Multiplatform Assassin's Creed--si or no?

If I was going to compare Assassin's Creed with another game as far as exclusivity goes, I would compare it with the "exclusive" Xbox game from Ubisoft called Splinter Cell.

Powderkeg said:
If I was going to compare Assassin's Creed with another game as far as exclusivity goes, I would compare it with the "exclusive" Xbox game from Ubisoft called Splinter Cell.

Was that a time exclusive for the Xbox? The advantage for the exclusive platform isn't just the earlier release, but it becomes the primary development platform which the game will be designed to its strength.

This alone is worth the investment from the platform maker.

Jov said:
Was that a time exclusive for the Xbox?

Yeah, 3 months.

The advantage for the exclusive platform isn't just the earlier release, but it becomes the primary development platform which the game will be designed to its strength.

This alone is worth the investment from the platform maker.

That's debatable. If the game is intended to be multiplatform from the start the lowest common denominator rule still applies. You can't add any features that won't work on the slowest machine you are making the game for unless you are planning on highly customized versions of the game for all systems, in which case there really isn't a primary development platform.

Rockster said:
That site said:
Fresh word whispered this morning on Assassin's Creed, the intriguing looking assassin-'em-up from Ubisoft, with company representatives apparently confirming to French site Xbox Gamer.net that the title is also in development for 360 and PC.
Look, nothing personal, but come on now. This is the same old stuff as always. "We've been told by someone that they had heard someone say blablah". They don't even bother to link to their primary source.

For all I care it may be true, but this is completely not relevant.

<insert random unsubstantiated Oblivion-on-PS3-this-fall-very-likely comment>

Seems to me a little more reliable than the same old "whispers and apparently talk" due the fact the game is being covered in the latest issue of the Official XBox Magazine UK (my first link). Along with Mercenaries 2 BTW. That would be quite a blunder in my opinion if it wasn't coming to the 360, since why would Ubisoft have provided the magazine with coverage and the debate surrounding exclusivity much to loud for OXM to mistake. Here is another link to the contents of the latest OXM:
http://www.oxm.co.uk/articles/issues/issue10

Perhaps I shouldn't have linked to the original CVG article from July 5th, but I felt like it added context. Sorry.

Thanks Rockster. That's confirmation enough for me. This time around we simply will not see to many exclusives and that's a good thing! I for one, don't mind choice one bit. Props to the Devs who're willing to go cross platform for their titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't take anything as gospel until it's released. It's way too easy for things to get changed, cancelled, etc. even if it is currently in development. It just seemed worthwhile posting another piece of info which indicated that it is indeed coming and seemed more solid than a rumor. Still got flamed. Oh well.

As this is the right thread, regardless of all rumors, I wonder why..

1) ... is Sony not clearly speaking out about this game? On the official AC site it even says :"This title has not yet been concept approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America" - or is this already an indication for a close relationship to Sony? But Sony never mentioned this game, the only time they spoke about it was at a short trailer during TGS 05 where it was first announced for PS3, no word about it now. If there would be some kind of exclusivity, Sony would have definately talked about it.

2)... is Ubi not even talking about other possible releases, in case their is no exclusive deal? It would only harm them by not doing so, economically. It's simply lost advertising.

So imo that leaves only one possibility - the game is simply not (or no longer) in development for the 360, or has been delayed/canceled because of costs/effort reasons to release it multiplatform (see Cod3 rumors).

Jesus2006 said:
As this is the right thread, regardless of all rumors, I wonder why..

1) ... is Sony not clearly speaking out about this game? On the official AC site it even says :"This title has not yet been concept approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America" - or is this already an indication for a close relationship to Sony? But Sony never mentioned this game, the only time they spoke about it was at a short trailer during TGS 05 where it was first announced for PS3, no word about it now. If there would be some kind of exclusivity, Sony would have definately talked about it.

2)... is Ubi not even talking about other possible releases, in case their is no exclusive deal? It would only harm them by not doing so, economically. It's simply lost advertising.

So imo that leaves only one possibility - the game is simply not (or no longer) in development for the 360, or has been delayed/canceled because of costs/effort reasons to release it multiplatform (see Cod3 rumors).

People have accepted for months that AC is coming to 360, welcome to the party.

scooby_dooby said:
People have accepted for months that AC is coming to 360, welcome to the party.

