MotoGP 2005

Rossi starts title defence with a victory

Valentino Rossi began his MotoGP World Championship defence with a determined performance at Jerez today, snatching victory from home favourite Sete Gibernau in a dramatic final corner manoeuvre. A minute’s silence in memory of Pope John Paul II provided the calm before the storm as Rossi stalked Gibernau for virtually the entire race, making his move on the penultimate lap only to make a mistake in the final circulation and hand the lead back to the Spaniard.

It set up a breathtaking finale, with the pair exchanging places in the fast right corners which lead into the final left-hand hairpin, where they collided as Rossi forced his way up the inside. Gibernau ran it wide into the gravel but returned to the track to limp across the line in second place, benefiting from the huge gap the two riders had opened up over third-placed Marco Melandri, who completed the podium in his first MotoGP appearance for Honda.

“This was for sure a great race, especially after the problems I had in the morning,â€￾ said Rossi, who had crashed out of the warm-up and caused extensive damage to his number one Yamaha machine. “Sete rode a great race and set a very fast pace. I attacked at the end but made a mistake on the last lap and then we touched in the final corner. I’m sure Sete’s angry about it right now but racing motorcycles is hard. There are 16 races to go and it will be a hard battle.â€￾

Melandri took third place after Nicky Hayden had crashed out with just eight laps to go, ending hopes of what looked like a certain podium for the American, the only rider to match the pace of Rossi and Gibernau throughout the race. Alex Barros clinched a distant fourth after a hard battle with Kawasaki rider Shinya Nakano and his Honda team-mate Troy Bayliss, who took a creditable sixth place on his debut for the Japanese factory.

Max Biaggi recovered from his worst ever grid position of 16th to take seventh after overcoming the challenge of Honda colleague Makoto Tamada and Yamaha’s Colin Edwards, whilst Carlos Checa fought through the pain of a recovering shoulder injury to complete the top ten at his home circuit on the Ducati.

336428.jpg

News Source: MotoGP

--------------------------------------------

Ok .. I don't know how many of you watch this .. but damn .. this was an AWESOME race.

Valentino and Sete fought brilliantly .. but I think Rossi always had the edge. With the final turn incident .. well Sete should've known that Rossi was gonna go for it and I think he should've closed/kept the inside of the track to force Rossi to go around him. He didn't do it and so lost out.

To show you how good Rossi is .. the next Yamaha finished in 13th and Rossi's teammate, Colin Edwards, finished in 15th place.

Congrats to Valentino Rossi.

US

I still think Rossi should not have made that last move like that. He should not have made the mistake of running wide a few corners earlier and that would have ensure him winning the race and not injuring Sete's shoulder and running him out of the race. True there was an opening, but if you look carefully he had his foot off the pedal compeltely. It is a racing incident but I think VR still should have apologized to SG and raised his hand as well in victory because in my opinion both riders deserved the race victory though Rossi's was made a bit hollow.

I am a Rossi fan by the way. Let us hope he does not make this a habit.

For sure Rossi was going in rather hot into that last corner - however, as an ex-club racer myself, it's clear he was going for a typical block-pass move. Gibernau was aiming to square off the corner and then punch onto the straight to stay ahead of Rossi; two such methods don't mix!

By the way, Gibernau didn't injury his shoulder from the collision; he'd had trouble with it before and it popped out during the heavy braking in the last few corners.

Well from what I've heard .. taking his foot of the pedal like that is Rossi's style .. I can't say if it is though.

Portugal this weekend .. it should be an awesome race.

US

SG couldn't keep the tight line, so left space for VR to out-brake him and get into the corner. SG then tried to bounce VR out of the race, but the general rule is that if you are on the outside of a bend, you are the one that gets knocked to the outside of the track.

That last bend coming together was SG trying to close the door on VR, but VR had already made it into the inside line, so there's no way that was going to work. SG did a lot of sulking after the race, but it was basically a racing incident and SG came off worse through his own actions.

BTW, did you notice VR complaining that when he was chasing SG down the last straight, SG stood on his brakes for no reason? I don't think under those kinds of circumstances SG has much to complain about when it comes to him coming off worse after trying to drop his bike on top of VR at the last bend.

MotoGP drama continues at betandwin.com GP de Portugal

The dramatic start to the MotoGP World Championship at Jerez last Sunday enters its second chapter after a break of just four days as the betandwin.com Grande Premio de Portugal gets underway with the first free practice session at Estoril on Friday morning.

The battle for honours between Valentino Rossi and Sete Gibernau at the opening round in Spain has been a hot topic of conversation since the dust settled on their last-corner collision, with the latest twist coming on Monday night when Gibernau’s team announced that their rider’s participation in this weekend’s event is in doubt. A medical report compiled by doctors in his hometown of Barcelona has revealed a ‘capsular injury to the joint linking his upper arm and shoulder blade’, damage that is reportedly being treated with an intensive course of physiotherapy, anti-inflammatory medication and daily ultrasound treatment.

Should Gibernau recover in time for the sixth consecutive Grand Prix to be held at Estoril there promises to be another titanic struggle for supremacy between himself and Rossi, the top two riders over the past two seasons of MotoGP. The sparks will begin to fly in Thursday’s pre-event press conference, when the riders will come face-to-face for the first time since the tense post-race ceremonies in Spain.

Read More: Official MotoGP Website

----------------------

Rossi-Gibernau duel boosts TV audiences for MotoGP opener

The heart-stopping 45-minute battle between World Champion Valentino Rossi and his long-standing rival Sete Gibernau in MotoGP’s 2005 season opener, the Gran Premio Marlboro de España in Jerez, saw huge support from TV viewers worldwide.

Unsurprisingly, the largest audiences were recorded in their respective countries, Italy and Spain, where viewers of both Mediaset (Italia 1) and Televisión Española enjoyed the thrilling showdown live in their homes, with the race remarkably taken to the final corner by both riders.

An average of over 7 million spectators enjoyed Rossi’s win through Italia 1, representing a market share of 34.4%. At the broadcasting peak, during the last lap of the race in Jerez, almost 8 million fans were tuned in. In total, the transmission reached 11.5 million spectators.

Read More: Official MotoGP Website

Back