Movie Reviews 2.0

Despite all the reviews, I think the current portrayal of Superman is pretty good. But it is undeniable that BvS had some fundamental issues that should have rung some alarm bells way before they even started shooting the bloody thing.

"But looking back at the coloring-scheme of both MoS and BvS, and everything looks so incredibly washed out and dreary. I know it is supposed to reflect the tone of the movie, and this is purely subjective, but I cannot emphazise how much I dislike that."

Just saw it last week and couldn't agree with you more. You'd expect Batman's dreams to look like that, maybe, but the whole movie looks like this. It gives a strongly disconnected feel, and everything in this movie just feels incredibly muted. Nobody feels alive, and way to few (any?) people in the movie express that they are happy to be alive. There's just too much angst and without proper joy it doesn't stand out. How can you see a valley without mountains? This is also probably why we liked Wonderwoman so much - she was the only one that made you feel like she enjoyed being alive and was in control.

Other things that I had trouble with: the main plot. It was just too much like Civil War, which maybe was just bad luck, but it hurt my enjoyment of the movie. I did like most of the acting actually, and the details of the plot were decent enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am in agreement with Arwin regarding the colours of BvS - it made me feel a bit depressed really. The whole movie left me feeling glum.
At least the first lot of Superman movies (Christopher Reeves) at least showed Superman's power before he was getting into trouble from other beings from his world or Hackman's Lex Luthor.
Yeah... the Superman of my childhood no longer exists and the world has moved on - perhaps that is why the new Supes movies just don't work.

I am in agreement with Arwin regarding the colours of BvS - it made me feel a bit depressed really. The whole movie left me feeling glum.
I can't say the color scheme was anything that bothered me or even something I consciously thought much about. If anything it reminded me of good ole "Gladiator", another movie which was heavily color graded and de-saturated.

Gladiator wasn't anything this bad, or you wouldn't have been able to see those individual arrows fly. Besides, it was one of the first BluRay movies I've ever seen, iirc. And Gladiator also had the 'dream' scenes clearly stand out.

I also hated small things, like Superman hovering for a bit and then taking off - seemed completely unnecessary and I just much prefer Superman jumping into the air, it's just ever so slightly better at not taking me out of things. Also, he's OP enough as it is. Any next Superman movie should consider taking him down a few notches.

This is also the problem with many heroes in these DC movies - they're all basically way too overpowered. Sure, they used it reasonably well in this show (at least in giving Batman motivation to feel he needs to be ready to stop Superman), but even that whole could destroy everyone part has been such a huge part of the whole X-men series already where I think it was done much better. Heck, in Buffy it was done better several times. ;)

Gladiator wasn't anything this bad, or you wouldn't have been able to see those individual arrows fly. Besides, it was one of the first BluRay movies I've ever seen, iirc. And Gladiator also had the 'dream' scenes clearly stand out.

I also hated small things, like Superman hovering for a bit and then taking off - seemed completely unnecessary and I just much prefer Superman jumping into the air, it's just ever so slightly better at not taking me out of things. Also, he's OP enough as it is. Any next Superman movie should consider taking him down a few notches.

This is also the problem with many heroes in these DC movies - they're all basically way too overpowered. Sure, they used it reasonably well in this show (at least in giving Batman motivation to feel he needs to be ready to stop Superman), but even that whole could destroy everyone part has been such a huge part of the whole X-men series already where I think it was done much better. Heck, in Buffy it was done better several times. ;)

Absolutely. The real problem, in my opinion, is not that they're overpowered. We've had amazing movies and TV shows with supposedly overpowered beings which didn't descend into complete nonsense. Buffy first, The Flash today, and lots more in the middle. Is it more difficult to build stories for god-like beings? Of course. Is it impossible? No. Should Zack Snyder be allowed to try again? Oh hell no!

The reality is that if the talented people at Marvel decided to make a new series of movies based on DC characters, but without Disney's limitations with violence, they would probably be better than anything Snyder could ever hope to come up with.

Heck, there are decades of great story lines they could use straight from the comic books!

