My trip to the Stelvio Pass

Yeah I hate you as well. One of my dreams is to hit up that road as well. Just gorgeous and incidentally one of my fave TG episodes as well.

Now if I could only ship my Senna over.

It would be more fun IMO if more of the corners were banked appropriately.
What? Turn it into the equivalent one of those dull US-style race tracks? No, it would be more fun if they were banked inappropriately.:devilish:

It would be more fun IMO if more of the corners were banked appropriately.

Given that these corners are accute to about 10 degrees and the banking would have to be proportional, the bank would simply be walls :LOL:

Anything less, and you're just make ramps to launch people off the side of the mountain :oops:

What? Turn it into the equivalent one of those dull US-style race tracks? No, it would be more fun if they were banked inappropriately.:devilish:

I was actually thinking of the numerous roads all through the states that are banked not race tracks. And I did not mean hugely steep banks that make a person pass out, just more than they are from the pictures. Its fun to drive around such corners IMO.

I agree, the east-side of Stelvio is pretty extreme with the tight hair-pins. It's not the kind of road you'd be rushing down, that is clear. For that, the west-side (2nd and 3rd picture in the 2nd post) are much better suited, at least for with my car.

It's all relative to the car you drive. My friend with a Caterham Super7 loves tight hair pins. With just 500kg weight and practically no bodyroll at all, he can take them at relatively high speed without much effort. Naturally, the heavier the car, the less tight you would want your corners to be.

BTW: Here are some pictures from the Grimselpass in Switzerland from a tour I did last year that has some very nice roads and 3 storage lakes:

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

img.php

Then this last one, is on top of the Furkapass, which is very close to the end of the Grimsel and is another stretch of fantastic road:

img.php

Back