My thoughts on the E3 presentations

Goragoth

Regular
I just got around to watching the full presentations by the big three console makers a couple of days ago (bandwidth caps suck). So I thought I would rank them and share my thoughts on them. These are going to be no doubt controversial but here we go (as seen by my gamer side and not my drool-at-the-technology side):

1) Nintendo: Best presentation of all. These guys look like they are gamers and really care about games. It sounds like they want to make great games because they are going to be playing them and they are going to make the hardware to suit that need. My biggest gripe was the long reciting of numbers to prove that they are still relevant, it all sounded a bit like "Look we are here too and we aren't going to fold to giants Sony and MS", other than that it was outstanding.

2) Microsoft: Trying a little too hard to appear cool, probably trying to get away from their image of a boring OS and Office software company. I didn't mind it too much but it felt a little forced at times. Overall it looked like they did their homework and really tried to make a great console for the gamer with XB360. They had a good showing of games and overall I got the feeling they are trying really hard to compete in the game console space.

3) Sony: Tech demos, CGI and plenty of talk about technology and cinematic graphics. You would think they were talking at a Hollywood VFX convention or something. Sure the stuff was impressive but they showed very little in the way of games and hardly talked about games at all. I don't want to play interactive movies thank-you-very-much. I want a console to give me great games. Movies and games are really different media and I don't want my games to play like movies just as little as I want my movies to be like games. The only trailer showing a game that I would actually want to play was the Heavenly Sword one, that looked fun even if it did at parts try to be a little too cinematic. Everything else either looked too much like a movie or was just another FPS. Overall I liked the presentation for its great show of technology and yummy CGI but for a company with such a succesful history in the game console space it didn't look like they had much of a clue who their customers (gamers) are. Of course they will do well with the PS3 regardless since the majority of people are easily mesmerized by "the purty grafix".

Disclaimer: I recently downloaded a bunch of SNES and N64 roms that I've been playing (I've never owned a console in my life, I'll probably overcompensate this next round by buying all 3) so I might be under the influence of Nintendo games (mmm magic mushrooms) while writing this ;) [/i]

I don't see why people are complaining about the PS3's pre-rendered scenes, at least they showed something. The PS3's launch is still so far off....do you expect a game to pop out of the sky? As far as the Cinematics go....your a smart guy, you should be able to pick apart whats in game and whats not (theres some Sony should have outright said it was a pre-rendered scene..but I could really care less, I decide to buy into the hype when I buy the system). I think people are really trying to compare Sony to Microsoft even though the PS3 is around a year away!

J.Allard says it best Developers do not develop for E3

Goragoth said:
I just got around to watching the full presentations by the big three console makers a couple of days ago (bandwidth caps suck). So I thought I would rank them and share my thoughts on them. These are going to be no doubt controversial but here we go (as seen by my gamer side and not my drool-at-the-technology side):

1) Nintendo: Best presentation of all.

I stopped reading here.

It's, indeed, controversial. :D

:LOL: same here. Actually Nintendo Press Conference was the worst press conference I've ever seen in my life. Quite the opposite of the last year one which was really exciting with all those unvealings of NDS and Zelda (the room litterally exploded when Miyamoto showed up on stage dressed like Link).

Yeah, I too thought Nintendo conference was pretty terrible. Don't see what was there to like, but whatever floats your boat :? Their last year conference was so much more energetic and amusing to watch.
The other two appeared a lot better organized and more professional, even though MS people really looked fake trying to be cool.

Also, for Sony, you have to understand that they know that pretty much all relevant games will be on their console, so there's no reason to talk too much about it at this point. If you want to see what to expect in regards to games diversity and support, just look at PS2. It speaks better than any conference can. On the other hand they needed a technology show-off for early hype, and they delivered big time on that.

TTP said:
Quite the opposite of the last year one which was really exciting with all those unvealings of NDS and Zelda (the room litterally exploded when Miyamoto showed up on stage dressed like Link).
Hmm, I've only been watching the console space for a month or two now, I have no idea what last year was like.

marconelly! said:
The other two appeared a lot better organized and more professional, even though MS people really looked fake trying to be cool.
Overall I think the MS conference was probably the best organized of the bunch but I guess I'm more talking about the vibe I got from each conference:
1) Nintendo: About the games.
2) MS: About the gamer.
3) Sony: Dunno, sounds to me like they were all over cinematic graphics and showing their new tech. Fine but as a gamer I expect a console maker to you know, talk about games. The conference was certainly professional and well done but the way it sounds their idea of making good games is to make them more like movies and that worries me. In the end its all up to the developers of course but I just didn't like the vibe. This isn't really just a Sony criticism, many in the industry seem to think that emulating movies is a good idea, personally I think that it is a terrible idea. Not that games can't learn a thing or two from movies, but they shouldn't try to become movies. Actually I guess there is a place for cinematic games, its just not something that can get me at all excited.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I liked the Nintendo vibe the most, talking about games, I'm not rating them on their presentation style or whatever.

