Movie Reviews 2.0

Senna: 10/10. You don't even have to be a racing fan to appreciate this. Absolutely amazing.

Battle LA. 2/10. What happens when you mix Black Hawk Down with Independence Day and fail you pull it off? You get Battle LA!

Green Lantern: 3/10. Just not much good here. Even the special effects are not that good.

The InBetweeners: 5/10. Good first 30mins. Then it drags on, become very predictive but takes a long time to get there.

I thought that The Inbetweeners movie had about the same number of jokes as a normal episode as the show but spread out over three times as long. Very disappointing.

Troll Hunter: 8/10 Thoroughly enjoyed this with my family. Not meant to be a serious movie in any way, it actually made me laugh a number of times which is rare from movies nowadays. Decent enough effects and animatronics to suffice for the realistic documentary look. A few plot holes here and there doesn't really detract from the overall fun and the pace is good throughout. I haven't seen his previous work, Dead Snow, but I'm keen to have a look as it is supposed to be quite good.

Tintin
It's beautiful to look at, I've had no problem with the believability of the mildly caricatured characters. The highlight is Serkis, who's both very good and pretty recognizable as the captain, and provides most of the laughs as well.

There's a lot of stuff that would indeed be impossible to film in live action. Some scenes get pretty intense like where Tintin is nearly hit by a few cars; others are totally cartoonish. There's also a totally insance set piece involving a chase that goes on forever and keeps getting more and more crazy, but I've also been shocked by a naval battle. I'll have to watch it again with the original voices (IMAX version has to be dubbed to get enough people interested) to see how well the Frost-Pegg duo works as the twin detectives.

So how's the movie? It's an interesting mix, as I've mentioned the action is completely insane at times but IMHO manages to stay on the right side of the edge. Spielberg is clearly having a lot of fun with the new toys, he's a master of movie making in the digital realm as much as in the real one. There's a lot of laughs too, and most of them are pretty hard to resist (like the definition of a cleptomaniac) and I have to repeat that it looks wonderful. The amount of small details and the richness of the scenery makes it worth to see the movie at least once more.
Yet the story isn't as good as the first Indy movie, there are far too many scenes of Tintin drawing the right conclusions from just a few facts, the pace is perhaps a bit too fast, most of the characters aren't interesting at all, so if it was live action you wouldn't remember it for too long. It's also quite evident when they're unable to use mocap and the manual animation is a bit too cartoonish compared to the complete realism of the actors' original movements.

But all in all I'd say you have to see it, and hope for a sequel with a bit more depth (it's success seems to be guaranteed at this point with some $160 million box office already, without the US).

Troll Hunter: 8/10 Thoroughly enjoyed this with my family. Not meant to be a serious movie in any way, it actually made me laugh a number of times which is rare from movies nowadays. Decent enough effects and animatronics to suffice for the realistic documentary look. A few plot holes here and there doesn't really detract from the overall fun and the pace is good throughout. I haven't seen his previous work, Dead Snow, but I'm keen to have a look as it is supposed to be quite good.

I meant to comment on Trollhunter after I saw it. Really a funny movie. Highly recommended.

Dead Snow is by Tommy Wirkola, while The Troll Hunter is by André Øvredal.

Both are Norwegian, though. :)

on a somewhat related note, dead snow was great.

i havent seen troll hunter yet, netflix keeps recommending it, so i guess i better watch it.

Dead Snow is by Tommy Wirkola, while The Troll Hunter is by André Øvredal.

Both are Norwegian, though. :)

Oops sorry :oops: I must have linked the movies by them both being Norwegian but failed to accurately remember how.

Regarding Trollhunter,
I laughed my ass off when the poacher came running out of the woods for the first time and yelled "TROOOOOOLL".
:LOL:

Took the kids to see the Muppet movie tonight and absolutely loved it. Had a huge smile on my face when they recreated the theme song and old TV show opening. Really cool moment early on when the camera lingers on a picture of Jim Henson. Dare I score this a 9/10? That's probably a tad unfair, 9.5/10 is probably more accurate.

We rented Transformers 3 this weekend, on reading in various locations (including here I think) that it was closer to Transformers 1 than 2, and I enjoyed it. Pretty good sound too.

I fell asleep during the first hour of Transformers 3 the first time I watched it, and thought it was the worst one overall after watching it properly last week.

I fell asleep during the first hour of Transformers 3 the first time I watched it, and thought it was the worst one overall after watching it properly last week.

Funny, same thing happened to me. It happened again second time I tried to watch the movie (last night). I might go for the hat-trick later this week.

The preview was cool.

Maybe they realized that the movie doesn't have to be good if the preview is cool?

Recently watched movies that I recommend: Super 8, Captain America & Howl's Moving Castle (anime).

Anyone watched The Debt or The Ides of March? I want to watch them both, but especially The Ides of March.

But Shia LeBAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRF!

Gosh, maybe it just helps that I haven't seen the preview? :LOL:

I enjoyed it, anyway. If you fell asleep during this, then you either don't sleep much, you have a crap system to watch on, or you inundate yourself with piles of this kind of high-energy nonsense all the time. ;)

Mind you I have never fallen asleep during a movie ever.

Back