IN MY OPINION!

They need to bring the super hero movies down a notch or two.

I still think one of the best super hero stories and character developments goes to Unbreakable by M. Night Shyamalan. That's some great story telling.

Was he a superhero ?
That was the idea. The first film was drawing out the first act of a comic book origin story to a full film.

Bruce's hero raincoat always reminds me of the mgs2. Which I think is wrong as the MGS2 e3 reveal was a year after Unbreakable.

They need to bring the super hero movies down a notch or two.
And we urgently need some sort of "reverse ratings" to protect the minds of adults from the kind of movies hollywood is making these days.
So all superhero movies would be rated as "Reverse PG-13", which means that if you're OLDER than 13 years you cannot watch the film and only kids under that age are allowed to enter the movie theater.

And we urgently need some sort of "reverse ratings" to protect the minds of adults from the kind of movies hollywood is making these days.
So all superhero movies would be rated as "Reverse PG-13", which means that if you're OLDER than 13 years you cannot watch the film and only kids under that age are allowed to enter the movie theater.

Hahaha, Brilliant! :D

I am a regular watcher of Schmoes Know Movie Show on youtube. One of the crew-members, Brett, has a reversed granding scale where every movie starts out at Negative 100 when he starts the movie, and the more he likes it, the closer it gets to 0. I LOVE that way of thinking about a movie!

Warcraft

If it wasn't for the CGI work, I would've thought that I was watching the Asylum version. Terrible stuff, really, in the last third I was actually starting to laugh during the supposedly emotional and dramatic scenes.

The orcs are pretty well done though, IMHO. Dwarves not so much, and some of the greenscreen comp work still sticks out, although not as much as in the first trailers.

I really can't understand how this came to happen. On the one hand it had to pass through a lot of movie execs; and what's even more crazy, through a lot of Blizzard folks too. What were they thinking? And What was Duncan Jones thinking??

Saw the conjuring 1&2, solid horror films. I'm looking forward to a third, never expected to say that for a horror series :p

Terrible stuff, really,
Warcraft's CGI was super uneven. There's some that belongs in a 1990s FMV video game, and then some stuff that's just about completely realistic.

By the way... As it turns out, Bats Vs. Supes extended edition is ONLY extended on 4K blu-ray version, not the regular, bog standard blu-ray, so all my impressions were of the cinematic cut of the movie, as I don't have a 4K player (yet)... :D Anyway, I thought it was a honkin' good action movie as it is. If I'd seen this in the cinemas I would have walked out very pleased overall.

Saw the conjuring 1&2, solid horror films. I'm looking forward to a third, never expected to say that for a horror series :p
Agreed. Nice length and great cinematography. He's a very passionate director.

By the way... As it turns out, Bats Vs. Supes extended edition is ONLY extended on 4K blu-ray version, not the regular, bog standard blu-ray

Actually the extended edition is included with every Blu-ray version. Just not included with the DVD only version. You should have gotten a theatrical version on DVD along with your extended version on Bluray if you bought the cheap Blu-ray version.

Tommy McClain

Actually the extended edition is included with every Blu-ray version.
That's not what it says on the back of the 'ultimate edition'. My mate, who saw the movie in cinemas, also watched the regular BR version and saw no differences, he tells me. So if you're saying the extended edition is included - well yes it is. On the 4K disc. But not on the standard BR disc. Which is just what I said! ;)

According to the Amazon product page, the Batman V Superman Blu-Ray has a running time of 182 minutes. That is most definitely an awful lot longer than the theatrical cut.

Speaking of dumb movies, I've watched Gods of Egypt. I had fun with it actually. Kind of reminded me of the mummy movies. An over-the-top, cheerful and somewhat old-fashioned special effects ride. Kinda like a modern take on Ray Harryhausen's work. Some of the effects work was a little ropey, but I appreciate how imaginative the imagery often was. Almost worth it for just the image of Ra dragging the sun across the skys via a giant space boat thing :)

It wasn't anywhere near as dumb as Batman V Superman, though.

Last edited:
Back