Most anticipated games of 2007 (Gametrailers link)

In most of the 2007 lists for PS3 games you always find the "classic" ones, but to me the most anticipated games (PS3) of 2007 (if they are released in 2007 that is) are the ones were we haven't heard much from yet. Ratchet and Clank, Naughty Dog's game, what is Succer Punch (Sly) up to, when will we see Tekken 6, is the ICO/SOTC team making something that will be released in 2007, Killzone, what happend to The Getaway and 8 Days, how is Afrika doing, is Warhawk working out with the extra dev time and will there come a new GTHD Concept demo? ...

So many games that have to be revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
In most of the 2007 lists for PS3 games you always find the "classic" ones, but to me the most anticipated games (PS3) of 2007 (if they are released in 2007 that is) are the ones were we haven't heard much from yet. Ratchet and Clank, Naughty Dog's game, what is Succer Punch (Sly) up to, when will we see Tekken 6, is the ICO/SOTC team making something that will be released in 2007, Killzone, what happend to The Getaway and 8 Days, how is Afrika doing and will there come an new GTHD Concept demo? ...

So many games that have to be revealed.

good points. I think Afrika will be exemplary if they work out the gameplay mechanics as well as Ratchet and clank if its close to the CG vid.

Is Killzone coming out this year? (wait, why the hell am I all of a sudden thinking its slated for 08 :???: )

Tekken is another game that im anticipating. Lack of info ftl :mad: :cry: , but hopefully new info(or demo) at E3 this year :D

And yeah, theres too many anticipated games to list :LOL: . But all I know is, 2007 is a great year for games, movies, and music(for me anyway :p )

Is Bioshock only slated for the 360 or will it also hit the PC (I want it now).
MGS4 will surely be great but I don't know if it is worth paying 660USD for.
Mario Galaxy looks interesting.
There will be a Zelda (continuation of Wind Waker) coming out for N DS.

p.s. The Ueda team (SOTC/Ico) seems to take a minimum of three years to come out with games. Don't expect anything from them for this year.

Is Smash brothers brawl on the list? If it isn't it should be, that's in my top 5 too! I can't visit the site here.

The lack of Heavenly Sword seems strange... it's definitely in my top 5 most anticipated list for this year, and I think it's definitely in a lot of peoples anticipated list too.

A lot of the titles Mr Domino mentioned are definitely on my list, but I'm not sure they'll be out in '07 (at least most of them likely won't).

Can't say I agree with everything on that list, but it's definately another great year for gaming.

The lack of Heavenly Sword seems strange... it's definitely in my top 5 most anticipated list for this year, and I think it's definitely in a lot of peoples anticipated list too.

Well, no trailers... no pictures... no hands on impressions = no hype
Thats why its not strange.

But, GTAIV made the list and compared to HS, that game doesnt have anything, whether screenshots, news, videos, whatsoever :p :LOL: ;)

But I understand the "hype" factor between HS and GTAIV, which is why GTA gets a spot and HS doesnt :cry:

Yeah, but for a person working at a website who's paying attention to game releases, I don't see any reason it wouldn't be on the list.

We know it's coming this year and everything we've seen from it has been fantastic (we have seen real demonstrations of it, with lots of people playing it, so it's not like it's still some sort of mystery game). If it was a case that we hadn't seen anything of the game besides an initial trailer (like the Naughty dog game or the new ratchet, for example), then I'd agree with you.

Yeah, but for a person working at a website who's paying attention to game releases, I don't see any reason it wouldn't be on the list.

Because they're not anticipating it as much as the ten games that made the list?

One thing I noticed, I wonder how many of those games dont even make 2k7. MGS4 I bet wont..kinda makes the list stupid.

It was my polite way of saying "they have a bunch of retards working there for missing that one!"

Why? The level of anticipation surrounding Heavenly Sword does not seem to be anywere near some of the other games mentioned on that list. Games like Halo, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots, Crysis, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy, etc have all received far more media coverage and hype than Heavenly Sword. At this point in time, with how little coverage the game has received I really cannot find a reason to justify Heavenly Sword appearing on a Most Anticipated Games of 2007 list.

