NA Playstation Hardware News

IMHO, that keyboard is hideous and not very ergonomic. It's a lot easier to use your thumbs with that kind of small keyboard. So being at the top makes you have to stretch your fingers or change your grip. The only reason I can think why they did this is because there might have been some kind of patent design conflict with Microsoft or others.

Anyway, here are some pics for those that don't want to stray from here...

keypad.jpg
2781722342_c342129cd5.jpg

Tommy McClain

The only reason I can think why they did this is because there might have been some kind of patent design conflict with Microsoft or others.

The handles may be too short or shallow to hold if they attach the pad below. Need to hold it in my hands to see whether it feels right.

The handles may be too short or shallow to hold if they attach the pad below. Need to hold it in my hands to see whether it feels right.

Yeah, I at least wrap my fingers further around the DS3's handles more than I do the 360's controller. And I'm not one of those who feels the DS is too small.

I'm a little worried about the keyboards ergonomics, looks like you wont be able to type very fast at any rate. If it does end up working well though I'll probably pick one up. I could use a keyboard for my ps3.

IMHO, that keyboard is hideous and not very ergonomic. It's a lot easier to use your thumbs with that kind of small keyboard. So being at the top makes you have to stretch your fingers or change your grip. The only reason I can think why they did this is because there might have been some kind of patent design conflict with Microsoft or others.
My guess is that it's because the USB port is on the top of the controller. The X360 controller has a I/O port on the bottom that's used for headsets and keyboards and such.

I think if I really want to type on the thing, I'll just spring for a Bluetooth keyboard and be done with it. I don't think they're that expensive, are they?

As for the 160GB PS3... They're behind the curve on that one, I've had a 160GB drive in my system for six months or so. :)

My guess is that it's because the USB port is on the top of the controller. The X360 controller has a I/O port on the bottom that's used for headsets and keyboards and such.

You would have a point if it used the USB port, but everything says it's Bluetooth wireless. So there wouldn't be a need for the connection. Unless it uses it to charge...

I think if I really want to type on the thing, I'll just spring for a Bluetooth keyboard and be done with it. I don't think they're that expensive, are they?

Never liked the idea of carrying a large keyboard into the living and it using it from the couch. I'll take the Messenger Kit keyboard anyday.

Tommy McClain

I'm curious as to what its power source is. Does it have its own battery or does it indeed plug into the six axis/ds3's usb port for juice? The press mentions plugging it into the PS3 via USB to pair it for the first time, just like you do with a controller. If you have to recharge over USB the same way as a controller, that could be a hassle.

I'm curious as to what its power source is. Does it have its own battery or does it indeed plug into the six axis/ds3's usb port for juice? The press mentions plugging it into the PS3 via USB to pair it for the first time, just like you do with a controller. If you have to recharge over USB the same way as a controller, that could be a hassle.

What I read said it had an internal lithium battery...

The Wireless Keypad is powered by built-in, rechargeable lithium-ion battery with 610mAh capacity.

http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Announces+160GB+PS3+Bundle+Wireless+Keypad+Accessory/article12725.htm

Nice thing about the 360 keyboard is that it's low power enough it can run off the controller battery. Don't see a need for it to be wireless if it's already attached to a wireless controller. But I agree if it doesn't use the controller to recharge, but instead requires to be connected via a USB cable, then that's just not a hassle, but insane.

Tommy McClain

What I read said it had an internal lithium battery...

http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Announces+160GB+PS3+Bundle+Wireless+Keypad+Accessory/article12725.htm

Nice thing about the 360 keyboard is that it's low power enough it can run off the controller battery. Don't see a need for it to be wireless if it's already attached to a wireless controller. But I agree if it doesn't use the controller to recharge, but instead requires to be connected via a USB cable, then that's just not a hassle, but insane.

Tommy McClain

The keyboard can be used by a friend while you game, you can pickup the keyboard without the controller if you want to write to someone. You can most likely browse the web just using the keyboard by itself. You can charge it or the controller seperately.

There is plenty of reasons for it to be standalone.

PSP-3000 set for October

Domestically, the PSP-3000 will be released in three colors: Piano Black (PSP-3000 PB), Pearl White (PSP-3000 PW) and Mystic Silver (PSP-3000 MS). The system will come bundled with an AC adapter and 1200mAh battery pack.

