Anyone used a loadcell brake pedal ?

Davros

Legend
I've been meaning to upgrade my forcefeedback wheel to a direct drive for some time now except the one I wanted was like gold dust you couldn't buy one anywhere well last night Fanatec finally had some stock so i pulled the trigger because if i didnt god knows when they'd have stock again. Anyway this means I will also need some pedals. Everyone seems to recommend a loadcell brake which measures force applied not position of the pedal the problem is they seem to be 60kg of force to fully activate at a minimum and seeing as I will be playing on carpet and not with the pedals bolted to a cockpit I'm worried that what will happed is i press the brake and all that happens is my chair moves backwards or my pedals get pushed forwards so has anyone used a loadcell on carpet ?

ps: Rant Time :
Do you play racing games with a controller? If you do you are missing out on so much for gods sake get yourself a forcefeedback wheel (not a rumble wheel) doesnt have to be a fancy one, a budget logitech or thustmaster will be absolutely fine
and they dont even cost as much as a graphics card and should last well over a decade I got my G25 in 2008 thats 14 years ago and it's still going strong 1 button on the wheel has stopped working and the pot on the brake pedal was a bit spikey so i swapped it with the clutch pedal not bad going for what is a budget offering. you dont need a high end direct drive wheel but if you do they are less than 2 high end graphics cards and will last you a whole lot longer.

Missing from the rant: not all racing games are fun / felt good to play with steering wheel.

I'm basically locked to gran turismo, and dirt.

Sorry if this is a bit late.
I use some older Fanatec pedals with a load cell brake fitted. Mounted them to a wooden platform I made to raise them off the floor a little (about 2 inches) just because it made my driving position more comfortable. I stop this from moving about by placing the box they came in behind the platform against the wall. It's a cheap but reliable solution for me (been using them like this for a couple of years).
If your chair has office chair type wheels and you find it moves about too much you can replace the wheels with "glides" which will help keep the chair still. Look for "office chair glides" on Amazon.

A load cell brake is a big upgrade from a regular pot version, you might need a while to get used to them but once you do you won't want to go back.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the reply
The brake is actually a hall sensor but i get your point.
ps: evn though the load cell does indeed require 60kg of force to fully activate I dont need to press down with 60kg of force because the pedals act as a lever - big shout out to a certain mr Newton for reminding me of that fact....
pps: dont really want to replace the castors on my chair ive head putting them inside an old pair of training shoes does the job

So I got the pedals without the load cell and they do move when I fully depress the brake, what I've had to do is move the pedals real close to me so I'm pressing down more than pressing forward.
I think I will have to buy a large piece of mdf or similar and mount them to that.
Also Ive had to turn the forces right down as they kept shaking the headphones off my head - bloody ridiculous 😜

I just got the load-cell pedal yesterday and I thought it was very stiff with little travel. So I took the foam bit from the non-load cell brake pedal and replaced one of the rubber ones on the load cell brake with the foam bit. The foam bit has a hole through it that fits on the load-cell pin. Got a bit more travel and better feel i think👍🏻😊

I dont suppose you use the csl usb adapter do you ?
compatibility with older games is poor both accelerator and brake act like they are pressed 50% and im wondering if the usb adaptor fixes that problem

Back