monitor problems. :( :(

So my kinda old monitor has a new thing it likes to do. You know how the screen flashes and (on some monitors) makes a noise when you change resolutions w/o restarting in windoze? Well, my monitor seems to be flashing, making a noise, and resizing to have the image be just bigger than the screen. It's like the horiz/vert settings for the monitor are messed up or something. It stays that way for ~10 min, then goes back to the (set w/ the monitor's Horiz/vert sizing) size it has been forever.

It has done this for 2 years w/ 3 different video cards (gf3, 9600, 9800xt), so it's not the card maybe once a month. It recently has been doing this more and more.

My questions are:

1. How much longer can I eeek out of this monitor (if anyone can "predict" this)

2. Is there a possiblity of messing my video card w/ this monitor? (yikes! :oops: )

Thanks

accidentalsuccess said:
So my kinda old monitor has a new thing it likes to do. You know how the screen flashes and (on some monitors) makes a noise when you change resolutions w/o restarting in windoze? Well, my monitor seems to be flashing, making a noise, and resizing to have the image be just bigger than the screen. It's like the horiz/vert settings for the monitor are messed up or something. It stays that way for ~10 min, then goes back to the (set w/ the monitor's Horiz/vert sizing) size it has been forever.

It has done this for 2 years w/ 3 different video cards (gf3, 9600, 9800xt), so it's not the card maybe once a month. It recently has been doing this more and more.

My questions are:

1. How much longer can I eeek out of this monitor (if anyone can "predict" this)

2. Is there a possiblity of messing my video card w/ this monitor? (yikes! :oops: )

Thanks

1 - Who knows .. everything is possible.

2 - Dunno .. Who knows ? Prolly not.

3 - Get a new monitor !

RainZ

i was hoping to make it another paycheck, at least. :/

I am surprised at how cheap a fantastic CRT monitor is these days. Thank you, LCD's. ;) :D

After a morning of poking around online. . .

Helloooo 1600x1200 desktop @ 75HZ. . . . ohhhhhhhhh.

8)

accidentalsuccess said:

My questions are:

Thanks

I had something similar on an old monitor. It looked like the screen was losing sync, but it was actually the the monitor flickering off mometarily and then resyncing up as it came back on. Over a period of a year it gradually got worse until it was happening every couple of minutes, and the problem was tracked down to a dying PSU in the monitor.

hmmmmmmmmm.. . . .so in theory I could fix it. ..but I know monitors/TV's have pretty big and dangerous caps in there. . .gah.

Did you fix it/get it fixed or just junk it?

accidentalsuccess said:
hmmmmmmmmm.. . . .so in theory I could fix it. ..but I know monitors/TV's have pretty big and dangerous caps in there. . .gah.

Well cant answer for him but i can say .. These days with the prices of the CRT monitors .. It will prolly cost you more to repair it :?

RainZ

maybe I'll repair the PSU for fun, but yeah. . .guess I'm going monitor hunting.

I think that I'm going to go to brick'n'mortar 'cause even w/ free shipping from newegg if you ever have to RMA it. . .OMG. 50lbs. $30 difference in price isn't worth it.

Don't know about other mfgs, but Iiyama will collect from your door. If one goes bad, they will drop a replacement with you and take yours away within 24 hrs. Most of their monitors have a full 3 years of this.

Truly superb service in every respect.

I'm not so familiar with the brand. Is it better/on par with viewsonic's pro series? The "low end" Iiyama 19" and "pro" 17" are about the same price. . .

I don't know because I've not bought anything but Iiyama CRT's for the last five years.

Had about 10 altogether and they've all been very good. I would recommend their AG (Diamondtron) screens over the FST by quite a way, though.

accidentalsuccess said:

Yep - they carry a big enough charge to kill you if you don't know what you are doing. A guy I worked with used to repair monitors for a living, and he got put into hospital with an erratic heartbeat for a day after making a mistake with a monitor - and that was when the average monitor was 15 inch.

accidentalsuccess said:

It was just outside warrently when it finally got unbearably bad. I tried to get it fixed locally, but they couldn't get the parts. I could have had it shipped and repared at the manufacturer for half the cost of a bigger, newer monitor. I got the bigger newer model instead.

well, maybe I can donate it somewhere 'cause who knows, it might work for 10 more years or something. I just hate throwing out stuff that "kinda works" without at least trying to fix it. I'm not dumb enough to just crack it open and start poking w/o wiring diagrams, though.

