MLB '09: The Show

Besides 3D demoes for GT5, Dark Void, Super Stardust, CES 2010 attendees also reported that they saw MLB The Show 2010 in 3D:

Digital Bits: http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents
I was skeptical at first, but from what I've seen so far (including a demo of MLB 10: The Show in 3D), I'm convinced that 3D gaming is going to be one of the biggest driving factors for the adoption of 3D technology. It's just damned cool.

Operation Sports: http://www.operationsports.com/foru...w-hands-impressions-ces-w-russell_scea-5.html

The fireworks was really cool, but seeing this game in 3D....I have to pause....takes my breath away! WOW this is a new level of realism! I felt I was inside the game. Looking at the stadium score board was like being at the stadium. My eyes are very sensitive, but I felt very comfortable viewing in 3D. I'm sold on 3D!

EDIT:
I was told one of the main drivers for 3D TV will be sports programming (because the difference will be the most noticeable). This is why all the major players jumped at sports broadcast/programming first.

Now I really want to try the new controller and 3D in MLB The Show 2010 -- *IF* they can make it happen together.

3D makes complete sense for a sports title as you'd be able to better judge something critical like distance and extrapolating from that approximate speed of movement of whatever you are tracking. Football, baseball, runner, etc. Rather than having to extrapolate purely based on size compared to background objects, you'll be able to more easily do it via proper depth perception.

Obviously will have more of an effect if the object you are trying to track is moving towards or away from you, versus moving side to side. But the depth preception will help with judging distance regardless.

I'm still not sold on 3D however. I've used various 3D gaming systems, and while it's a neat gimmick it wears thin with extended play.

Regards,
SB

How did they (The 3D systems you tried) implement the baseball gameplay ?

I am skeptical the depth perception will be useful (because it brings up the question of 1:1 eye-hand coordination and mapping). At this point, I think the sense of visual immersion and 3D audio may be sufficient to impress people.

The 3D batting and pitching mechanics may need more time to perfect. It would also help to control eye fatique if Sony moderates the 3D effect here. Not sure if people will feel giddy if they have to focus on the fast moving ball all the time. In the Avatar movie, they didn't show off the "in your face" 3D effects as well.

How did they (The 3D systems you tried) implement the baseball gameplay ?

I am skeptical the depth perception will be useful (because it brings up the question of 1:1 eye-hand coordination and mapping). At this point, I think the sense of visual immersion and 3D audio may be sufficient to impress people.

The 3D batting and pitching mechanics may need more time to perfect. It would also help to control eye fatique. Not sure if people will feel giddy if they have to focus on the fast moving ball all the time. In the Avatar movie, they didn't show off the "in your face" 3D effects as well.

Well, at the time when I was experimenting with those systems, it was mostly first person shooters, RTS, or rarely a 3D RPG. There would always be the initial WOW factor. But then after extended play the glasses got annoying, for some people eyestrain was a large factor, but mostly after a while, it just didn't seem worth it to even bother putting on the steroscopic glasses or head mounted display unit.

I think it'd be a far more compelling 3D experience to do something like what that guy that works at MS now did with modifying the Wii sensors. Where it tracks your head and moves the 3D objects in the screen according to where you are viewing it from so that it creates realistic 3D depth.

But, I'm a sucker for these things so I'll probably give it yet another try if/when it comes to consoles. :p

Regards,
SB

Well, at the time when I was experimenting with those systems, it was mostly first person shooters, RTS, or rarely a 3D RPG. There would always be the initial WOW factor. But then after extended play the glasses got annoying, for some people eyestrain was a large factor, but mostly after a while, it just didn't seem worth it to even bother putting on the steroscopic glasses or head mounted display unit.

Oh... I am not as concerned for FPS since you don't have to track the bullets with your eyes. You only track enemy movement.

I think it'd be a far more compelling 3D experience to do something like what that guy that works at MS now did with modifying the Wii sensors. Where it tracks your head and moves the 3D objects in the screen according to where you are viewing it from so that it creates realistic 3D depth.

Yes, I believe that's what they meant by 3D gaming these days. It coincides with the natural interface movement. Would be interesting to see whether and how they minimize the fatique.

EDIT: What may work is to track the ball after it's been hit (and you need to line up your men to receive it).

Now I really want to try the new controller and 3D in MLB The Show 2010 -- *IF* they can make it happen together.

Yes, this is one of those things I mentioned that I think could be reallyl, really perfect. Realistic swinging is almost impossible when you see the ball coming at you in 2D I think, and/or at the very least is going to greatly benefit from being able to see the ball come at you in 3D. 3D and motion controls really sound like a winning combination to me.

Another one on "Real Time Presentation":

[size=-2]Told you it feels like little people living inside your PS3 playing baseball[/size]

I'm not even a baseball fan, and this title is really tempting. I just can't see myself getting much playtime with it, but the quality of the game is obviously insanely high. If only they could make a hockey game with the same quality to put pressure on EA and 2K.

I bought The Show 09 because I couldn't help it. ^_^ (Not a fan too !)
A friend taught me how to play the game, but I think the only way for them to break out of the expert crowd is to use Arc.

Have another game mode (or a separate game with the same visuals), change/tune the game for casuals, or rather beginners.

EDIT: The expert mode of this game is a little like Gran Turismo professional mode for baseball. The batting is difficult (like in real life !). The newbie mode is ok, but still too challenging for "I'm feeling good" casual play.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/realism-of-mlb-10-the-show/

They spice up the game more:

* Real-Time Players in The Dugout and Bullpen -- players sitting in the bullpen will react to dynamic events

* Stadiums Experiences (Fireworks/HR/splash counters/clocks) -- more realistic stadium props

* Crowd Detail (Reaching over the rails, thundersticks, rally towels, detail) -- more animation and crowd accessories. In MLB 2009, you can already teach the crowd how to cheer, which I thought is pretty rad.

Thing that's always kept me from buying MLB is the reported poor online play.

Unlike some other first-party games, MLB doesn't actively have a public online beta test. Or at least I haven't heard of any like other first-party or Sony-published games.

They claimed improved online in the past but didn't turn out to be so. Will wait for reviews from the community.

I think the coherent marketing campaign is paying off. Too bad it took them 3 yrs to get it together but better late than never.

I still haven't learnt enough about baseball to get this. '08 sits unloved on my shelf. I'm assuming that there are no firm plans for a Euro release?

I haven't heard anything about EU release.

I am not sure if they will try to make the game more noob friendly when they add Arc support. I hope they do a casual mode, but they may add Arc for the sake of more realism (still targeting the baseball fans).

The motion controller may allow them to play with casuals (e.g. play with their sons). But the baseball simulation may still be too complex for people like you and me.

Even though I do not know half of the rules, I always get an urge to buy this when I see those gameplay videos...

BTW, I just love those new PS3 ads, really funny!

Back