Anyways, this is the GC lineup from Ubisoft:

- Splinter Cell Double Agent (PS2, Xbox, GameCube, Xbox 360)
- Rainbow Six Vegas (PSP, PS3, Xbox 360)
- Brothers in Arms Hells Highway (PS3, Xbox 360)
- Rayman Raving Rabbids (PS2, Xbox, GameCube, PSP, DS, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii)
- Assassins Creed (PS3)

www.consolewars.de

IGN's latest news gives more information for the detectives to dissect.
pc999 said:
Ubisoft today announced that it is in development with versions of Far Cry, Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII, Monster 4x4 World Circuit and Open Season for Wii. In addition, the studio is bringing an all-new racer called GT Pro Series to the system.
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32454
Comparing this with the earlier release schedule for Ubisoft, the bolded titles were scheduled for release on Wii, and the red titles are these latest notifications...
Tom Clancy's Firehawk (PS3, Xbox 360, PC) - March 2007
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 5 (PS3, Xbox 360, Rev, PC, PSP) - November 2006
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 4 (PS3, Xbox 360, PC, Xbox, PS2) - March 2007
Assassin (PS3, Xbox 360, Rev, PC, PSP) - March 2007
Lumines 2 (PS2, PSP)
Game 5 (PS3, Xbox 360, PC) - Spring 2007
Alive (PS3, Xbox 360, PC) - Spring 2007
Naruto (Xbox 360)
Rayman 4 (PS3, Xbox 360, Rev, PC, PS2, handheld) - November 2006
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)
Brothers in Arms 3 (PS3, Xbox 360, PC, Nintendo Revolution, DS ) - February 2007
Ninja Turtles (PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Revolution, PC, handheld) - Spring 2007
Highway Battles (Xbox 360)
Enchant Arms (Xbox 360) - July 2006
Blazing Angel 1.5 (PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox) - November 2006 - I guess this is the one mentioned above

These titles weren't on the release schedule.
Monster 4x4 World Circuit
Open Season
Far Cry
Red steel
So, it appears that older list can't be looked to to provide evidence, as it both lists a title not due for Wii (Rainbow Six Five - stupid name) and doesn't list titles that are coming out. Seeing Assassin's Creed for XB360 on that old list doesn't mean it's actually coming.

On the flip side, if you visit the website for Blazing Angels : Squadrons of WWII, you'll see XB logos but no other platform identifiers, thus showing that Ubisoft are quite happy to develop a title for a platform but not advertise the fact on the game's website, disproving the theory that absence of XB360 logo at ACreed's website == lack of development. Assuming BA:SoWWII appears on XB360 and Wii at the same time, the idea of a timed exclusive for AC on PS3 isn't substantiated by absence of logos either and the possibilty of a simultaneous release exists.

This leaves a big and challenging question - if Ubisoft spend the effort developing a title for a platform and will release for that platform at the same time as another platform, why won't they advertise the fact on their website?!

That list has had missing titles forever, Splinter Cell for example was never on that list.

I thinkk things change all the time, and that list is by no means set in stone, however enough things have proven to be true, that I think it was probably a legit leak at that point in time.

The obvious bet is that they recieved some money to stay quiet on the 360 version for the time being.

scooby_dooby said:
The obvious bet is that they recieved some money to stay quiet on the 360 version for the time being.

Ok, so what hinders Sony from shouting out loud "WE HAVE ASSASSIN'S CREED" (timed exclusive)?

scooby_dooby said:

Isn't there some sort of legal issue with paying someone off to not advertise for a competitor's product?

Jesus2006 said:
Ok, so what hinders Sony from shouting out loud "WE HAVE ASSASSIN'S CREED" (timed exclusive)?
Either because negiotiations are still ongoing, and it's not confirmed to be a timed exclusive, or it's only an agreement for announcement rights.

Alstong - AC is ubisoft's product, and this sort of thing happens all the time. FN3 at E3 2005, UT2K7 at E3 2005 (and still to this day)

Jesus2006 said:

Sony does not usually shout out loud about exclusives anyway..

And i dont believe Sony would pay Ubi if the 360-version infact comes out the same day. So, it has to be a timed exclusive because Ubi is not talking about the 360-version.

scooby_dooby said:
Would you say that MS paid Ubisoft not to place rival logos on BA:SoWWII?

scooby_dooby said:
Either because negiotiations are still ongoing, and it's not confirmed to be a timed exclusive, or it's only an agreement for announcement rights.

Alstong - AC is ubisoft's product, and this sort of thing happens all the time. FN3 at E3 2005, UT2K7 at E3 2005 (and still to this day)

But see, these are timed exclusives. It seems somewhat monopolistic to me if the games were indeed out on the same day and a rival company paid so that only their version of the game was being advertised on their system. Anti-Trust?

Back