Why? The level of anticipation surrounding Heavenly Sword does not seem to be anywere near some of the other games mentioned on that list. Games like Halo, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots, Crysis, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy, etc have all received far more media coverage and hype than Heavenly Sword. At this point in time, with how little coverage the game has received I really cannot find a reason to justify Heavenly Sword appearing on a Most Anticipated Games of 2007 list.

Halo and MGS4 are about the only ones that for sure had more... the rest are more or less the same. Maybe you've not seen how many threads popped up about HS on various forums over the last year -- it surely had more hype and talk than things like Bioshock and Mass effect, and probably Super Mario Galaxy as well. Me thinks you have a short memory, as there was quite a bit of coverage on this game -- hell, we've seen parts of it playable publically, which is more than Crysis, Mass Effect and Bioshock had (SMG was playable at E3, iirc). There hasn't been much news/screenshots/vids/etc. recently, but to say those games had more far media attention/hype/anticipation/etc. behind them seems rather silly to me!

It's an opinion of gametrailers and I realize that, but it doesn't mean I agree with it (and judging by posts on other forums, I'm not alone in wondering where HS was in the list), and I'm not quite sure why people are trying to justify it.

I'm kind of shocked there are three posts defending the lack of HS, actually. Especially when two of them claim there hasn't been much coverage of the game -- are people's memories that short? ...Maybe that's the problem.

Halo and MGS4 are about the only ones that for sure had more... the rest are more or less the same. Maybe you've not seen how many threads popped up about HS on various forums over the last year -- it surely had more hype and talk than things like Bioshock and Mass effect, and probably Super Mario Galaxy as well. Me thinks you have a short memory, as there was quite a bit of coverage on this game -- hell, we've seen parts of it playable publically, which is more than Crysis, Mass Effect and Bioshock had (SMG was playable at E3, iirc). There hasn't been much news/screenshots/vids/etc. recently, but to say those games had more far media attention/hype/anticipation/etc. behind them seems rather silly to me!

It's an opinion of gametrailers and I realize that, but it doesn't mean I agree with it (and judging by posts on other forums, I'm not alone in wondering where HS was in the list), and I'm not quite sure why people are trying to justify it.

I'm kind of shocked there are three posts defending the lack of HS, actually. Especially when two of them claim there hasn't been much coverage of the game -- are people's memories that short? ...Maybe that's the problem.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a most anticipated list HS IS on among mainstream game media.

It's def one of my most anticipated, but it's probably way over-represented on here.

I have even heard people say the playable build at E3 was terrible..

Edit: IGN has their most anticipated broken down by editor, so it's not an overall list, but I checked the 3 PS3 editors, two had it 8th, and it wasn't on the third's top ten list. And that's just the PS3 editors.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/757/757539p1.html

There was more gameplay footage shown of all these games than HS - Bioshock had a 15 minutes long gameplay presentation, Mass Effect was shown several times, Crysis was also playable on last E3 and CES. We've seen only a very short arena level demo from HS. And there is huge anticipation on forums for Bioshock, Mass Effect etc.

It's obvious that in order to fit in Top 10 2007 you have to not include several interesting titles and this year it means tons of potentially awesome games. Heavenly Sword isn't the only one that wasn't present on the list, I could also name these games:
-Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway
-The Darkness
-Forza Motorsport 2
-Burnout 5
-God of War 2
-Banjo 3 (sequel of the best platformer ever :D)
-Virtua Fighter 5
and so on...

No, it's Sony's fault really. They have gone silent on HS, and other than a demo at E3 and TGS, and a trailer at the previous E3, the media for the game has been extremely scarce. What fraction of gamers attended E3 or TGS? < 1 %?

It's hard to put it in the top 10 most anticipated games when the majority of casual gamers have no clue what the games about, or even what genre it is.

Bioshock, Mass Effect etc have all had huge magazine spreads, many interviews, many screenshots released on a regular basis, downloadable trailers/demo's on XBLive, all kinds of stuff. What has HS ever had that made it directly to the casual consumer?

HS is certainly one of my most anticipated games, but I can't blame them for not putting it on the list, if it was supposed to rank consumer anticipation rather than their own personal outlook.