I think tomorrow I'm grabbing a new monitor. My credit card companies must love me. I know they call to tell me that I am special and deserve ANOTHER card. . . :rolleyes:

I wanted to give MAG another whirl (this 10 yr old monitor is a mag innovision 17xx manufactured 9/94), but it seems that no one sells the high-end ones, even if they exist! They only list 2 retailers on their "where to buy" and neither has the higher end ones. I suppose they just make "mid-range" stuff for bestbuy and LCD's now.

/me shrugs.

Iiyama has all this "stuff" on their 454 that I don't need (usb/speakers/etc). The 454. . .19" that does 104Hz @ 1600x1200 :oops: The 455 looks nice, too. I think I have to spend some time thinking about this, as I was really leaning towards getting the 17" viewsonic pro monitor. But for $60 more (free shipping, too. . .) I can get an even BIGGER monitor w/ some sweeet refresh rates (75@1600x1200 is fine for desktop, and I doubt I'll be able to play games at that res, at least not the new ones. 8) If I'm going 19", the Iiyama is actually cheaper than the high-end viewsonic. . .too bad they don't seem to make their 17" anymore, then I could feel better about my bank account. . .ahhhh.

Advice? As you see, it has been 10 years since I bought a monitor so I'm a *little* out of the loop. I do know that I don't want lcd until the things hit 10ns and the 12ns $600 ones are completely out of my price range, anyways.

Thx

My rig, btw:
2400XP-mobile @ ~3400XP
9800XT
1 gig ram
HD, mouse, etc. :)

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
accidentalsuccess said:

Yep - they carry a big enough charge to kill you if you don't know what you are doing. A guy I worked with used to repair monitors for a living, and he got put into hospital with an erratic heartbeat for a day after making a mistake with a monitor - <snip>
That's what made working with the original Macs so exciting. :LOL:

I've got a 454 here and it's a great monitor - but like I said I don't know how it compares too well to other similar monitors.

Personally now I wouldn't ever buy another CRT - I've been using an 18" flat-panel on my living room PC for about two years and it's fantastic - but that's just me.

accidentalsuccess said:
Advice? As you see, it has been 10 years since I bought a monitor so I'm a *little* out of the loop. I do know that I don't want lcd until the things hit 10ns and the 12ns $600 ones are completely out of my price range, anyways.

Well I like LG and Samsung flatscreen CRTs. I'm not into LCDs because of cost, dead pixel issues, response time, resolution issues, etc. I'm just not willing to pay 2-3 times the amount to get a LCD that has worse performance than a CRT and have the manufacturer shrug his shoulders and say it's "within spec" when I try and send it back with a few dead pixels.

I can honestly say I've never seen a dead pixel on any of the four or five flatpanels I've used. But there you go.

As regards performance, it's wins and losses. My standalone panel is just perfect in terms of sharpness, colour reproduction and pure 'stability' - flicker and similar. I don't see significant ghosting on it, so I would call it a win overall. But that, again, is just me.

I'm thinking hard about the 455, as I can't really financially swing the 454. Also, $400 is getting close to LCD prices and I'm waiting until LCD's come down in cost. I just am not quite there financially (gg grad school ;) :D).

Thanks for the help all, I'll post up w/ the end result when I finally choose a monitor. 8)

My NEC FE950 is being lame by flashing white or just going blank for some time.

In anycase, that's been doing so for quite some time. I refuse to fix it since it costs 150 or so for the part (the brightness control screws up on Necs. NECs suck horribly, never buy!). I'm pretty sure my next monitor might be a refurbished dell 21inch with a trintron tube, it's not flat, but it's big with a good refresh rate so I likes the sound of that.

My NEC FP950 has worked fine for years. Just because you got a lemon doesn't mean all of them will have problems. How long have you had your FE? I've had mine for about 5 yrs now and used about 300 days a yr at 5 hrs per day average.

I've had another Nec die on me. But I"m starting to suspect my video card might be a monitor killer. Then again, I still think Necs are crap. My friend's work has plenty of them die and my brother's work is basically the same.

Back