Most anticipated games of 2007 (Gametrailers link)

And this coming from someone who is hating the ME pseudo FPS (make it a real FPS for combat!! darn it!)

No thanks. The aiming reticule is just a quick means to select a target, it would be beyond annoying to be trying to implement tech or force effects and keep missing your target because you don't have them exactly in your sites. It's an RPG dammit! There are a billion FPS's on 360 go play shadowrun or somthin' ;)

I think the combat looks great, very tactical just like KOTOR, but with some great physics implemented and really nice effects. In kotor you just selected your targets, here you use a reticule to 'paint' them, the higher your skills the easier it is to target, I think that's an ideal blend between skill and ease of use. The skill should come into play when creating your strategies and tactics, and using your squad members together, not when trying to select a target.

:oops:

Bioshock and Mass Effect walked away with a number of "Best of E3" awards and have quite a bit of momentum. And a significant difference between the 3 games you mentions in contrast to Heavenly Sword would be this: The 3 developers have all delivered critically successful games in the past. Ninja Theory is a newer developer. Not a dig on NT (new guys can show the old dogs how it should be done quite often), only that on a barometer the newer unproven studio will have a difficult time getting the mindshare away from companies like Nintendo and BioWare.

A lot of games have shown potential -- immesne at that -- and still flopped. One of the things you look at when anticipating a game is, "Can the developer really deliver a complete package that is polished and balanced?" Companies like BioWare and Nintendo have looong reputations of doing exactly this, so for some -- as game preference/anticipation is a taste issue -- it will be far easier to anticipate a game from a proven developer than a game from a newer developer.

I'll just respond to everyone with this:

Most of the other games are from pedigree studios and have had a constant flow of information trickling in over the past couple years -- seems like that's the answer, now that I think about it.

I guess I was mainly judging by the amount of threads and talk/praise on various forums the games got. HS was definitely one of the most talked about games on the various forums I visited, as much as any of those games listed (MGS4, GTA and Halo 3 are in a class of their own though).

Sorry if I sounded like an ass in this thread, but it seemed strange, after reading so much talk over the last couple years on forums, for it not to be a very anticipated game the year it came out, regardless of the lack of screenshots (people's memory needs to be refreshed every so often, seemingly). It appears, as scooby mentioned, this is probably Sony's fault -- release more information and keep it in the public's eye and it likely would have been on there.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter, as it's a single websites opinion and only a list of 10 anticipated titles (I know I'm looking forward to more than 10 this year!).

No thanks. The aiming reticule is just a quick means to select a target, it would be beyond annoying to be trying to implement tech or force effects and keep missing your target because you don't have them exactly in your sites. It's an RPG dammit! There are a billion FPS's on 360 go play shadowrun or somthin' ;)

I am sure it will be a great game... but why cannot there be a true Wester RPG (which Shadowrun isn't!) with all the trimmings... but opts for an action oriented combat style?

I am not saying it is for everyone, but I know I would be very inclined to pick up a titles that, say, had the combat mechanics of a Heavenly Sword but the RPG elements of a Jade Empire or KOTOR or the combat mechanics of Halo and the RPG elements of a game like Mass Effect. (By RPG elements I mean all the stuff outside of the combat as well as incorporating the 'upgrade' and player building / item collecting aspects of RPGs).

After a decade I have given up hope :p

I am not saying it is for everyone, but I know I would be very inclined to pick up a titles that, say, had the combat mechanics of a Heavenly Sword but the RPG elements of a Jade Empire or KOTOR or the combat mechanics of Halo and the RPG elements of a game like Mass Effect. (By RPG elements I mean all the stuff outside of the combat as well as incorporating the 'upgrade' and player building / item collecting aspects of RPGs).

After a decade I have given up hope :p
I second that. I'd quite like to see something like that -- a full free-form real-time combat engine in an RPG!

I second that. I'd quite like to see something like that -- a full free-form real-time combat engine in an RPG!

I am seriously confused why this has never happened though. Maybe the development skills to make a good action game and a good RPG do not overlap enough? Maybe 2x the dev time because you are basically making 2 games?