If you leave B3D, there is simply no hype for HS. It just be the best game no one played for 2007 if Sony don't pull their finger out.

it surely had more hype and talk than things like Bioshock and Mass effect, and probably Super Mario Galaxy as well.

:oops:

Bioshock and Mass Effect walked away with a number of "Best of E3" awards and have quite a bit of momentum. And a significant difference between the 3 games you mentions in contrast to Heavenly Sword would be this: The 3 developers have all delivered critically successful games in the past. Ninja Theory is a newer developer. Not a dig on NT (new guys can show the old dogs how it should be done quite often), only that on a barometer the newer unproven studio will have a difficult time getting the mindshare away from companies like Nintendo and BioWare.

A lot of games have shown potential -- immesne at that -- and still flopped. One of the things you look at when anticipating a game is, "Can the developer really deliver a complete package that is polished and balanced?" Companies like BioWare and Nintendo have looong reputations of doing exactly this, so for some -- as game preference/anticipation is a taste issue -- it will be far easier to anticipate a game from a proven developer than a game from a newer developer.

Me thinks you have a short memory, as there was quite a bit of coverage on this game -- hell, we've seen parts of it playable publically, which is more than Crysis, Mass Effect and Bioshock had (SMG was playable at E3, iirc).

And to someone in the press, who has played the games behind closed doors, would shrug their shoulders. It is the difference between cosumers seeing a consumer playable demo and a industry professional having more access.

There hasn't been much news/screenshots/vids/etc. recently, but to say those games had more far media attention/hype/anticipation/etc. behind them seems rather silly to me!

Major media sites have been covering Mass Effect and Bioshock with a steady stream of media since early last year (fall 2005 even for Mass Effect).

And

"Recently" for Heavenly Sword is putting it mildly. There was the playable E3 demo, but beyond that there has been little media. When was the last bunch of updated screenshots showing the games progress? A handfull in September -- 4 months ago. Before that we had a couple handfuls in July, and a couple in June. Some media from E3 2006 where there was a limited demo, and then you stretch back to E3 2005. http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/700/700186/imgs_1.html

I think the problem is that in your anticipation of the game you are inflating your memory! And to do so you are doing the same things to Mario, ME, and Bioshock that you feel is unfair to HS.

I wouldn't say there has been a lot of media for any of the 4 games you are debating, but I have seen a LOT more gameplay of Mass Effect and Bioshock than I have of Heavenly Sword. I have seen how Mass Effect's dialogue system works in detail as well as a couple various combat situations and demonstrations of various technologies. Bioshock had a lengthy video demo demonstrating the back story in detail, the basic principles of the game, and showing how the user will interface in the world and how making decisions is a focus of the gameplay. This on top of showing off a number of enemies and technologies.

Having watched a good deal (all?) of the footage for HS, ME, and Bioshock I would say IMHO that I know a LOT more about the general direction the two MS titles is going, especially in terms of actual gameplay and the direction the game is going in terms of new features and mechanics and user interactivity.

I absolutely can see how a gamer or someone in the press could have Mass Effect in their top 10 and leave out Heavenly Sword. Mass Effect comes from BioWare (!), won a number of E3 2006 awards, and has had a bit of media and gameplay footage.

And this coming from someone who is hating the ME pseudo FPS (make it a real FPS for combat!! darn it!) and is much more excited for the combat system Ninja Theory has demonstrated at E3. I have never played a BioWare of Ninja Theory game and don't own either of the consoles, but I think the "lack of media" is a valid point as well as the reality that proven franchises (Halos, GTAs) typically are the most anticipated, followed by new IPs from well established developers. Then followed by the new IPs from newer developers.

The 'new guys' need to do something to totally distinguish themselves to make these sort of lists... like release a demo over the PS3 network ( :p I am dreaming ) or at least -- minimum! --release a steady stream of weekly content updates (movies, screenshots, 3D screenshots) and combind it with a powerful weekly community blog that highlights all the little things that make the game special and advancements in the dev process. Sign up for an IGN blog and do monthly blogs there, and most importantly start leaking cool techy info and shots to certain tech gaming sites to get even more exposure, word of mouth, and such ;)

Back