Monitor problems?

Manvol

Newcomer
I'm of the very few guys left with a 17' CRT. I have the 107B4 Philips model. The last 3 years (starting Sept 03) I owned this monitor, I never had a problem (technical or otherwise). Colors are excellent and the same is true for brightness and contrast.

Until now. The last few days, and at some times (not always) the lower 1/4 of the screen, appears to give a slight tremble on the image. The tremble when it appears make the monitor very hard to look at, very tiresome, although the tremble is not visible, say from 2meters distance, but only from a near sitting to the monitor. :oops:

I have to note that I worked the monitor at 1024@100Hz from day one. Maybe that is the cause of the problem. I think Philips suggested 1024@85Hz, but that was a tiresome refresh rate for me so I switched to 100Hz using ReForce. Now the tremble occasionally appears even at 1280@85Hz, and other resolutions too. :cry:

Any ideas? Anyone had problems like that with their CRTs? Do you think it's time I move on to a TFT, although I don't plan an upgrade for the system at least for another year?

(A64@2.4, 6800GT, 1GB)

Last edited by a moderator:
1024 @ 100Hz should not be too much of a problem for a modern monitor.

It would probably be worth contacting Phillips, to see if it can be repared, it definatly sounds like it is on it's way out. Try it on a few other modes/refresh rates first, also try it on another computer and with another VGA cable just to rule out other causes. Once you have ruled out everything but the monitor then contact Phillips, if it is in warranty then they should fix/replace it, if not then they may be able to fix it quite cheaply (compared to the cost of a new monitor).

CC

Back