Narnia

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Just got back from seeing the movie. Must say that i was truely happy with their adaptation. Anyone else get a chance to see it?

epic

I thought it was a good movie, I agree with the general concensus that's it's LOTR-lite.

A lot of action for a movie rated PG though.

My roommate likes to brag about all the Christian references in there though. I myself am not too familiar enough to realize the deeper ones, but the "son of Adam" and "daughter of eve" were dead giveaways.

bouy said:
I thought it was a good movie, I agree with the general concensus that's it's LOTR-lite.
Yep, good movie. And a very light version of LOTR.
A lot of action for a movie rated PG though.
Suprised me too.
My roommate likes to brag about all the Christian references in there though. I myself am not too familiar enough to realize the deeper ones, but the "son of Adam" and "daughter of eve" were dead giveaways.
Now that im older i see the Christian references, although as a kid i did not. Didnt bother me, the movie was a pleasure to see and religion references dont scare/bother me.

epic

K.I.L.E.R said:
Why did they stick religion into it?
Err... C.S. Lewis was highly religious. The whole series is full of (some would say founded on) more or less veiled biblical symbolism.

C.S. Lewis said:
I did not say to myself 'Let us represent Jesus as He really is in our world by a Lion in Narnia'; I said, 'Let us suppose that there were a land like Narnia and that the Son of God, as he became a Man in our world, became a Lion there, and then imagine what would happen.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Zap, it's been over a decade since I read the book so I thought they religousised the movie.

bouy said:
Why would those be "Christian" references? Surely that's from the old testament and hence pre-dates Christianity?

Besides, since "Aslan" is a middle-eastern word for lion (well definitely in Turkish), could you not say that it's also Muslim influenced?

Ingenu said:
Kiddies saving the world... I think I can't stand that anymore...
I haven't seen the movie but, IIRC, in the books, as they enter Narnia, they age rapidly and become adults. So, are they "kiddies saving the world"?

nice to see yet more NZ on the big screen :)

Personally I couldn't understand the fuss made about the movie being religious. Even the whole 'son of adam', 'daughter of eve' bit didn't actually click with me, let alone someone yonger than me. Honestly don't know why people get so worked up about these things...

That said the movie it'self I found a tad underwhelming. Having not read the book, I guess I expected more, for a nearly 3 hour movie very little actually happened...

Zaphod said:
Err... C.S. Lewis was highly religious. The whole series is full of (some would say founded on) more or less veiled biblical symbolism.

I thought I read that he was an atheist?

linthat22 said:
Surely told to you by an atheist. ;)

CS Lewis was a self professed agnostic after he fought in WW1 and suffered some close personal losses. He re-found his religion prior to writing the book.

As for the movie references:
"Son of Adam", and "Daughter of Eve" hardly make the story a Christian parable; it simply sets them in a Judeo-CHristian universe. Quite frankly, they must have cut a lot out of the book, or there's more obvious allegories in the other 6 books, as the only references I saw was the sacrifice and ressurrection of Aslan (which was pretty blatant). The rest of the movie had no real parallel in the gospels, as far as I could see.

You MIGHT try to point to the last battle as Armegeddon, and the resurrection of Alsan as the second coming, but that's stretching it quite a bit. Edmund doesn't make a very good Judas. The oldest child was named Peter, but Susan, Lucy, and Edmund aren't biblically relevant names. The white witch? Talking beavers? The wardrobe? I just don't see any connections with the Christian mythos.

Oh, one reference might have been the footsteps in the sand (if you're familiar with silly poem http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~wonj/me/ftstps.html ) but that's certainly not enough to make the parable.

In any fashion, if you're afraid of Christian allegories, don't let this movie scare you. It's not the passion play with talking animals.

Simon F said:
I haven't seen the movie but, IIRC, in the books, as they enter Narnia, they age rapidly and become adults. So, are they "kiddies saving the world"?

[SPOILER WARNING]
Talking about the movie, as I have not read the books, they are kids, they fight the ice sorceress (or whatever name she has) and Aslan kills her in a battle, at the end of the movie they all become kings & queens, and are still kids.

linthat22 said:
Nope. Angelican. (Well, he did write about reconnecting with his faith in adulthood (30ish), but that shouldn't necessarily mean that he at some point was an atheist?) He did much explicit religious writing, and after the death of his wife some more introspective things basically questioning 'the goodness of God' (maintaining faith in the wake of personal loss and all that). Many of the biblical ‘allegories’ (I believe he called it an imagined parallel or somesuch himself – see quote above) in the Narnia books are blatantly obvious (at least in a literary sense as he was not a fundamentalist). They even have a proper Armageddon with the righteous (girls interrested in nylons and lipstick need not apply) going to paradise in the end…

Edit: I really have to start refreshing threads before replying to them...

Back