MLB '09: The Show

New for MLB '09: The Show

-taunt your opponent online using a mic, and it will sound as though the taunts are coming from the stands

-700 new gameplay animations

-150 new personalized pitcher and batter routines

-400 new presentation animations

-dusk to night lighting transitions

-wear and tear on the field

-Jumbotron animations

-crowd wears weather-appropriate clothing

-all team mascots, including their signature dances/moves

-Online Season Leagues, with full functional drafts, and includes "flex scheduling" so you can play games out of order depending on which opponents of yours are online

-use your own music for when your player comes to bat

-Progressive Batting Performance (adjust your contact zone based on streaks/slumps)

-Post Game/In Game Pitcher and Battery Analysis

-Pitch grips (detailed pitch grips and arm angles for 17 different pitch types)

-revamped umpire personalities (each umpire will have his own strike zone)

-progressive commentary (dialogue better adapts to current actions and situations)

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/videogames/photo/2008/1216/mlb09_gallery_0_800x450.jpg

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/videogames/photo/2008/1216/mlb09_gallery_1_800x450.jpg

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/videogames/photo/2008/1216/mlb09_gallery_2_800x450.jpg

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/videogames/photo/2008/1216/mlb09_gallery_3_800x450.jpg

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/videogames/photo/2008/1216/mlb09_gallery_4_800x450.jpg

Source

:LOL: Same here ! I thought I was the only one.

I intend to get 09 too !

Heh, when a product is this polished (or at least as polished as 09 looks like it'll be) I find it difficult to resist. In the interim guess I'll have to internet-smarten myself up. :)

I'm a baseball fan, but I suck at baseball games. I got the 08 demo and thought it was good and it looked absolutely stunning.

08 is awesome IMHO. Best baseball game to date on a console. Hope 09 doesn't sacrifice gameplay for graphics...

I've held off. Haven't played a baseball game in almost 10 years.

Heard that Show 08 had all kinds of online issues, which they never addressed.

They're going to have to deliver rock solid online -- no excuse when football games (both NFL and soccer) do a much better job.

Also, would want multiplayer online. Like FIFA's 10 vs. 10 multiplayer mode.

10 vs 10 multiplayer for baseball would possibly be the most boring thing ever. Sorry, I'm a football fan and I think baseball is a snorefest since at least the whole team is sitting/waiting at all times (batting team)

Well there are 9 players per team in baseball.

And you can have up to 9 players per side. 2 vs. 2 would be good. Baseball games have supported multitap in the past.

On offense, you can have up to 3 additional players controlling base runners.

MLB '09: The Show Update via IGN

January 13, 2009 - If you're a baseball fan, you've probably exhausted every aspect of last year's baseball franchise modes and are eagerly awaiting the start of spring training. But if you wanted more control over your club's roster, look no further than MLB '09: The Show, which will expand on the Franchise mode significantly. According to a blog post by Kolbe Launchbaugh, Senior Designer of MLB '09, on PlayStation.Blog, the design team spent a lot of time making sure that they would "blow out the personnel aspects of the Franchise experience." As a result, spring training rosters will carry the full 40 man rosters, which will mean that players will need to pay attention to make sure that rookies and development prospects get their playing time to develop into new stars.

Players will also need to worry about assignments, waiver transactions, Minor League options and other elements of the roster during the regular season, as well as participating in the Amateur Draft and making supplemental picks during June. During each September of a season, rosters expand so players can make decisions on who get's the call and who doesn't for a club, as well as managing playoff rosters, since you can only replace players between series. Even the offseason appears to be much more in depth, including everything from offering arbitration to eligible players to focusing on the Rule 5 Draft. Apparently, according to Launchbaugh, this depth hasn't been limited solely to Franchise mode, because this will also be found within Season and Road To The Show. MLB '09: The Show will be released for all Sony systems on March 3.

Videos of a couple of stadiums...

Mets Stadium

Yankee Stadium

Any one tried the demo ?

Is there a site that teach me how to play the game ? I am losing every single inning here man.

I downloaded it, waiting forever.

But I downloaded '08 and never played it because I heard online was broken.

Any one tried the demo ?

Is there a site that teach me how to play the game ? I am losing every single inning here man.

here is some tips, from a former baseball player, that also works with the game well...good read if you have the time

http://www.postgamepub.com/happy-ho...atting-pitching-baserunning-and-fielding.html

here are some simple tips from the MLB The Show Devs themselves.

http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=401

quick hitting tips that I can give you.

to get your timing down....

just be patient and take some pitches early in the count, worst case scenario is that you have 3 pitches to find a good pitch that you might like.

swing late (hitting opposite field) to get your timing back if you go on a slump. So basically aim for the ball first and then swing when you find it (DON'T try to do both at the same time).....

stay away from the power swing....stick with "X" for now....use the power swing if you want in 3 balls - 0 strikes, 3-1, 3-2, 2-0, situations.

and try to stay away from low pitches....if it looks low, don't swing. If you strike out on a low, inside pitch.....just tip your hat to the pitcher for a great pitch and get ready with the next hitter.

Thanks for the links !

The game is rather technical. I think I need to read "Dummies for Baseball" first. ^_^

I don't fully understand the controls and the game mechanics (the indicators and icons). I should probably check out the Help screen for the demo too.

Thanks for the links !

The game is rather technical. I think I need to read "Dummies for Baseball" first. ^_^

I don't fully understand the controls and the game mechanics (the indicators and icons). I should probably check out the Help screen for the demo too.

This has got to be one of the worst demos I've ever seen in terms of trying to convince someone unfamiliar with the series to buy the game. I'm sure people who were already going to buy The Show '09 are thrilled by the changes, though.

This has got to be one of the worst demos I've ever seen in terms of trying to convince someone unfamiliar with the series to buy the game. I'm sure people who were already going to buy The Show '09 are thrilled by the changes, though.

as far as a demo...you are right...this happened last year as well, you just hop right into a game. There should be a menu...or in-game menu of video tips of how to play, for their demos.

the crazy thing is, this series is very user friendly....and you can play in variety of ways. Example, my friend plays his son (who is 5 years old). So his settings are like this.

My Friend- veteran mode and no adjustments

His Son -

rookie mode (I believe, you don't have to aim...you just time the swing)
auto fielding
auto base running
one button pitching (no meter)

and they have a fun time playing together as his son learns the game of baseball.... the kid is pretty good at timing the swing

there are also other gamers on forums I've come across who play in some what similar settings.....who just want to have fun.... it is just so rewarding to hit a baseball.

but yeah, the developers do a very good job of making the game accessible.

they just need to present these options in a different way maybe.

Just want to say that if you google "MLB The Show online manual", you will be able to find scans of the 2008 manual. It should be helpful for the demo too.

[size=-2]I left my copy with a friend.[/size]

Back