I dunno, but if such a title existed, and even was an average action title (or FPS) but an above average RPG it would absolutely rule and would sell well (because I would buy it!)

I am seriously confused why this has never happened though. Maybe the development skills to make a good action game and a good RPG do not overlap enough? Maybe 2x the dev time because you are basically making 2 games?

I dunno, but if such a title existed, and even was an average action title (or FPS) but an above average RPG it would absolutely rule and would sell well (because I would buy it!)

If you play PC games, check out Hellgate: London.

The big western RPGs all have ranged combat, though it's usually not as free-form and more suitable for strategic application, because RPG designers (the good ones at least) rely on character development versus difficulty to partition their worlds.With just a gun you can fire at all times ala Quake 3, it would be feasible to conquer the world with enough play skill. And it's a kind of play skill many players already have, they learned it while playing other games.

See Gothic 3's bow implementation: each shot needs a preparation time (to pull the string back). You can fire multiple arrows in (relatively) quick succession if you want, but they'll reach only a couple of meters. A full-range shot requires much time. Having a shot prepared greatly reduces movement speed. Hence in close quarters the game heavily encourages melee weapons; bows are for sneaking up on stuff and getting in a surprising and powerful first strike.
OTOH whenever there's a "glitch" in the landscape where enemies can't reach you, players are quick to exploit it with the bow. Whenever and wherever the bow is a powerful tool, it punches a hole through the game design.

I've played Serious Sam. I've herded hundreds of these gallopping skeletons, always running in a backward circle, with sometimes just pistols, not taking a single hit for several minutes. Not because I'm super-skilled, but because that's what you have to do, on many occasions, to beat the game. Given a little training, people can learn to do such crazy things, as everyone who played and beat SeSam 1, or even one of its successors, can attest. In Gothic 3 it's just impossible by design to so totally dominate wildlife, and IMO for good reasons.

This is another fine opportunity to recommend Ratchet&Clank 3 btw. It's very Western, it's humorous sci-fi, it has mostly guns, just one very basic melee attack (the wrench) and the character can only wear one upgradeable piece of armor which is bought in a central hub (so there goes inventory management). So there's no strong RPGish feel to it. But every single gun can (individually) level up with use, plus your character levels up ... with use :D
He gets more "hit points" for amassing certain amounts of "experience points" which he gets for killing lots of baddies. Likewise he can dish out more punishment after training with The Weapon for a while. See? There's a form of money in the game, which is used for new weapons, new armor, ammo refills, and ship customization. Most of the time just ammo refills.

What your talking about sounds like ES: Oblivion, set in the future and with guns..

I think the majority of developers haven't done it because the markets for the two genres are so far apart..

From speaking to alot of people who play video games I tend to see a general trend in that people who are all about FPSs generally hate RPSs & vice versa.. Maybe its related to the contrast between the constant, flowing action of a FPS and the much slower-paced tactical, strategy, micro-management and thought-driven gameplay of RPGs..?

What your talking about sounds like ES: Oblivion, set in the future and with guns..

I think the majority of developers haven't done it because the markets for the two genres are so far apart..

From speaking to alot of people who play video games I tend to see a general trend in that people who are all about FPSs generally hate RPSs & vice versa.. Maybe its related to the contrast between the constant, flowing action of a FPS and the much slower-paced tactical, strategy, micro-management and thought-driven gameplay of RPGs..?

I dunno, Oblivion's combat engine is pretty simple. I think Joshua Luna (wth, Acert is easier to type!) is, or at least I am, more thinking of a complex engine where combat isn't just a turn it on and be in range -- more of a God of War or Heavenly Sword or Ninja Gaiden type combat, where you don't feel like you're playing a graphical game of dice, but rather actually controlling a character and choosing to attack when you want and how you want with a variety of combos and skills. Most RPG's combat engines are very time based (even the "real time" ones), there are down timers on skills, refresh timers on spells, delay on weapons and such -- it's very much a numbers game (which is not bad, don't get me wrong), but it lacks the same feeling as a normal action game. Of course GoW/NG/HS are a numbers game, but they cover it up a lot better -- it likely has a lot to do with the roots of RPGs being number games at heart and not really making much effort, until recently, to hide it.

