[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

After watching the YT video it's obvious that the PS3 version looks really close to the PC version at least in that section of the game level. I'm definitely impressed.

Game definitely looks very smooth. The way the wall crumbles when you shoot it too by the way. ;)

Just watched the video and it looked really good considering it's running at such ancient hardware - my only complaints are the bland smoke effects and the rough/jaggy IQ, MLAA doesn't seem to do a good work here.

Interested to see the "ol box" version as Ruskie said. :p

Just saw the footage on Fallon...

Dont know what to think but, yeah pretty downgraded, sadly. Really if you were expecting miracles, there aren't any here.

Definitely not leaps and bounds above any other console game or military shooter. 512 RAM just cant be escaped.

Are you serious? Really do you expecting the console would been better than what we have seen? :???: From my point of view is pretty fantastic how good is the ps3 version :???: Did you really want to compare to the MW or the others brand engine? It win at hands down.

Are you serious? Really do you expecting the console would been better than what we have seen? :???: From my point of view is pretty fantastic how good is the ps3 version :???: Did you really want to compare to the MW or the others brand engine? It win at hands down.
It might sound crazy,I know,but I find MW3 to look better than this BF3 footage from PS3:LOL:
Something is off...dunno exactly what...Lighting definitely doesn't look as good as PC but the bad thing is,there is no camera/object motion blur.AF and shadows are a bit shoddy too...I mean,that was to be expected,I just thought it will look a bit better.

Impressive - definitely doesn't seem to be cut down as much as the console versions of C2.

Looks like the PC version except for the lower IQ, texture detail and shadows (though shadow filtering looks good, much better than COD), all things quite hard to notice when you're sitting 6-10 feet away from the screen.(the interlacing on the 1080i capture also makes the IQ look worse than it actually is)

It just goes to show you what a difference realistic lighting makes to a game's visuals

However, the smoke effects on the cars look horrible - hopefully that's just placeholder, otherwise I sure hope we get better transparencies on the 360 version.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might sound crazy,I know,but I find MW3 to look better than this BF3 footage from PS3:LOL:
Something is off...dunno exactly what...Lighting definitely doesn't look as good as PC but the bad thing is,there is no camera/object motion blur.AF and shadows are a bit shoddy too...I mean,that was to be expected,I just thought it will look a bit better.

IMHO yes, it's crazy :LOL: This engine is really fantastic & push the ps3 over its limits how never... honestly I don't think MW 3 can touch frontside 2 technically (60 fps a part), only just the first version of fb it's from my point underappreciated because the level of interactivity I think it's untouchable for any other games on the console at that resolution & level of details. By the way artigianal screenshot comparison pc/ps3 version: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28665645&postcount=1 Really impressive consider the ps3 has even terrible capture.

IMHO yes, it's crazy :LOL: This engine is really fantastic & push the ps3 over its limits how never... honestly I don't think MW 3 can touch frontside 2 technically (60 fps a part), only just the first version of fb it's from my point underappreciated because the level of interactivity I think it's untouchable for any other games on the console at that resolution & level of details. By the way artigianal screenshot comparison pc/ps3 version: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28665645&postcount=1 Really impressive consider the ps3 has even terrible capture.

Both platforms screen captures look shitty imo.
This section probably isn't a really cool section i wanted to see something like this on consoles.
bf3-2c8pk.gif

I find them impressive ! :)
Not sure what's disappointing. If you are willing to spend more and the developers are willing to participate, you should be able to get better output from a high end PC, or a PS3 grid, or a supercomputer.

Am interested to know the PC specs so we can guesstimate what WiiU and next PS360 may look like.

How come they didn't show environment destruction in both versions ?

"A very, very nice individual has got us a 1080i off-air recording of the Battlefield PS3 footage from Jimmy Fallon. Quality is sensational."

Digital Foundry tweet.

Calm down. When I was watching it live on TV it looked worse for some reason. And if you go to the Neogaf thread you see the people watching it live had the same reaction in real time, pretty negative. It looked like Medal of Honor or any other generic shooter. For some reason it looks better on YT. DF's 1080i footage should be interesting.

I guess it looks good, the smoke, realism, destruction etc are definitely where BF3 could feel really good on console. Dont get me wrong it looks 70-80% as good and that's admirable.

Now I'm already hankering for more console footage. If you look at the PC fault line trailer, the section they showed is the least impressive graphically anyway. I would like to see how the console looks in more impressive scenes.

All in all I think Kotick was right, as a console game it's not leaps and bounds above what else is out there, judging by this footage. The PC footage could trick you. But all my opinions are subject to change so dont think I'm crazy if I rave over a different clip they show later.

At least we know for sure now that next gen visuals has improvements to offer, eh :LOL:?

Initial reaction from GAF was negative (probably because most were judging from live streams).
Now that higher quality versions have been shown, reactions are pretty positive overall. Most of the negative comments are people saying that it's noticeably downgraded from the PC version, which is to be expected.

Calm down. When I was watching it live on TV it looked worse for some reason. And if you go to the Neogaf thread you see the people watching it live had the same reaction in real time, pretty negative. It looked like Medal of Honor or any other generic shooter. For some reason it looks better on YT. DF's 1080i footage should be interesting.

I guess it looks good, the smoke, realism, destruction etc are definitely where BF3 could feel really good on console. Dont get me wrong it looks 70-80% as good and that's admirable.

Now I'm already hankering for more console footage. If you look at the PC fault line trailer, the section they showed is the least impressive graphically anyway. I would like to see how the console looks in more impressive scenes.

All in all I think Kotick was right, as a console game it's not leaps and bounds above what else is out there, judging by this footage. The PC footage could trick you. But all my opinions are subject to change so dont think I'm crazy if I rave over a different clip they show later.

At least we know for sure now that next gen visuals has improvements to offer, eh :LOL:?

I'm calm :LOL: sorry but just makes me laugh to think this conversion immediately remind how we need of next generations :LOL: because if any porting on console to pc was been like that, it just seem the opposite...

Back