Bethesda sunsets the Bethesda Launcher and migrates to Steam [2022-02-22]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
https://bethesda.net/en/article/2RX...-bethesda-net-launcher-and-migrating-to-steam

We’re saying goodbye to the Bethesda.net Launcher this year. Starting in early April you’ll be able to migrate your games and Wallet to your Steam account. For more details on what this process will look like, read on.

We’re saying goodbye to the Bethesda.net Launcher this year. We would like to thank you for your support and assure you that all of your games are safe. If you’re not playing PC games through the Bethesda.net launcher then your work is done here. Thanks for reading! If you do have games through the Bethesda.net launcher, don’t worry. Starting in early April you’ll be able to migrate your games and Wallet to your Steam account. For more details on what this process will look like, read on.

You have plenty of time to plan and begin migrating your Bethesda.net library to your Steam account. The migration to Steam will include your game library and Wallet – meaning you will not lose anything from your Bethesda.net account. Many games will also have their saves migrated, with a few requiring some manual transfers. For games that require it, you will still use your Bethesda.net login to sign in to play. Your Bethesda.net account will not be lost and will still be accessible on our website and in-game, and we will continue supporting all Bethesda.net accounts with our future titles.

I think this decision was a given as soon as they were bought by MS. Made no sense to continue any plans for their own launcher.

Yup, pretty much expected with how much MS has embraced Steam. I'm also glad that they aren't replacing it with their own launcher. Although, it wouldn't necessarily be bad to have an ultra-lightweight launcher (like Warframe) that could download updates to the game without having to have the full application open (like FS2020) if whatever costs associated with large, repeated downloads on Steam are greater than MS wants to pay.

I'm also glad that all the accounts are migrated to Steam and not the Microsoft Store. That's likely an understanding by MS that most people prefer Steam and are less likely to have a fit if their account is moved to Steam than if their account is moved to the Microsoft Store. This, of course, assumes that there are actually people using the Bethesda launcher that weren't using the launcher through Steam in the first place. :p

Fully expecting MS to do the same thing if the Activision-Blizzard acquisition goes through.

Regards,
SB

Yup, pretty much expected with how much MS has embraced Steam. I'm also glad that they aren't replacing it with their own launcher. Although, it wouldn't necessarily be bad to have an ultra-lightweight launcher (like Warframe) that could download updates to the game without having to have the full application open (like FS2020) if whatever costs associated with large, repeated downloads on Steam are greater than MS wants to pay.

I'm also glad that all the accounts are migrated to Steam and not the Microsoft Store. That's likely an understanding by MS that most people prefer Steam and are less likely to have a fit if their account is moved to Steam than if their account is moved to the Microsoft Store. This, of course, assumes that there are actually people using the Bethesda launcher that weren't using the launcher through Steam in the first place. :p

Fully expecting MS to do the same thing if the Activision-Blizzard acquisition goes through.

Regards,
SB
Yeah, that's what I was wondering/asking about at one point.. if they'd do that with Bnet, and sunset it after moving everything over to Steam/Xbox App. There's no way MS doesn't want Diablo, World of Warcraft, CoD, and all the others on Steam.

I bought all my Fallout and Elder Scrolls games through Steam and they all launch from Steam so I'm guessing this is why I have no idea what it is.

Back