Movie Reviews 2.0

It was Apocalypse, i.e. by far the most powerful/awesome enemy the X-Men (cartoon) ever faced.

:oops: They're finally incorporating the most incredible villain in the comics? Now that I'll definitely be seeing at the cinemas.

Seen X-Men yesterday and it was amazing :)

And to hear unchanged voices of Sir Patrick and Ian brought back some memories!

Very curious to see how Quicksilver will be on the next Avengers. The way-too-short scene with him on the Xmen was just sublime. Joss Whedon will surely have a different approach, as he is a very different director, and I have faith in him if only because I still idolise him from my Buffy days.

He won't be because Marvel Studios are contractually forbidden from using X-Men or mutants in general I'm afraid. Or are you not talking about the next big Avengers movie here?

Look it up :) Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both on the next Avengers (Age of Ultron). He's mega hottie Aaron Taylor-Johnson - whatever his name is, Kick Ass and Godzilla guy - and she's one of the Olsen sisters (not the twins).
Somehow they won't be 'mutants', nor we'll hear about Magneto being their daddy, because of those stupid rights issue.

He won't be because Marvel Studios are contractually forbidden from using X-Men or mutants in general I'm afraid. Or are you not talking about the next big Avengers movie here?
Err, you might want to check out Captain America: The Winter Soldier first end of (well, in) credits scene, Marvel Studios beat Fox to it already!

It seems the licensing gets funky on the fringe characters and because these guys appeared in the Avengers comics Marvel also has rights to them.

It would seem that Fox only really has the rights for the Xmen. Anyone else is game. With the sort of mixing and matching among the Marvel universe, things should be relatively flexible on secondary characters. Apocalypse fought against Loki for example, if my memory doesn't fail me, and that alone would be a movie rights disaster waiting to happen.

It would seem that Fox only really has the rights for the Xmen. Anyone else is game. With the sort of mixing and matching among the Marvel universe, things should be relatively flexible on secondary characters. Apocalypse fought against Loki for example, if my memory doesn't fail me, and that alone would be a movie rights disaster waiting to happen.

I think everything can be negotiated. If Marvel studio want to use X-men characters, just pay them money. I'm sure they won't mind. The fact that X-men trailer could show up on Spiderman as a post credit scene probably means Sony, Fox, and Marvel studio are willing to cooperate for greater earn.. good! I mean greater good :)

The licencing appears to cover core characters from thee comics (and evidently certain phrases that are key, in the case of Mutants), so Magneto won't be appearing for other studios while Fox holds the X-Men rights. Fox also still has the rights to Fantastic 4 (currently under re-boot), which means its unlikely Dr Doom will be appearing anywhere else either; there have been discussions in Fox to try and conceive their own version of the Marvel universe by melding the IP's they have with FF and X-Men.

Separately, I seems that Sony are spinning off the "Sinister Six" movies based on the enemy IP covered by their Spider-man license.

After watching DOFP I now need portal powers to be a real thing in the world. Blink's portrayal was a visual treat, giving me that rare kinda movie thrill of which I've only previously derived from bullet time in the first Matrix and the zero g scene in Inception!

Anyone seen Kick Ass 2 recently? It came out on Sky Movies tonight. I didn't expect it to be as good as the original but I reckon it was pretty damn close, flippin awesome film! Totally makes me wanna hulk up and go and rip out some chav scum throats!

Watched Wolverine today and must say it didn't really grab me. Almost as if it was written purely as a preamble to X-men 2. Suspect I will enjoy that one more ... Hero movies need a good bad guy for obvious reasons.

Anyone seen Kick Ass 2 recently? It came out on Sky Movies tonight. I didn't expect it to be as good as the original but I reckon it was pretty damn close, flippin awesome film! Totally makes me wanna hulk up and go and rip out some chav scum throats!

Agreed. I wasn't sure it would be as outrageous as the first but it definitely delivered. Very worthy sequel IMO.

Agreed. I wasn't sure it would be as outrageous as the first but it definitely delivered. Very worthy sequel IMO.

I think it was enjoyable, but the first one was definitely much better. I don't know how the main character turned into such a block of wood in Godzilla though. Couldn't believe it was the same guy, when I checked. Godzilla was still watchable, but it felt like the older dude was the only one allowed to do any acting :)

Saw the new X-men too last week. I hate to say it, but I was expecting more out of this. It was good around the first 2/3 of the movie, but at Paris it took a turn for the worse imo and the rest was less than I hoped.

Rented Anchorman 2 and Secret life of Walter Mitty and liked both of them.

Edge of Tomorrow is pretty entertaining and well worth a watch.

Some quite good bits of humour in there as well as all the action.

Back