LINK

I like the built in mic. That would be very useful for Skype.
A nicer screen is also welcome. If it has better battery performance than the 2000, that could clinch the decision for me.

I kind of feel like this is a wasted sku. Its good for new comers but how about those with a psp 2000 whats the real reason to spend another $200 bucks
There isn't really. It's clearly not a move to resell PSP's to existing owner, but to increase the value and attract new buyers.. If the refresh on the screenis much improved though, it'd be a worthwhile upgrade IMO, at least for those who extensively use their PSP.

Never liked the idea of carrying a large keyboard into the living and it using it from the couch. I'll take the Messenger Kit keyboard anyday.

For me, a full-sized keyboard is the fastest and most natural way to navigate XMB (More so than even the controller because I only need one hand/finger). The large arrow keys are very handy. It also ties seamlessly with data entry. It is the first peripheral I reach for when I start my PS3 (check messages, friends list, browse PS Store, and then start game or DLNA songs).

I also find that I usually need to type fast in a game. Nothing beats it yet. :)

The only problem is some keys are not mapped (e.g., during firmware upgrade). F1 maps to triangle in XMB, but in a few screens, pressing <RETURN> does nothing. You have to press X on the controller to continue.

I paid $20 for a simple, black one even though I have 3 extra (but ugly !) keyboards somewhere. The Logitech keyboard looks really nice (with a trackpad too !). When they have enough trackpad applications, I might get that someday.

There isn't really. It's clearly not a move to resell PSP's to existing owner, but to increase the value and attract new buyers.. If the refresh on the screenis much improved though, it'd be a worthwhile upgrade IMO, at least for those who extensively use their PSP.

Yeah... I think PSP-3000 helps sell PSP-2000 too.

Last week, I got an IM from my ex-CEO (in his late 40s), asking me whether he should get PSP-2000 right then. Apparently, the rumor/news of PSP-3000 blocking security holes has travelled widely. He ended up with a PSP-2000 that afternoon. He's in China and used it for portable movie viewing.

For me, a full-sized keyboard is the fastest and most natural way to navigate XMB (More so than even the controller because I only need one hand/finger). The large arrow keys are very handy. It also ties seamlessly with data entry. It is the first peripheral I reach for when I start my PS3 (check messages and then start game or DLNA songs).

I also find that I usually need to type fast in a game. Nothing beats it yet. :)

The only problem is some keys are not mapped (e.g., during firmware upgrade). F1 maps to triangle in XMB, but in a few screens, pressing <RETURN> does nothing. You have to press X on the controller to continue.

I paid $20 for a simple, black one even though I have 3 extra (but ugly !) keyboards somewhere. The Logitech keyboard looks really nice (with a trackpad too !). When they have enough trackpad applications, I might get that someday.

Doesn't your PS3 using/playing take place in an office space? That makes the full sized keyboard rather feasible.

In the living room...not so much. I have a tendency to leave things sitting around when I'm done with them. The ol ball and chain doesn't like that trait of mine. Full size keyboard in the living room isn't really an option.

I'm still rather curious to see the ease of use of the controller keyboard. I'd like to be able to try it, before I buy it, but I know none of my local friends will have/get it.

Doesn't your PS3 using/playing take place in an office space? That makes the full sized keyboard rather feasible.

In the living room...not so much. I have a tendency to leave things sitting around when I'm done with them. The ol ball and chain doesn't like that trait of mine. Full size keyboard in the living room isn't really an option.

I'm still rather curious to see the ease of use of the controller keyboard. I'd like to be able to try it, before I buy it, but I know none of my local friends will have/get it.

Yes, but I am thinking of getting a second PS3 *and* a wireless keyboard for my home, preferrably a white one. If not, a black one is good too. I have already set up a second DLNA server at home (but my office one died at about the same time, damn it).

If it's done nicely, it should be fine (Leave it on the side coffee table in my living room, or slide under the console top). I will need it for Playstation Home and R2 at least. I have a feeling it will get used more often when Sony continues to roll out non-games (e.g. Life with Playstation, [strike]Google[/strike] recipe search).

My wife will make noise if she sees the controller + keyboard attachment, or the full-sized keyboard (because they are all "too much/ugly", even the 360 one). Either way, I'll get an earful... but if it's useful and functional, she'll learn to use it over time. She'd have more difficulty with the small attachment though.

Back