If sony is launching in march in either usa or japan then this was thier e3 to show off the ps3 .

Ms is launching in 2005 so this was thier e3 to show off the x360

Nintendo most likely has another e3 to look foward to before the release the ns5 . So i wasn't really expecting much . I was hoping for more gc games and nds games

How you interpret each is largely dependant on your interests and what you expected. Many of us here are rabid hardcore gamers who want cutting edge technology, but others are not. It all depends what you are expecting and looking forward to. One could totally dismiss Sony's conference because it was not about games; on the other hand one could praise Sony for their professionalism and vision. You could do the balance on each, and depending on what you want it will come out differently.

If sony is launching in march in either usa or japan then this was thier e3 to show off the ps3 .

Did you forget that TGS does kind of matters. It is the second biggest videogame show you know. And how says that Sony won't ship their console at the end of May. That is still Spring right?

Acert93 said:
How you interpret each is largely dependant on your interests and what you expected.
Right, to be fair I should have had at least three rankings 8)
The one I provided plus:

Best presentation organization/best show:
1) Microsoft - I guess either you like it or you don't but I think they did a good job overall, it was fun to watch. They put on a good show.
2 tied) I can't really decide between Sony and Nintendo for second and third, they were really different. Sony was more professional and bigger but Nintendo's was funnier and I thought overall pretty well presented (except for their desperate cries of relevancy that I mentioned earlier).

Best tech, most drooling:
1) Sony by far: Some very cool tech demos and some really nice CGI. See what they did with Spiderman coming down into the city and the GT cars going by? How cool was that? A nice combination of drool-worthy stuff combined with some juicy details into the tech that drives it. Nice.
2) Microsoft: Gears of War is looking nice and I thought the Lost Odyssey preview trailer looked really neat too. A pity the part with Gates and Ballmer wasn't shown in the IGN videos.
3) Nintendo: Nothing new tech wise really. The micro gameboy is neat but really doesn't do anything new, its just smaller. Nothing juicy on the Revolution other than the backwards compatibility. In the way of graphics there really wasn't anything impressive at all, certainly not against what MS and Sony had to show.

Conclusion: I'll probably be buying all 3 next-gen systems as they all have something to offer. I'll also probably pick up a DS at some stage and I'm saving up for a projector to play those awesome next-gen games on a really big screen. Mmm.... games! :D

Goragoth said:
3) Sony: Dunno, sounds to me like they were all over cinematic graphics and showing their new tech. Fine but as a gamer I expect a console maker to you know, talk about games.
Sony aren't a games company. They're a tech company. When it comes to talking about the exciting games you need to see the game developers. The presentation, from my perspective, was more to wow people (devs) with the technology and excite them with ideas for games they would create, and not to excite consumers with expectations for games on PS3.

This is why Sony presentations are full of Powerpoint slideshows and metrics/statistics. They're not content creation guys but engineers. For me, the Ducky demo wasn't a great game, but it showed the existence of technology that could produce fun and different entertainments.

Itls just like one of the guys said, Sony cares about the gamer. PS2 speaks for itself, and look at technologies made for the GAMER on mind. Or does not GRAPHICS not appeal now.

I think it will be a wilder ride this time around, and I cant wait. I wonder about Nintendo though, the wait to see a pic of the first Revolution title will be prevalent in everyone's minds in the coming months.

I watched the MS E3 conference online, but there were a few parts that were blocked. It said something about proprietary information(I think). Does anyone know this is was? Is it something under NDA?

Knoel said:
I watched the MS E3 conference online, but there were a few parts that were blocked. It said something about proprietary information(I think). Does anyone know this is was? Is it something under NDA?
it was bill gates and balmer dressed as jedis online for sw. They were talking about other things that they didn't want the normal people to know

You actually dont know if the movies were CGI. Honestly I dont think none of the vids were since the dev's have te dev kits and making CGI movies would be a waste of time and resource. the killzone trailer had 2 popups, so did the F1 vid. And let me also mention how none of the game demo vids had motion blur in them. Motion blur is very common with CGI movies since they run 24fps

cobragt said:
You actually dont know if the movies were CGI. Honestly I dont think none of the vids were since the dev's have te dev kits and making CGI movies would be a waste of time and resource. the killzone trailer had 2 popups, so did the F1 vid. And let me also mention how none of the game demo vids had motion blur in them. Motion blur is very common with CGI movies since they run 24fps

holy crap-cobra, what are you doing here.

Avon_Implosion said:
cobragt said:

I get around :)

cobragt said:
Avon_Implosion said:
cobragt said:

I get around :)
no need to think you've got a stalker on your hands-its nova14 from SW...good to experience something so vastly different from all of the flamewars and noob stampedes going on over there..
anyway, back to the topic.

Back