MLB '09: The Show

Played the demo some more, finally figured out how to hit, and reading pitches (or aspiring to) is rather fun!
I'm buying it.
I havnt watched ball since the Jays won the World Series, and I havnt played it since I was a child in elementary school.
But I'm buying it.
The production values are slick and the gameplay is fun once you figure out what the hell to do.

I wanted to pick it up together with KZ2 today but the GameStop I went to didn't have any. The store guy told me they would only receive a shipment on 3rd March.

The graphics are great, best in a sports game I've seen. However, I'm really annoyed by how, when the camera is focused on a player, it is rigidly locked onto the player's coordinates so that every twitch of the player is followed by the camera. This completely breaks the illusion of a televised game for me.

Found this piece of gem in GAF: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/scea-sports-mlb/300466-true-pinnacle-sports-gaming.html

Apparently it's from the lead designer of Madden 2010 ?

I just wanted to post over here in case the devs read this forum...

To the SCEA dev team: you guys have really set the bar as to what sports games should be. After a few of us got our hands on it, we have forced our entire Madden design team to go through the game, take notes, and come up with ideas that could apply to us - and the one universal happening has been that everyone has been 100% blown away by the detail and quality of the product. From the commentary to the animation to the graphics to the presentation to the depth...you guys knocked it out of the park (bad pun intended).

I don't want to make it look like our opinion matters more than anyone else or anything, but I did want to say - from the Madden design team - GREAT job to all those involved in making this year's game. You've set the bar extremely high for us and everyone else in this industry (which is a very good thing IMO).

- Ian

[size=-2]Something needs to be done with these baseball controls though. They are more complicated than anything I have ever seen. Still glad that I bought the game.[/size]

I agree with the Madden team. I popped this game in last night on a 60" 1080p plasma and my wife and 2 of my kids stopped and just started watching me play (my kids arent even into baseball....yet :) ).

Only nitpicks is that @1080p there does seem to be some hitches in framerate during the closeups, introductions, etc (but never during gameplay). Also, some of the transition animations still look awkward but thats perfectly understandable (but room for improvement for next game).

Couple of questions:

1. Is there anyplace with more info on how the pitcher/batter interface works? the manual does nothing to explain this in detail AFAIK.
2. And I know this is a stretch, can i play the same season on a PS3 and a PSP? Would be fantastic to play a game on a PSP during a commute and then sync the results up with my PS3 and continue my season from there. Pie in the sky, i know...

I know I laughed at someone for not being able to hit anything when at the bat...but I have to admit when I tried it I couldn't hit anything either.

One area of improvement needed is online reliability, at least last year.

Have they improved it?

They also need to add multiplayer online support. Maybe a RTTS mode online where several humans are controlling several different players. Sometimes, a player is going to be in the dugout for several innings until he's coming up to bat or is pitching.

I've heard some really bad things about MLB 2K9. I haven't played a baseball game in years and I'm really tempted to try this one out, having heard repeatedly that it's the best ballgame around. Maybe this weekend.

The demo had framerate issues in the batting area, like it was dropping 10-20 frames at a time. (in 1080 mode, anyway)
Also, there were some distracting collision detection issues in the demo, like players running through each other, hands passing through gloves...it was infrequent, but there nonetheless.
Hope these issues arent present in the retail code.

The demo had framerate issues in the batting area, like it was dropping 10-20 frames at a time. (in 1080 mode, anyway)
Also, there were some distracting collision detection issues in the demo, like players running through each other, hands passing through gloves...it was infrequent, but there nonetheless.

I dont know if its as low 10-20 frames but yes, this is where my complaint above was centered. However, its only during 'cutscenes' not during gameplay, it is distracting and does ruin the immersion somewhat though.

Also, there is some clipping. I havent seen players run through each other but i did Johan Santana put his glove hand on his hip and the white uniform did clip through it.

All said, these are minor criticisms in the grand scheme.

Did you buy it, so you could determine if you see the same things? Personally, I didn't witness those things in the demo @1080p. I will take another, more detailed, look at it.

I dont know if its as low 10-20 frames but yes, this is where my complaint above was centered. However, its only during 'cutscenes' not during gameplay, it is distracting and does ruin the immersion somewhat though.

Also, there is some clipping. I havent seen players run through each other but i did Johan Santana put his glove hand on his hip and the white uniform did clip through it.

All said, these are minor criticisms in the grand scheme.

Ahh, that's why I didn't notice that (skipped it).

dropping 10-20 frames at a time
dropping 10-20 frames at a time stil makes it 40-50 frames per second at 1920*1080 ;)
I was talking to the developers the other day, and there is a code you can put in to lock the entire game at 30 fps, so you will never have a single framedrop. sounds good no? pm me if you want the code/

Couple of questions:

1. Is there anyplace with more info on how the pitcher/batter interface works? the manual does nothing to explain this in detail AFAIK.

I have been trying to find the answer to the same question in vain. If Sony or the gaming press is reading this, please do a feature article on it. It will be worth your while. ;-)

2. And I know this is a stretch, can i play the same season on a PS3 and a PSP? Would be fantastic to play a game on a PSP during a commute and then sync the results up with my PS3 and continue my season from there. Pie in the sky, i know...

No idea but I agree it's a great idea.

Was looking for video guide for the game on YouTube. Found this interesting video instead:

I didn't know the devs modelled all the details in the game, including the stadium.

Lmfao at the first video. :LOL:

edit: Just watched the other two. :LOL:
Those are the funniest glitches I've seen in a while. The part where Jeter just has to touch home plate, but instead takes a dive a Mauer, then A-Rod starts sinking into the ground... LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back