My dad turns 75 this month, please help me buy a birthday present.

A strong, violent massage where a big fat man hits you repeatedly with the edges of his hands and does whatever atrocities

A wine bottle from 1963, for the fun of it rather than for the taste.

Take the nicest picture you have of you, your wife and kids (mom if she is still alive) and a nice frame.
Make it pretty big, my family offered my gran father a couples years ago a big Tv (by his standards) and he was really pleased as in fact no matter the glasses he wore, he had a hard time watching a tinier TV.
Old people don't want to acknowledge that kind of issue (on average), there may be around your dad house a lot of pictures he may not see properly.

How about movies/series?

Would he enjoy a DVD/BluRay box with i.e. all seasons of Band of Brothers or The Pacific?

Chrissakes Davros, who in their right mind listens to music that was popular around the time they were born...? :LOL: Nobody!

Chrissakes Davros, who in their right mind listens to music that was popular around the time they were born...? :LOL: Nobody!

I still listen to the Beatles quite a bit. And I love 70s music (except disco <g>), prefer it quite a bit over anything from the 80s forward.

I love 70's music too
woodstock to punk - 7 years. The amount of innovation that happened between those 2 events is simply staggering.

We are talking about wine
Oh well excuse me then! :D Please, carry on as you were...

I still listen to the Beatles quite a bit.
Well, maybe I should have said I meant someone of my father's generation. You don't find very many timeless beatles-like pop musicians of the 30s after all...

And I love 70s music (except disco <g>)
Soooo, what exactly is wrong with Boney M, huh? (Well, no... I don't listen to them either I must admit.)

prefer it quite a bit over anything from the 80s forward.
Heathen! The 80s is clearly the best musical decade ever.

Well, maybe I should have said I meant someone of my father's generation. You don't find very many timeless beatles-like pop musicians of the 30s after all...

Music he was listening to in the 30's? The math doesn't add up....

That stemmed from someone saying get him a bottle of 50year old wine
and i replied with why 50 year? Get him a bottle from the year he was born it has more significance than a bottle from the year he turned 25. and then grall thinking I was talking about music not wine.

a patchwork from newspapers of all past periods - get from internet 75 different big news, one for each year.
make a patchwork of them.
He will just love it.

Music he was listening to in the 30's? The math doesn't add up....
Not music he listened to IN the thirties (he was friggin 3-4 years old then, lullabyes don't really count as music does it...), but music FROM the 30s.

Just for fun, can you mention one popular artist from the 30s that people still listen to? I sure as hell can't, but then I was born in the 70s, so... (*)

Oh and btw Davros, my folks don't drink wine, so... But thanks anyway.

*Edit: Me and my dad actually discussed Zarah Leander the other day, and I guess some old coots might put on one of her records now and then, but damn... I won't buy something like that for him! :LOL: Interesting anecdote about her btw. According to legends, she and Goebbels, Nazi German Minister of Propaganda, had the following (roughly remembered) exchange: (Leander was big in Germany in the nazi era.)

"Such a beautiful name you have, madam. Too bad it's so...jewish. Z-a-r-a-h."

"You're one to talk! J-o-s-e-p-h!"

Might be bogus, but... It's fun, anyway, even if it's maybe not true. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ella Fitzgerald :) She's an artist some people can find worth listening to even when born 70 years after her.
She's not alive though but neither are Cobain or Michael Jackson or Gainsbourg or whoever people still listen to.

Back