need a new printer

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Well im looking at replacing my home printer.

-I dont print often.
-would like a laser printer
-color printing (a must)
-cheap replacement cartriges
-ethernet connection.

could someone recommend a good printer. Thanks much.

epic

I didn’t know that ‘cheap' and ‘color laser’ could be combined in any sentence while describing a printer. :LOL:

If inexpensive is what you want then ink jets are the way to go. Personally I would avoid Canon Printers. If used infrequently, the print heads clog (irreparably). I have had better luck with Epson printers. I purchased a Cx4600 last week. Cheap, decent output,smudge proof inks, scans and copies (color and b/w). Not bad for $175 Can.

-color printing (a must)
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Sorry, but "laser printer" & "cheap replacement cartridges" together in the same post is enough to slay me....add "color" and it gets the rolling smileys! :LOL:

There ain't no such printer, get a decent deskjet. I got an HP932c that I love that gives me photo quality and great day to day usage, and the cartridges aren't too expensive and last a long time.

I've always had good experiences with HP printers. :)

You say you don't print often....when you do print...what is it?

Lots of text pages in a batch? Color is required...but isphoto quality important? Or just "decent" photo quality, plus color documents?

As nelg said, "cheap" and "color laser" are not exactly friendly to one another. I second the color ink jet route.

Along with "cheap" to buy, goes "cheap to maintain." (consumables / ink).

Canon printers are the cheapest as far as ink goes. But as Nelg said, if the print heads get clogged, you may end up effectively having to get a new printer. Clogged heads may be an issue for you if you don't "print often". (The longer it's just sitting there, the more chance of a clog, AFAIK).

On the other end of the ink cost perspective is HP. However, the HP ink cartidges contain the heads...so that is never a worry. (You get new print heads every time you get a new ink cartidge.)

In the middle is Epson...which I think you can replace the heads yourself if they get irreparably clogged.

If you don't print "often", (so ink cost isn't THAT much of an issue), then I would consider HP and Epson. The specific model and brand will probably depend on what you do print, when you print. (Do you need 6 color ink, etc.)

epicstruggle said:
Well im looking at replacing my home printer.

-I dont print often.
-color printing (a must)
-ethernet connection.

could someone recommend a good printer. Thanks much.

epic

:D

LOL

Hey, I'd like the same thing. I can't believe that color lasers are still that expensive after all these years. I'll check that Samsung out.

PatrickL said:
According to one of the reviewers they are not real cartridges but lower ones with only 1/3 ink.

Consumables Black Toner CLP-500D7K/XAA
Cyan Toner CLP-500D5C/XAA
Magenta Toner CLP-500D5M/XAA
Yellow Toner CLP-500D5Y/XAA
Toner Yield (Mono, Color) 7,000 pages, 5,000 pages (at 5% coverage). These units ship with full toner cartridges.
From Samsung's website

Pete said:
Canon inkjets do have replaceable heads, unlike Epson.
Maybe its just my bad luck but the last three Canon Ink Jets I had needed the heads replaced after sitting for more than four weeks. I found it was cheaper (keep in mind that you must also replace in ink cartridges) to buy a new printer. My old Epson Stylus Color Pro just died two weeks ago. It was about six years old, had gone through many periods of inactivity (>4 weeks) and never had a clogged head that could not be cleaned.

HP has a colour LaserJet for ~$650

That's pretty cheap, considering the LaserJet 4 sitting on my desk cost CDN$2000 eleven years ago.

Back