Movie Reviews 2.0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dresden, Jan 26, 2009.

1. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Wasn’t there a dev named something monkey or something that described on B3D a company owner or project lead that wanted to make a convoluted and ever sprawling game with hitler riding a T-Rex?

Did that story go viral?

I only asked because I saw a trailer for Iron Sky: The Coming Race and it has hitler running around on a fucking T-Rex.

I was like, “WTF!!! I’ll be damned!!!” LOL.

#5261 dobwal, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Davros

Legend

shoot the monkey I think

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Close, it was "ShootMyMonkey". You can search for member posts to see their posts.

Regards,
    SB

jlippo, hoom and BRiT like this.
  4. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Alita Battle Angel.
    I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was exciting, wonderful to look at and didn't think it needed to throw in joke after joke just because that's what works for Marvel. In a way it was refreshingly old-school despite all the visual trickery.

pharma likes this.
  5. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Upgrade.
    Almost don't wanna say anything besides it's a cyberpunky sci-fi movie and you really should seek it out.
    Basically it's about a guy who gets paralized from the neck down during the violent aftermath of a car crash which was deliberately caused by a bunch of thugs. They also murder his significant other for no apparent reason. "Lucky" for him he knows a visionary tech billionare who fuses an experimantal, highly advanced A.I. chip to his cervical spine. This doesn't merely restore his motor functions, though. It also grants him the reflexes and combat abilities of a comic book character such as Daredevil. Then the chip starts talking to him...

I loved the hell out of this film. As far as I'm concerned it's another poster boy for low-budget sci-fi film making. Kinda like Ex Machina was. And neither of the two films looked anywhere near as cheap as their pitiful 5 million dollar budgets would suggest they should.

#5265 Sigfried1977, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    rabidrabbit, Picao84 and Malo like this.
  6. Tkumpathenurpahl

Veteran Newcomer

Whoa, Ex Machina only had a $5 million budget?

7. Sigfried1977

Veteran

I was wrong. It was 15 million (still very modest. Grown Ups 2 cost 80 million). On the other hand, Upgrade only had a $3 million busget according to a quick google search. And it's a damn good looking movie I think.

Picao84, Malo and Tkumpathenurpahl like this.
  8. Tkumpathenurpahl

Veteran Newcomer

Well, $15 million's still bugger all.

I really liked Annihilation. Just looked up its budget: ~$45 million. Such a shame that an executive got his knickers in a twist and blocked it from global theatrical distribution because Alex Garland wouldn't change the ending.

It's quite different from the book of the same name. Although I'm only part way through the second book, so maybe the singular film condenses the book trilogy.

9. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Its plot device is very similar to Venom, but upgrade is soooooo much better.

10. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Loved it as well. Gave me hopes for Netflix Originals. Then they released "Mute" and "The Cloverfield Paradox" and that one where Sandra Bullock wears a blindfold and "The Wandering Earth and quite possible another 2 Adam Sandler movies. Seems like Annihilation was a mere fluke.

Annihilation was also the most impressive Dolby Vision content I've seen so far.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  11. Picao84

Veteran Regular

Oh really? When I watched I didn't have HDR yet. Do you think it's worth another viewing just for the visuals?

12. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Hell yeah. It looks phenomenal.

Picao84 likes this.
  13. Mariner

Veteran

I wasn't overly impressed with Annihilation. Very stylishly done, an interesting concept, but ultimately a bit of a wishy-washy ending for me. It did seem to go on a bit as well. I've not read the book, so perhaps that was a more satisfying denouement.

hoom and BRiT like this.
  14. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Alex Garland endings are a bit polarizing in general. I loved Sunshine, but I can absolutely understand everyone who was put off by the fact that this lovely hard sci-fi film suddenly became a slasher movie in space.

15. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

My understanding is that the ending of the movie is completely different from the book it is based on, which is weird. I also was left a bit Meh by that ending. Gotta love Lady Thor though.

BRiT likes this.
  16. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

I still can't believe Bird Box got mixed reviews. What an impressive and original movie ! Phenomenal stuff !

Apparently, to my surprise, it got mixed reviews because notably the characters developments were poor. I think they completely missed the point. Only in comedy movies like Avengers and such (which are great movies, I talk about that later) subtle characters developments are possible (and always the same) during an end of the world event.

But that's not the reality, that hollywood writers view of a theoretical end of the world (basically they need to make fun, romance, psychological subtlety from it because they need to make money from it).

But in a real end of the world event, there won't be any subtle character developments, either you become a survival animal and survive while enduring extreme pain, hunger and thirst or you'll quickly die without smart or funny last words.

BRiT likes this.
  17. Sigfried1977

Veteran

I can't believe Bird Box got as much as a single positive review. Great marketing campaign, though.

tongue_of_colicab and London-boy like this.
  18. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Bird box - great first half hour or so. Pretty ridiculous - and not in a good way - the rest. Especially the end, and some bits here and there like..... the kids didn’t even have a name? Literally the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard in a movie. If you want to portray a bad mom, there’s literally a gazillion ways to do that, but that’s just stupid.

DSoup likes this.
  19. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Well it's sort of hard to portray a bad mom when addiction to Facebook and Walmart shopping are no longer feasible after the event...

London-boy and rabidrabbit like this.
  20. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Red Heat

Surprisingly fun film, haven't seen it in quite long time and it was nice to revisit.

Silent_Buddha likes this.