More problems with my recently built rig...

So I got the replies from ecs/artic silver.

artic silver said I should use a hair dryer too. But it turns out taking out a 512MB stick allowed dual-channel to function and the heat increase allowed me to remove the heatsink(after turning off and unplugging of course.). It was a bit tricky about 3-5min of slightly moving side to side and slightly pulling. I've cleaned it with alcohol95% and cred-card, and I've re-applied some silver5 and remounted the heatsink. Comp ran fine after that

Now what's happened is I installed java so as to be able to install some other s/w. I also accidentally re-updated the nvdrivers. After that the boot-time slowed down to a couple of mins, and wouldn't go past the logon screen.

So I took another hdd with xp from an older machine I had, and everything was running fine and dandy, till I installed the m/b drivers or maybe the nv drivers or the sp2.

After that I got 2min boot-up time, and if I run certain applications I get a machine_check_exemption. I've used memtest(over 100%scan on both GB sticks) and got no errors. I'd prefer to fix the current installation and not've to reinstall the stuff.

I still have the hdd with the other xp in my rig, I've disabled it(still accessible) just in case, but still no a go go.

Any clues?(recently changed latency to cas3 on setup screen, and primary display device from pci to pciexpress. Still keeps bsod'ing me, and slow booting. :devilish: )

Could you check the Windows logbooks? They can probably tell you what's wrong.

DiGuru said:
Could you check the Windows logbooks? They can probably tell you what's wrong.

This is the info in startup programs(I've edited out the numbers in the line third from last.)

DESKTOP desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
DESKTOP desktop.ini LAVOS\Lavos Startup
DESKTOP desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
DESKTOP desktop.ini All Users Common Startup
DPAgnt c:\program files\digitalpersona\bin\dpagnt.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HotKeysCmds c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
IgfxTray c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
NvCplDaemon rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll,nvstartup All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
NvMediaCenter rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\nvmctray.dll,nvtaskbarinit All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Reboot reboot.exe LAVOS\Lavos Startup
TI WLAN c:\program files\zyxel\g-302v2\g-302v2.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
ctfmon.exe c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe LAVOS\Lavos HKU\S-*****-8\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
nTrayFw c:\program files\nvidia corporation\networkaccessmanager\bin\ntrayfw.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
pccguide.exe "c:\program files\trend micro\internet security 2005\pccguide.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

The boot info:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

The event viewer shows errors that indicate the "default permission setting do not grant local activation permission for the COM server application with clsid. I've attempted to do what's recommended in the help-menu that popped up when I clicked the error, I'll've to check to see if that fixes the boot slowdown problem

huh those "almost working" sysyems are the worst, don't know what to do to get them going properly again or to throw the whole thing into the rubbish bin and buy new stuff :devilish:

as xxx asked what is LAVOS? you could try to disable all startup programs for example as well, just to see whether it is going to make any difference with msconfig. apart from that how is it booting into the safe mode?

That should help first, if it is all right there than it is only some non-essential layer of software. So the only way to solution is most likely to try installing again, to determing what sofware makes your comp crawl, after that just try to avoid it if it works, but likely if it is some hardware related problem it will be coming up now and again in different guises.

How long have you been running memtest. I think an overnight run is necessary (6hrs+) to find out that mem is really OK. And if it is not memory, (as I didn't read previous thread) it might be som kind of mobo short with AS etc... you mentioned arctic silver and cleaning on the top. can you replace the motherboard with the warranty or something similar?

Other than that you will have to isolate the software that seems to cause the slowdowns and crashes. Use different (working?) version if it is gfx/mobo drivers, but I guess you know all that anyhow.

Druga Runda said:
huh those "almost working" sysyems are the worst, don't know what to do to get them going properly again or to throw the whole thing into the rubbish bin and buy new stuff :devilish:

as xxx asked what is LAVOS? you could try to disable all startup programs for example as well, just to see whether it is going to make any difference with msconfig. apart from that how is it booting into the safe mode?

That should help first, if it is all right there than it is only some non-essential layer of software. So the only way to solution is most likely to try installing again, to determing what sofware makes your comp crawl, after that just try to avoid it if it works, but likely if it is some hardware related problem it will be coming up now and again in different guises.

How long have you been running memtest. I think an overnight run is necessary (6hrs+) to find out that mem is really OK. And if it is not memory, (as I didn't read previous thread) it might be som kind of mobo short with AS etc... you mentioned arctic silver and cleaning on the top. can you replace the motherboard with the warranty or something similar?

Other than that you will have to isolate the software that seems to cause the slowdowns and crashes. Use different (working?) version if it is gfx/mobo drivers, but I guess you know all that anyhow.

I ran memtest for about an hour with zero errors, though, I'll try 6+hrs later on.

The blue screen no longer occurs, after using a few registry repair s/w demos. The hdd I'm using(which is an old 16gig hdd from a budget dell with windows on it as said.) is from an old-dell with substantial slowdown, I thought cleaning and defraging it would make it run better without having to reinstall winxp or dealing with the drivers in my other new-HDD(as it initially did, boot up was decent.).

Tried scanning, and neither trendmicro nor ad-aware found anything.

Safe mode boots in 640rez and it does take some time to start too. I've tried various tune-ups and while things windows/menus open blazingly fast the boot's still slow.

I'll try deleting none-essential stuff from one of my new-HDDs and passing the rest of the stuff on to my other new-hdd, after that I think I may have to do to the tedious task of formatting both the old and one of the new hdds and reinstalling xp.

PS

There's a very weird thing going on in the old hdd, the defragger shows large chunks of unmovable files, and even large chunks of fragmented files, also it seems to fragment massively after booting/installing or uninstalling even a single app.

Alstrong said:
Did you try getting rid of the nVidia drivers?
The latest nforce drivers? not yet.

But I'll keep that in mind for my reinstall(if my reinstalled winxp's problems I'll take-off the latest nv-drivers.). I'm thinking on simply disconnecting the 16gig HD for the moment, and leaving it be there until I'm sure the reinstalled winxp is functioning nice and dandy.

Found out the cause of the problem.

The nvforce firewall drivers seem to cause part of the slowdown, the other part of the problem was my hi-val dvdx16, it appears there's an issue using a usb1.0(it took me a while to get windows to see this m/b has usb2.0).

It appears that if I set it to one HDD "auto" detect, and the second(slave) to "none" in the setup(at startup) windows boots even faster(one tick of the log bar) and it still recognizes the second HDD. Any problem with doing so and leaving it like that or should I leave the second as slave?

Back