HDR Monitor too bright

I was confused since in HDR mode there are no brightness or color settings that function on the monitor.
thats what im confused with. the brightness slider on the monitor should be able to cap the max brightness and tonemap everything to the lower brightness.

thats what im confused with. the brightness slider on the monitor should be able to cap the max brightness and tonemap everything to the lower brightness.
You can't adjust the brightness or anything when it's getting a HDR signal. Only thing you can adjust is the amount of local dimming. It makes sense to me. If the monitor was changing things, the calibration in Windows would become useless.

You can't adjust the brightness or anything when it's getting a HDR signal. Only thing you can adjust is the amount of local dimming. It makes sense to me. If the monitor was changing things, the calibration in Windows would become useless.

Ah I see. so it's different to LG CX OLED I have. On lg CX OLED, I can manually cap the max hdr brightness, and it automatically tone maps to that new lower brightness.

So no need to do a new calibration.

Makes sense for an oled to let you cap the brightness because of burn in
I think it made sense for all kinds of displays to be able to cap max hdr brightness

But maybe it's hard to do in software? Even Google pixel with native hdr display and native hdr (jpeg_r) photo have the same issue as @homerdog display, where hdr automatically became blinding bright

I think it made sense for all kinds of displays to be able to cap max hdr brightness

But maybe it's hard to do in software? Even Google pixel with native hdr display and native hdr (jpeg_r) photo have the same issue as @homerdog display, where hdr automatically became blinding bright
It's not bad to have the option but I think it's better to do it in the application. If they display does it wouldn't it clip the hell out of bright content?

I know. I'm using it on a game that doesn't support HDR.

BTW I got RTX HDR and DSR working together just fine. I had to change my desktop resolution to the DSR resolution and use borderless windowed mode.

My mistake, I thought you meant you were trying to apply Auto HDR and RTX HDR to youtube HDR videos.

It's not bad to have the option but I think it's better to do it in the application. If they display does it wouldn't it clip the hell out of bright content?
it properly tone maps everything to the lower brightness, so it doesnt clip things to hell

it doesnt explain why phones having trouble in mapping HDR to lower brightness while TV doesnt

I gamed mainly at night and the mini-LED monitor I had were brutal at max brightness.

The OLED monitors I had were better and more comfortable to view in the dark as they were less than half as bright.

But gaming during the day or with a decent amount of ambient light, the mini LED monitors I had produced an HDR experience the OLED's simply couldn't match.

it doesnt explain why phones having trouble in mapping HDR to lower brightness while TV doesnt

TVs aren't just displays (and even displays aren't just displays as in just strictly passing through input data). Premium TVs, as mention in the article, come with very complex processors that manipulate the input signal.

Back