MLB The Show 2011

patsu

Legend
Long... and I do mean l-o-n-g first look at MLB The Show 2011:
http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/topic/19852-mlb-the-show-2011-first-look/

The "usual" 3DTV and Move support.

I think wco81 would be interested in the online play:

For online sports fans, the team at Sony admits to past trouble when it comes to playing their game over the PlayStation Network, but say they are doing everything in their power to ensure a better, smoother, and lag-free experience for "MLB 11." "We've been working a lot on online," adds senior producer Jason Villa, "and right now with our testing it's as close to offline play as it gets. We're going to continue to improve the stability as much as we can. Some people will tell us they have great connections, others don't, and it's hard to determine what the cause is. You never really know until you ship and get out on the shelves, but believe me, we're doing our best to make sure it's as good as we can possibly get it."

Other online improvements include flexible divisions in leagues (2, 4, or 6), custom roster support for league play, and the ability for commissioners to set AI controlled teams so that you can play in a league with 30 teams even if you only have a handful of human players. Commissioners also have the new ability to simulate or reset games to help advance the league. In addition, there's a new XP system that will grant XP points whether gamers win or lose online. The winner will now get 75% while the loser gets 25% of the points, and Sony hopes this alleviates the problem of competitors simply pulling the plug on online games once they fall behind. Winning percentage will also play a factor in your skill rank and help determine whether you're a rookie, veteran, or legend, not just your overall XP value (so don't automatically assume someone with 5,000 points is brilliant at the game, look at their win percentage).

MLB The Show 2011 has one button gaming mode:
http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vid...rtual-athletes-debuts-show?readmore=fullstory

A few years ago, Smith wrote a letter to Sony's San Diego studio, the developers of the top-rated "MLB: The Show" series, and the producers were so moved by Smith's passionate words about baseball, the Cardinals and their video game, that Sony went ahead and created Smith's character in "MLB 10: The Show."

According to Smith, seeing the cyber version of himself gave him a feeling like never before. It was as if by some miracle his cerebral palsy ceased to exist nine innings at a time.

It's a feeling he wants to share with other disabled gamers.

Smith gets that chance in "MLB 11: The Show" as, thanks to the gamer's growing ties with Sony's development team, a new difficulty level has been added to the franchise that will make it possible for more gamers with disabilities to get their cracks at the plate against diamond kings like Tim Lincecum and Cliff Lee.

The mode is titled after a new organization Smith has created, the Association for Disabled Virtual Athletes, and the new feature makes it easier for gamers with disabilities to play, thanks to one-button controls. The computer takes over the action of running to the ball, so all you need to do is hit a button to throw to a base or swing the bat. This opens up "The Show" to even more kids like Smith who always dreamed of playing baseball, but for physical reasons beyond their control couldn't … until now.

Actually… Mr. Smith, you might as well rename the mode from "Disabled Virtual Athletes" to "Baseball Noob". I most likely will play using this mode coz I won't be able to complete the baseball sim otherwise.

Even if they add a Move mode for batting and pitching, I'll still use the DVA mode for quick games (which is 90% of the time).

Found out that Move is only supported in Home Run Derby.

Besides the graphics upgrade, the game is experimenting with microtransaction using prizes:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1140079p2.html

Another major addition is the Online Challenge of the Week. Each week Sony will present a challenge and invite players to post their best scores to compete for prizes. One potential challenge would be to hit 10 home runs with only three outs to play with. To make things more interesting, each challenge will have a bonus option that will give players big points even if they whiff on the main challenge. So if you only got eight home runs but hit a bonus challenge of three line drives to left field, you might still be able to compete.

These bonuses will also act as microtransactions. You'll get one round for free each week, but if you want to keep trying, you'll have to pay money -- 25 cents per try. Sony is still finalizing the kinds of prizes that will be at stake, but the company's hoping to make them lavish, potentially including an all-expense trip to the World Series.

Also didn't see the pre-order bonus before:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/28/mlb-11-the-show-pure-analog-control-system/

There’s 1 week left to pre-order MLB 11 The Show on PlayStation 3 for a FREE 30 day trial of Premium MLB.TV.

Probably hard to balance for online play ?

If the Move implementation is done well, perhaps people will want it in the bulk of the game. I will trade in my 2010 version and try this one.

I tried Home Run Derby, the Move mode. Really liked it. They made it relatively easy to hit a home run. The tracking is very responsive and "accurate" as expected.

It's a pity Move is not integrated into the full game. Probably made the game too easy for hardcore fans ?

I can't find the one button mode. I am counting on it to play the entire game this time. Have to read the manual. Game developers really need to go to UI courses. :devilish:

Yep, the whole thing. Seems like a lot of fun.

MLB 2012 is going to be pretty big from the looks of things, tonnes of features and a Vita version for on the go to boot.

I'll probably wait for a price drop. Hopefully they will throw PS+ members another Vita + PS3 bundle deal further down the road.

I am keen to check out a MLB The Show demo booth if one is available.

I regularly listen to the PSNation podcast, and know that Glenn is a huge fan of MLB and this game. Generally, this game seems to be very good though - I often hear that this is one of the best sports games period.

Day 1 for me. I've been waiting for a proper PS Move implementation, before buying. However, I didn't expect the lighting improvements, 1000 additional animations, ball physics, etc! Is it still 1920x1080/60fps? This will be my first MLB The Show purchase.

Here are some reviews.

http://www.psnation.org/2012/03/05/review-mlb-12-the-show-ps3/

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/21368/review-mlb-12-the-show-better-than-ever

Yap, I bought the last 2 games. MLB The Show has always impressed me with its quality, amount of content and the depth of the game.

If they give me the Vita game discount without requiring me to buy the PS3 game together, I will probably buy the PS3 game as usual. And may get the Vita version when I don't have anything else to play. Tying them both together for a $80 bundle appears expensive in my eyes.

Would :love: to try pitching with Move.

Back