason that a software firewall works both ways: it can prevent software on my PC from accessing the Internet without my approval. Far too many companies piss me off with their frequent attempts to install software in my PC which decides to talk to the "home office" every time I load the software.

But yeah, once you have most any router, it should protect you from most attempts at external hacking. That said, I would still recommend keeping the firmware on the router up to date.

Thanks.
I think I'll do that.
Does a cheap router also automatically assign bandwidth as well?
My brother downloads huge files while I play games, currently it isn't an issue but I want to know if it would be one with a router.

Freak'n Big Panda said:
Wired routers are basically a commodity. Just get the cheapest router with a built in 10/100 4 port switch you can find. Setup is usually pretty close to plug and play, in fact with my ISP it is plug and play. I'm currently using a 4 port SMC router (it was $35 canadian), which I have been using for about 2 years now. I've hosted several lan parties using this router (and a couple 8 port switches) and I have never had any problems getting internet and LAN access to 10+ computers.

Chalnoth said:
No need to change the IP. Just change the admin password on the router.

Ooops, forgot that :oops:

But don't forget all the stuff which phones home, be it malware you can get through IE or whatever bloated shitty program.

Back