I would absolutely love an RPG with the combat system of an action game. Oblivion's combat, while better than a lot of RPGs, is still way simpler and more confined feeling than something like a normal action game in the line of HS/NG/GoW.

@Scooby/Ban25 -- those are definitely looking like good choices (and I'll be grabbing both!), but I'd really rather see a it done with an action game and not an FPS, personally -- nice to see them branching out a bit, but I'd like to see something like Final Fantasy's RPG stat whoring + HS/GoW2's combat engines or something similar. A lot of action games have a small amount of RPG in them (character build up), but not nearly enough -- I'd like the full character build up of Oblivion or FF12 or something similarly complex mixed with combat engine that is complex and fluid feeling. Maybe it's asking too much, but I'd love to see it!

I dunno, Oblivion's combat engine is pretty simple. I think Joshua Luna (wth, Acert is easier to type!) is, or at least I am, more thinking of a complex engine where combat isn't just a turn it on and be in range -- more of a God of War or Heavenly Sword or Ninja Gaiden type combat, where you don't feel like you're playing a graphical game of dice, but rather actually controlling a character and choosing to attack when you want and how you want with a variety of combos and skills. Most RPG's combat engines are very time based (even the "real time" ones), there are down timers on skills, refresh timers on spells, delay on weapons and such -- it's very much a numbers game (which is not bad, don't get me wrong), but it lacks the same feeling as a normal action game. Of course GoW/NG/HS are a numbers game, but they cover it up a lot better -- it likely has a lot to do with the roots of RPGs being number games at heart and not really making much effort, until recently, to hide it.

I would absolutely love an RPG with the combat system of an action game. Oblivion's combat, while better than a lot of RPGs, is still way simpler and more confined feeling than something like a normal action game in the line of HS/NG/GoW.

@Scooby/Ban25 -- those are definitely looking like good choices (and I'll be grabbing both!), but I'd really rather see a it done with an action game and not an FPS, personally -- nice to see them branching out a bit, but I'd like to see something like Final Fantasy's RPG stat whoring + HS/GoW2's combat engines or something similar. A lot of action games have a small amount of RPG in them (character build up), but not nearly enough -- I'd like the full character build up of Oblivion or FF12 or something similarly complex mixed with combat engine that is complex and fluid feeling. Maybe it's asking too much, but I'd love to see it!

Kingdom Hearts? :D

Kingdom Hearts? :D

Heh, you know, I just thought about that!

See, Kingdom Hearts is a good start, but it still is way light on both aspects (although it works just fine for KH, as I'm not really sure a complex RPG/Fighting system would really work with the style of the game), which is kind of the problem we see today with these kinds of action RPGs -- they are too light on one or both sides, which is kind of saddening, because there is definitely still a fantastic experience waiting to be found. It seems like Jade Empire style game would be where a true action game + a true RPG would really work great.

This topic has sort of gone far off the OP, but it's actually a lot more interesting and makes for better discussion.

It made me kind of curious about other possible genre mixes... Will they face the same issues (or are they? what other genre mixes are there?) that action/fps RPGs are?

IGN tracks what online gamers are clicking on and adding to their wishlists:

http://www.gamestats.com/index/gpm/playstation-3.html

You'll notice that HS isn't even in the top 20 for PS3 games, let alone across all platforms.

Checks list and picks out titles:

10. Def Jam: Icon
11. F.E.A.R.
12. NBA Street Homecourt
Having these 3 games gain a higher wishlist count than HS.....ouch!

18. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Hooray on people relying on popular franchises :rolleyes:

This had to be the ultimate insult to injury :LOL: . Not only beating HS, but looking at the list, it topped out many anticipated titles also :oops:

Idk what ign users are smoking, but whatever it is, I want some :LOL:

Back