More Nv-30 speculation !!

I know,I know there are already enough Nv-30 threads but you got to admit there hasn't been this much enthusiasm about videocard architechtures all year.

Anyway,more specuation here.It's sort of interesting that they mention Nv-30 won't feature DDR-II.

I wonder if they're actually going to have finished silicon ready in time for Comdex or if they're just going to try to hide the IKOS machine inside the case.

"Hey, that's a pretty big bulge in that case there?" Nvidia Rep: "Uhh...the NV30 is just happy to see you..."

This phrase makes me think that when the sun rises in Las Vegas on November 18, so does the NV30.

I should also remind you that according to the unofficial information, NV30 based graphics cards will be available for sale almost right after the announcement.

Um... right. NV30 boards will be available for sale in November... sure.

That kind of answers one question for me, if correct. Will there be an immediate mid-range NV30 or will we have to wait for months like with the Gf3 and Gf4. If the 9500 is a good solution I assumed nVidia would ahve to respond with a mid-range NV30, but if yields are low how can they do this?

Hopefully my end November I wil be clear as to what my Christmas present to myself will be, or if indeed it will be a New Year present!

The information I have on their mid-range NV30 derivative (NV31) is not as solid, but my understanding is that it's right on the heels of NV30. In other words, it will be taping out in the next couple of weeks. Based on what I know of the design cycle, this doesn't make sense to me, so take it with a grain of salt.

Could we see the unthinkable happening and the mainstream DX9 card (NV31) actually arrive before the NV30 Performance card?
;)
This would be quite amusing but, in a strange way, better for the consumer as more people are likely to buy the mid-range part.

It's a bit like the rumours about the refresh of the Voodoo 5 been delayed so long that Rampage was almost ready first!

I think you're not the only one who feels reminded of the whole 3dfx fiasco right now. If this piece gets delayed any longer they might as well skip NV30 and go straight for NV35... ;)

It also reminds me of 3dfx since using 3dfx's tech might have been a very good idea, considering how far Rampage was.

Anyway, I read an ininterview time ago where someone from nVidia sayd that they had always fucused too much on fps, but were going to change that now. It seems to me like admitting that the piece isn't extremely fast.

But has anyone read the same article? I've been looking for it for some time now, can't find it anymore.

Maybe they did integrate a lot of the existing 3dfx technology, and that is why they have been delayed so much ;)

Pussycat said:
It also reminds me of 3dfx since using 3dfx's tech might have been a very good idea, considering how far Rampage was.

Anyway, I read an ininterview time ago where someone from nVidia sayd that they had always fucused too much on fps, but were going to change that now. It seems to me like admitting that the piece isn't extremely fast.

But has anyone read the same article? I've been looking for it for some time now, can't find it anymore.

Yeah - I remember the one you're on about. They also stated they'd focused too much on non AA'd rendering as well, from now on everything will be optimised for AA so we can expect a v small performance cost.

yeah, if NV30 has alot of 3Dfx Rampage technology, well, its probably no wonder that NV30 is taking a long time to get released.

Hopefully with Nvidia's professionalism and track record of getting good things released as a reality every 6-12 months (12 months for the last 2 years) rather than endless promises (3Dfx, Bitboys) we will see the fruits of their labor by December..

NV35 will be more than just a speed bin. weather it comes out next spring or next fall is another matter entirely. NVidia might produce a faster, speed binned NV30 and use DDRII, if the first release of NV30 isnt using DDRII, but to say that NV35 would be just a speed bin is most likely wrong. Nvidia hasnt produced a speed binned chip that has a different chip designation. If you look at GeForce3 Ti 500 as an example, it was a speed binned chip, however it was still NV20, not NV25. Anther example, The GeForce2 GTS (NV15) was not a speed binned GeForce (NV10) they were different cores. (though the same basic architecture) -

I suppose the upcoming NV28 is just a speed binned NV25 with AGP 8x but that remains to be seen (i havent kept up to date on NV28, perhaps im off the mark there)

Another possible senareo is that if NV30 is only 128-bit and/or DDRI - (NV31 mainstream as well) then perhaps NV35 would be 256-bit + DDRII

Yeah, it sure looks like the nv30 got a health helping of 3dfx's patented "Delay-o-Tron" technology.
Gah, i dont get all the babel about 3dfx tech. It might have been good coming out when it was meant to, but why does everyone assume that no one else had as good tech? And that 3dfx tech is so good that even after an extra year+ of delay, its still better than anythign else?
Talk about martyrdom.

I agree. Rampage was going to be a DX8 part with PS and VS 1.0, thats less than the gf3. The only 3dfx tech I can see in nvidia is too many refreshes and too many delays leading to a possible too little too late which we really don't want unless we want to pay £350+ for gfx cards :-?

Althornin said:
Yeah, it sure looks like the nv30 got a health helping of 3dfx's patented "Delay-o-Tron" technology.
Gah, i dont get all the babel about 3dfx tech.

Same here.

[3dfxfanboys flame me here]

at end they needed a multichip solution to make a decent card, vs single chip from NV/ATI, blah :rolleyes:

[/3dfxfanboys flame me here]

It might have been good coming out when it was meant to, but why does everyone assume that no one else had as good tech? And that 3dfx tech is so good that even after an extra year+ of delay, its still better than anythign else?

Also known as "Fanboysm"? ;)

at end they needed a multichip solution to make a decent card, vs single chip from NV/ATI, blah

Rage Fury MAXX anyone? ;)

edit: by the way the rampage references are mostly to be considered as jokes. In reality what delays/delayed NV30 is the manufacturing process. If anyone believes stuff like last minute 6pipe to 8pipe switches in the architecture then so be it heh.

Nonetheless as much as you might not like hearing it, there are valuable patents/ideas already put to good use as early as in NV25 from ported technology.

Back